Less than professional quality DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitoC

Nov 30, 2004
Look, I'll be the first to say that the new CD is spectacular. The packaging IS first rate in my opinion (I'm in the print marketing field) - albeit delicate...where are those jewel case versions?

Nonetheless, the DVD is horrible in all sense of the word - and I still see it on Inside Out's Official website as containing a 30 minute making of and a special acoustic song...what do we get, horrible bootleg quality crap. Okay, I know I don't have to buy it - but I did under false pretenses. Inside Out should change the Paradise Lost press release: http://www.insideout.de/catalog/images/SXParadiseLostBioengl.pdf

The addition of the DVD appears to me from a packaging perspective, to be a total afterthought...chuck the DVD in a promo sleeve and booger-glue it to the back of the CD? Come on, after all the die-cutting on the digi - that shit costs a mint to do - trust me.

Remember the days before torrents and CDr's? We had bootleg companies, pressing crap (and some excellent) quality stuff. The record compaines and bands stated what, that putting these mostly live bootleg recordings out there was a farse because what was put out was NOT QUALITY MATERIAL...so does Inside Out and Symphony X call this DVD quality? If so, our definitions are drastically different. I have bootlegs that make some official stuff seem amatuer.

Okay, rant over - except that Inside Out should do something about the release with false information - and the band too; or explain where fans can find this 30-minute making of and acoustic song - even if it doesn't exist or even if it will be put out later, someone should let the fans know. But from what I can tell, this stuff does not exist; at least not yet. Though you'd think after 5 years, they'd have 2 DVD's worth of cool stuff - animated artwork? Sorry, I digressed into a dream. Anyway...

...I'd like to thank the band for the CD. It is truely fantastic. Fantastic playing, artwork, and about damn time! See you on tour!

Flame away - because I know it's coming! But where can I get those jewel case versions?

Tito

The quality is horrible, and I honestly would be extremely disappointed if I had paid anything extra for it. But being it was free, I'm not going to complain. Hell, the start of the DVD actually pretty much tells you the quality sucks, so...

I didn't go back to check the InsideOut site, but I would agree that if they are promoting the DVD and selling it as something worth paying for, then they should retract that because it's not. As a freebie, it's fine though.

Oh great. I was only buying the CD for the sake of having it, nice to know there's no studio footage. That's the only reason I ordered it... 5 years and this... I'm just at a loss for words... *waits for VIII...* :(

This may not be true of all places, but I have seen the jewel case version that is $1 cheaper than the CD digi but the CD digi is $4 less that the CD/ DVD digi...to me $4 more than just the CD version means that I am paying for a DVD that is obviously "not as advertised."

Now granted, perhaps the band is holding off on this material for later, but the advertising could be more above board.

Again, not a complaint, just a comment!

So now we see why Romeo and the band were so adamant about not wanting to release a DVD till every thing was perfect from their perspective. Yet weekly posts called for a DVD. So, here's your f#@$%ing DVD. Get off their backs.

the CD digi is $4 less that the CD/ DVD digi...to me $4 more than just the CD version means that I am paying for a DVD that is obviously "not as advertised."

Where did you see this? FYE has a $4 higher base price for the CD than Best Buy, but I think that's going to be the price even after the DVD is no longer a part of the package. They are selling it as a "sale" price of $14.99 right now with the DVD.

All I can say is that if the same retailer is offering a DVD included version and charging $4 more than the no DVD version, they are ripping you off. No offense to the band, but the included DVD is in no way worth $4. For free, it's fine, but it really has no value on its own, and I'm pretty sure the guys in the band would agree with this. Hence the "Bonus" moniker attached to it on the FYE version.

So now we see why Romeo and the band were so adamant about not wanting to release a DVD till every thing was perfect from their perspective. Yet weekly posts called for a DVD. So, here's your f#@$%ing DVD. Get off their backs.
Where did this come from? It doesn't follow at all.

You seem to be suggesting the band bent to pressure from fans of this forum, which is utter nonsense. If Symphony X were that suggestible, we would have seen a horrific unfinished album years ago... It looks more like IO pushed for extra material for a special edition, rather than a concerted effort from the band to produce a DVD.
No one said "Please supply us with home footage" - people wanted a properly recorded DVD. I would still like a properly recorded DVD.

Some people are really taking this too seriously. The DVD is a fun extra, and has some cool footage. Some bad footage too, but it would have been a little foolish to expect a proffessional quality DVD slapped onto the album!

Some people are really taking this too seriously. The DVD is a fun extra, and has some cool footage. Some bad footage too, but it would have been a little foolish to expect a proffessional quality DVD slapped onto the album!

When you pay $4-5 extra for a bonus DVD, don't you want to get your moneys worth? Why pay $5 for a DVD with bogus footage when I can get much better quality out of Youtube. What also interests me is on the Prog Power forum, Glen stated he would have given SX the PPVII and PPIV sets which WERE pro shot, and pro mixed, absolutely FREE of charge. Way to drop multiple bars of soap on that one InsideOut.

When you pay $4-5 extra for a bonus DVD, don't you want to get your moneys worth? Why pay $5 for a DVD with bogus footage when I can get much better quality out of Youtube. What also interests me is on the Prog Power forum, Glen stated he would have given SX the PPVII and PPIV sets which WERE pro shot, and pro mixed, absolutely FREE of charge. Way to drop multiple bars of soap on that one InsideOut.

:lol: That last line was fu*king funny!

Yeah, the serious factor combined with the expectation factor is just killing people. I'll watch mine later tonight, but at least the dvd even has a disclaimer regarding the source material. "These clips are "home movies" from the bands archives. The quality of some is better than others."

It is what it is. It's out and now we can wait for the pro shot dvd. And then wait to hear people complain about their favorite song being left off or some other silly nonsense.

What also interests me is on the Prog Power forum, Glen stated he would have given SX the PPVII and PPIV sets which WERE pro shot, and pro mixed, absolutely FREE of charge. Way to drop multiple bars of soap on that one InsideOut.

What a wonderful question. One I'd love to hear answered. It would certainly be more insightful to hear something about this from our beloved forum mods, rather than read their cutting sarcasm every time someone makes a SX related comment that deviates from the herd.

This may not be true of all places, but I have seen the jewel case version that is $1 cheaper than the CD digi but the CD digi is $4 less that the CD/ DVD digi...to me $4 more than just the CD version means that I am paying for a DVD that is obviously "not as advertised."

Now granted, perhaps the band is holding off on this material for later, but the advertising could be more above board.

Again, not a complaint, just a comment!
Be thankful you're not paying Australian prices...
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/search/artistid/165023

I'll be posting a statement in a bit from the band's management regarding the dvd content, and the label's been instructed to remove that old description from their site. Suffice it to say that the band's not happy that the fans feel like they were ripped off, and I discussed it at length with both MJR and the band's manager yesterday; it's being dealt with.

I didn't mind the dvd. It is cool to see what Sym X looks like in live form(since they don't come anywhere near me). Yes the sound is rough on many of the tracks, but the Hollywood songs were killer. Evolution, shot in Madrid, was good, too.

I'll be posting a statement in a bit from the band's management regarding the dvd content, and the label's been instructed to remove that old description from their site. Suffice it to say that the band's not happy that the fans feel like they were ripped off, and I discussed it at length with both MJR and the band's manager yesterday; it's being dealt with.

Well I haven't bought the CD yet to warrant a complaint of the live material of what have you. But IMO? If you bought the CD for the band's music, that's all you need...the music.

MJR has said that they are soon going to be working on a live DVD if I'm not mistaken.

I dunno, I would just be happy that you got such a quality release for waiting 4-5 years from such an amazing band that ALWAYS delivers.

If you don't like the footage, don't watch it. You didn't spend an arm and a leg to buy it. Go to a concert if you can, record it, and post it on YouTube for all to see until the DVD comes out. :loco:

Status
Not open for further replies.