Lets discuss Gojira

I Love Gojira but no, I would never say that they're on the same level as Opeth.

The vocals did turn me off initially at first as well. After persisting with Sirius a little I stopped caring. Though even now I would still say imo they are nothing special. He wouldn't be anywhere amongst my favorite metal vocalists.

Love the drumming and the overall drum sound of Gojira (based on The Link and FMTS). Fucking groovy. What's wrong (or even noteworthy) about the vocals? Pretty standard if you ask me.

The vocals, at least on FMTS, sounded very emotional to me. For an album despairing the slow loss of our planet, I was moved by the tone. It took a bunch of listens to get into, but wow, once it clicked!

I can't wait to buy the new one (no leak, no stream). Phenomenal band.

I agree with affinityband, Gojira really sounds like a contemporary morbin angel.

Also, have you noticed how gojira's lyrics are vastly different from other (extreme?) metal bands? They actually sing about earthly themes, not abstract, dark, gloomy evil things or emotions. I reckon some of gojira's lyrics are actually quite positive, which is very original

it was alright I reckon, better than most, worse than others. I think the woman in the video has some connection to one of the band members, a relative or something I've heard.

the song is another story thought, I love it,

I love Gojira - the new album isn't their finest, but still definitely worth listening to. Its second half is a lot better than the first (in particular, I think #3 A Sight to Behold is the worst song they've ever recorded) so give it a full listen.

As many have already mentioned, From Mars To Sirius is their best. I'd recommend starting there for anyone who hasn't heard the band.

Also, their live DVD, The Link Alive, is spectacular. Wonderful production and footage, and they couldn't have captured a more energetic, fun show to be at.

They're currently touring with In Flames and All That Remains for anyone interested.

Yeah, I'm going to try to go to that In Flames show... only for Gojira though. I don't really like In Flames. I hope that they get a long set.

Gojira I think is either hit or miss. They bore the hell out of me, and believe me, I have TRIED to get into them but their songs seem too alike. It's all the same formula over and over again: guitar, drums, bass, occasional interesting riffs, half-singing yelling vocals, lyrics about nature or whatever, etc. Some songs are awesome (like that long one on their newest album and the first track off of FMTS) but for the most part I don't see the appeal.

Also nowhere near as good as Morbid Angel

^
I thought that at first, and its because it sounds like they go to a limited set of riffs and beats to arrange their songs. Kind of like Meshugga with zero solos. But after repeated listens, the songs sink in, and you end up hearing, well, variation.

BTW, my friend played me the new one on the way to Opeth and I was like ::kickass:

lol - I forgot how n00bular some UM users are.

Gojira is ok. From Mars to Sirius is a good album, but that's about it. The new one doesn't have much punch, but I'll try it again since a few of you mentioned that it took a few spins to get it.

Well the first time I heard Gojira,it blew me away.It was the first track from the new one(Ouroboros).The Way Of All Flesh is a pretty good album,IMO.Made me wanna listen to their older stuff and they're amazing,especially From Mars To Sirius.