Lies

Dhatura

New Metal Member
Mar 19, 2003
a pretty how town
Visit site
I don't know if you're familiar with Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, anyway, at the end when the main character goes back to London from Africa, he meets the fiancée of a strange charismatic evil man who died in the jungle, and lies to her that this man died with her name on his lips. But he said "The horror, the horror!" Sorry if you knew all of this.

One of my students wrote in her end-term paper about this: "at the end when Marlow tells her that Kurtz's last word was her name suggests how men really are: they have to lie, this is the European way of life. Some even say it can be a knight's response to a lady but I think the first is true."

Apart from her saying this is how "men" are, I'm curious what you think about this - do you think this is the European way and there's no escape? It makes me deeply sad.

Like this, isn't it?

"They were conquerors. and for that you want only brute force- nothing to boast of, when you have it, since your strength is just an accident arising from the weakness of others. They grabbed what they could get for the sake of what was to be got. It was just robbery with violence, aggravated murder on a great scale, and men going at it blind- as is very proper for those who tackle a darkness. The conquest of the earth, which mostly means the taking it away from those who have a different complexion or slightly flatter noses than ourselves, is not a pretty thing when you look into it too much. What redeems it is the idea only. An idea at the back of it, not a sentimental pretence but an idea; and an unselfish belief in the idea- something you can set up, and bow down before, and offer a sacrifice to....".

Not accepting reality as is, sure sure, very human and very dumb, I'm dumb too though, at least sometimes.

Or perhaps he was on about the horror of marriage.

Haha, the horror, the horror!

I'm not against marriage any more though. I'm not threatened though :lol:

I didn't mean the novel itself, but rather the comment on it. Of course, Marlow tells why he didn't tell her the truth, I mean that's okay, it doesn't really matter, maybe it's better that way.

I was just shocked by that thought that our civilization or society or human relationships are built on lies.

cartoon.jpg

I like that. Maybe it's true :D

For example, here's irony. 8 times out of ten I do mean what I say, but I have to make it look like I don't, otherwise I'd look too open. So, in fact, I disguise the truth as a truth that looks like a lie. Or as a lie that looks like truth? Ehh, I can't even follow it.

what a crock of bullshit. i dont even know where to begin, so i just wont bother. my answer to everything.

by the way everyone, i've lost my fucking 3000word art essay, i have no back up and have misplaced my hard copy. it was supposed to be in today. the moderator is supposed to be looking at this project. i am up shit creak and i definately do not have a fucking god damn paddle. see new thread.

blackeyed said:
what a crock of bullshit. i dont even know where to begin, so i just wont bother. my answer to everything.

by the way everyone, i've lost my fucking 3000word art essay, i have no back up and have misplaced my hard copy. it was supposed to be in today. the moderator is supposed to be looking at this project. i am up shit creak and i definately do not have a fucking god damn paddle. see new thread.

ive a 9000 word or so dissertation if u want it, its design related though, BUT theres pictures :) its only 3 years old

Believe me, Blackeyed, I am pissed off right now, I am pissed off most of the time these days, I am also pissed off by what I've just started to contemplate about within the confines of this thread, but still I don't say what you say is bullshit, ffs, even though I do think it is sometimes :lol:

Dhatura said:
Believe me, Blackeyed, I am pissed off right now, I am pissed off most of the time these days, I am also pissed off by what I've just started to contemplate about within the confines of this thread, but still I don't say what you say is bullshit, ffs, even though I do think it is sometimes :lol:

if youre that pissed off could you stop putting ':lol:' at the end of every single post of yours? that pisses me off ffs.

yis can all fuck and die septic, you shower of poxbottles. I hate you all. shitehawks and stockings of piss to a man who have no more right to live on gods green earth than a fucking weasel.

Im pissed off y'see ":lol:"