http://algol.ath.cx/~erik/lethal/

Tracklisting:
1 - Devastation
2 - Lethal Injection
3 - Silent Strike
4 - Violent Solution
5 - Cleansed in Flames
6 - Tormentor

Welcome to Thrash metal terror. It’s either in your blood, or it’s not. It’s that simple. Being fortunate enough to have lived through the Thrash filled 80’s, denim and leather, a decade ending with arena-filled shows like the Clash of the Titans tour, this centerpiece genre of metal is always running through my veins. Probably the most interesting aspect of Thrash is that it has NEVER been improved upon. It’s been tweaked, and it’s been thrown into other genres, but the world has never seen anything surpass what was once accomplished before, all those 20 years ago.

And so along comes LETHAL in 2004. Rather than insist on progression, or modifying something to fit a modern day mallrat sound (see: anything on the MTV2 airwaves), these four teenage guys from Sweden pay homage to those that once stood before them. Bands that evolved from the Punk heyday, lifted the metallic sounds of the NWOBHM, and formed an entirely revolutionary genre called Thrash. When everything went wrong in the 80’s world of Hair/Glam metal, Thrash kept the integrity and technicality alive. It was always very genuine, and that’s just one way of describing LETHAL.

“Devastation” kicks the album off with a melodious intro, sounding curiously like BLUE OYSTER CULT’s “Don’t Fear the Reaper” funnily enough, but left eating dust as all hell breaks loose in a mass riff-tight Thrash frenzy. Listen out for the Kirk Hammet inspired solo sounding like it fell off the “And Justice for All” bandwagon; “Lethal Injection” sounds like something lifted from SEPULTURA’s Beneath the Remains, it’s probably as close to a SEPULTURA riff/tempo breakdown as you’re going to get here; “Silent Strike” delivers lots of SLAYER’isms with a “Raining Blood” thumping intro leading into an all out Thrash-filled frenzy, open E strings hopelessly begging for mercy at the assault of an “Angel of Death”-like sweeping riff.

Best song on the demo? “Cleansed in Flames”. Well, the entire demo is a Thrash metal attack as if it was 1984 all over again, but this was the one track that had me hit the ‘repeat’ button on my CD player more than once. Probably my favorite main verse riff, I just like the trills in the guitar play. It keeps the track bouncing along.

A few things worth noting at this point; some of the guitar solos are completely whacked out in a ‘Kerry King’ kind of way – lots of frenzied fret board runs becoming drenched in lashings of whammy bar dive-bombs. Also, the vocals are more extreme than your average mid-80’s Thrash delivery, but refraining enough from falling into a modern-day Tomas ‘I couldn’t sound more bored if I tried’ Lindberg territory.

Most importantly, however, is the honesty in what you’re listening to. Having obviously fallen into a semi-obsession with an era that existed at strength some 18-20 years ago, LETHAL are representative of the youth of today influenced by albums originally released before their time. Just as the generation before them grew up listening to the likes of BLACK SABBATH that may have predated their own adolescent existence, this is the circle of life in metal history: the best influence always stems from the innovators of their art.

LETHAL: Thrash metal terror coming your way! And with 2004 turning into the year for the Thrash metal comeback, they couldn’t have picked a better time to deliver their own shell-shock blitzkrieg.

8/10
JayKeeley

At time of writing, LETHAL have been signed to the Witches Brew record label.

Lethal makes my hair grow!

I think Violent Solution is my favorite track, but all of them make me want to engage in THRASH METAL TERROR.

NAD said:
Lethal makes my hair grow!

I think Violent Solution is my favorite track, but all of them make me want to engage in THRASH METAL TERROR.
Have you heard the Whiplash cover on their site? It needs an "Anasthesia (Pulling Teeth)" intro. Perhaps you can send over your outtakes and Erik can blend it in. :D

Also, Sorath, if you have the album cover on the web somewhere, let me know and I'll post the image into the body of the review. Can't let Bob or Erik's drawing efforts go to waste. :kickass: