Line 6 Helix - pod replacement

Still hearing junk in the 3k-5k range and an abnormal, un-lifelike tightness in the bass and low mids across all the amp models. It sounds closer to the real thing than the HD line, but I still think Line 6 deliberately "cleans up" most of their amp models so the tones are easier to work with out of the box, since they know much of their user base isn't going to know the difference and just wants to record dj0nt demos. I'm pretty egalitarian about amp modeling- the TSE X50 and Recabinet sound fantastic- but I just don't hear anywhere near that level of quality or realism from the Helix. But more power to you if you like it- Sturgis is using POD Farm patches from 2003 and still making records with it.

Still hearing junk in the 3k-5k range and an abnormal, un-lifelike tightness in the bass and low mids across all the amp models. It sounds closer to the real thing than the HD line, but I still think Line 6 deliberately "cleans up" most of their amp models so the tones are easier to work with out of the box, since they know much of their user base isn't going to know the difference and just wants to record dj0nt demos. I'm pretty egalitarian about amp modeling- the TSE X50 and Recabinet sound fantastic- but I just don't hear anywhere near that level of quality or realism from the Helix. But more power to you if you like it- Sturgis is using POD Farm patches from 2003 and still making records with it.

Line 6 somehow gets dinged for "cleaning up their models and making them unrealistic and easy to work with" and yet also for "requiring endless tweaking to get a usable tone". Let's not also forget that their " characteristic" sound is somehow fizzy, boomy, muffled, scooped, AND harsh in the mids all at the same time.

Too funny....anyway, I play 99.95 percent of the time in E standard on a 6 string, so "tight djentiness" ain't what I'm looking for. In fact, I own X50 v2 and Recabinet 4/5, and I have no problem reaching for Helix over them. I've A/B/Ced them in my DAW with the same IRs. They all sound great. Anything beyond that is nitpicking to me....like choosing between George Lynch's Soldano tone, his Dual Rec tone and his Randall rig.

Line 6 somehow gets dinged for "cleaning up their models and making them unrealistic and easy to work with" and yet also for "requiring endless tweaking to get a usable tone". Let's not also forget that their " characteristic" sound is somehow fizzy, boomy, muffled, scooped, AND harsh in the mids all at the same time.

Too funny....anyway, I play 99.95 percent of the time in E standard on a 6 string, so "tight djentiness" ain't what I'm looking for. In fact, I own X50 v2 and Recabinet 4/5, and I have no problem reaching for Helix over them. I've A/B/Ced them in my DAW with the same IRs. They all sound great. Anything beyond that is nitpicking to me....like choosing between George Lynch's Soldano tone, his Dual Rec tone and his Randall rig.
To be honest the Helix's greatest value to me would be as a midi foot controller,considering a Liquid Foot+ 12+ is almost a grand and the RJM Mastermind 10 is $1300 and the 16 the same price as the Helix.

I have a POD XT Pro & footboard - but instead of upgrading to the Helix, I'll simply get a 44 Magnum poweramp and an AMT CP-100 and load my own IRs that way. Best option imo (if you already own an older POD).
See Lasse's video with the POD XT Pro going into Two Notes Wall of Sound:

I have a POD XT Pro & footboard - but instead of upgrading to the Helix, I'll simply get a 44 Magnum poweramp and an AMT CP-100 and load my own IRs that way. Best option imo (if you already own an older POD).
See Lasse's video with the POD XT Pro going into Two Notes Wall of Sound:

Sounds better than any other Line 6 peoduct I've heard before or since as far as hardware goes.

hope it´s not too late to chime in. i´ve read on the L6 page they took a new approach to modeilng the amps. they took the circuit boards of the amps and profiled them bit by bit and set the individual parts back together on the digital realm. in my mind that should make for a pretty accurate sound. but bottom line i think the user has much more of an impact on how the gear can sound. i´ve also heard terrible tones done with the Axe or even real amps and incredible tones with free plugins. also the Pod HD can give you sick tones when you know how to use it. if anyone is interested here´s what i´m getting out of that thing:

it´s not for promotion sake, just an example. sorry if that comes across the wrong way here for my first post :)

so i also wouldn´t give up on the Helix just yet. stupid thing for me is with my current studio setup there´s nothing i can´t do that the Helix can do, so the modeling is the only thing that has to convince me. and i don´t think i can dish out 1.5k for a bit better sound. and i´m also concerned about L6´s customer support and their general way of handling things. i wouldn´t want to be tide down to them for a piece of gear that costs me so much.

hope it´s not too late to chime in. i´ve read on the L6 page they took a new approach to modeilng the amps. they took the circuit boards of the amps and profiled them bit by bit and set the individual parts back together on the digital realm. in my mind that should make for a pretty accurate sound. but bottom line i think the user has much more of an impact on how the gear can sound. i´ve also heard terrible tones done with the Axe or even real amps and incredible tones with free plugins. also the Pod HD can give you sick tones when you know how to use it. if anyone is interested here´s what i´m getting out of that thing:

it´s not for promotion sake, just an example. sorry if that comes across the wrong way here for my first post :)

so i also wouldn´t give up on the Helix just yet. stupid thing for me is with my current studio setup there´s nothing i can´t do that the Helix can do, so the modeling is the only thing that has to convince me. and i don´t think i can dish out 1.5k for a bit better sound. and i´m also concerned about L6´s customer support and their general way of handling things. i wouldn´t want to be tide down to them for a piece of gear that costs me so much.

Is the price justified in your opinion?

Is the price justified in your opinion?

at this point from what i know i´d say yes because the Helix has much more to offer than amp modeling. it also has lots of features as interface. it´s basically a whole studio setup in itself. i´ve been told you can set up all its virtual I/O´s to reamp with it internally, so no need for an extra interface and DI box and what not. but when you´re just interested in the modeling an not much else you might as well look elsewhere. i find some plugins are getting really good lately.