Lies

Su Jacko said:
As simple as you can, what is this thread about...really, no really what is it about? :erk:

horse.jpg

;)

It's about lies and lying in the western world, only the boys misinterpreted it and took a huff :dopey:

calm down dhatura for christs sake. i wasnt saying your thread or what you have to say is bullshit, i was saying that 'its the european way' is a crock of shite.
but if you wana take it to heart i propose a duel since ikeaboy shit out of my last proposed duel.

Dhatura said:
Why did you all become so defensive?

a) "Apart from her saying this is how "men" are, I'm curious what you think about this - do you think this is the European way and there's no escape? It makes me deeply sad."

b) "For example, here's irony. 8 times out of ten I do mean what I say, but I have to make it look like I don't, otherwise I'd look too open. So, in fact, I disguise the truth as a truth that looks like a lie. Or as a lie that looks like truth? Ehh, I can't even follow it."

c) I got pissed off at being told it was all bullshit.

I thought I might get some opinion posts like Allan's but it seems my points weren't clear enough. Sorry.
Men & women: I believe women are more sensitive to social pressure and, hence, make more effort to present themselves as being well within socially acceptable boundaries. This is the main reason why women would lie, as was shown by Allan's link. Now why would men lie? To obtain or maintain power I think. Look at politicians, but also on lower levels in society this can be seen. Do men lie more than women? This depends on what the subject is. I think a similar study as the Allan link, but with a different question asked, will show that men lie more than women.
European & American: From international politics and newspaper background stories and own experiences I conclude that Europeans are more thoughtful, less individualistic, have a heavier burden of history (lessons to learn from) and are less flexible and less optimistic than Americans. Americans are more action-oriented and are "do"-people. As for men and women I believe that it depends on the subject whether Europeans or Americans lie more.
b) I know what you mean and I do it too. It's for self-protection indeed. Part of human nature I'd say.
c) I'd be pissed off too.
d) And here's a smile :)

blackeyed said:
calm down dhatura for christs sake. i wasnt saying your thread or what you have to say is bullshit, i was saying that 'its the european way' is a crock of shite.
but if you wana take it to heart i propose a duel since ikeaboy shit out of my last proposed duel.

Well, you didn't mention "it's the European way", so how was I supposed to interpret it when you just wrote it's bullshit, not specifying anything except for your lost essay?

It was yesterday, I'm calm now, so no duel.

peace.jpg

Alwin said:
European & American: From international politics and newspaper background stories and own experiences I conclude that Europeans are more thoughtful, less individualistic, have a heavier burden of history (lessons to learn from) and are less flexible and less optimistic than Americans. Americans are more action-oriented and are "do"-people. As for men and women I believe that it depends on the subject whether Europeans or Americans lie more.
Yes also blacks tend to rob stuff and germans are inclined to march around trying to take over the world :ill:

wtf is a european anyway?? nationality?? ethnic group?? tribe?? or just any westerner who's not a septic tank?? :erk: I probably have more in common with yanks than some of my "fellow" europeans

@Bambi: do you read newspapers, follow international politics, etc? If you do then I'm sure you understand what I mean. Apart from that: it's a generalisation, get over it.

In the context of the novel, it rather means the British Empire and other European colonizer nations, cause that's what's opposed to the "non-civilized" world. I'd say European for her means the western world, or western civilization, or consumer civilization, or oppressor civilization, America included, or at least the western European part of it.

For example, I'm not a European :D

Dhatura said:
In the context of the novel, it rather means the British Empire and other European colonizer nations, cause that's what's opposed to the "non-civilized" world. I'd say European for her means the western world, or western civilization, or consumer civilization, or oppressor civilization, America included, or at least the western European part of it.

For example, I'm not a European :D
Different story: in the western world image is important, we get to a society in which you literally have to sell yourself by means of a personal marketing strategy. Consider job interviews, meeting new people and wanting to come across as "cool", fitting in with the group, networking, etc. This implies it is sometimes convenient to be creative with the truth about yourself to others. In this sense, there is probably more lying going on in western society as compared to other countries. However, lying can also take the form of corruption, politrics, nepotism, etc. which are more widespread outside of the western world I think. And what about the image of keeping the family honour high? In general I think western people don't lie more or less but differently.

Alwin said:
@Bambi: do you read newspapers, follow international politics, etc? If you do then I'm sure you understand what I mean. Apart from that: it's a generalisation, get over it.

I do, and i've concluded from the sources that you're conclusion is based on that your conclusion is so generalised that its meaniningless. So yes, i understand what you mean, i just think youre wrong. Wheres the point in making generalisations that are so broad that they're meaningless?
I think we need more social studies in this area. they always help :erk:

Ive also concluded that you think the term european has some meaning beyond being a person who lives on the asian penisula (which i dont :tickled: )

go to google and search on "europeans and americans"

you'll see just how meaningless these generalisations are...