Line 6 Spider III HD150

Aug 16, 2008
London, UK
fb.com
Hey, I'm posting this in behalf of my band's guitar player.

He may get a really cheap one new and would like to know if it's really worth it, he doesn't have money to get a better amp (say peavey/mesa, etc)..

He has a Hughes and Kettner atm, it sucks basically. He got the chance to demo a Spider 3 150 and was pretty impressed, wasn't expecting that...

So anyone owns it and what do you think of it? This is mainly for live playing... he thought of instead of buying a new cab he could replace the speakers in his "Hughes and Kettner" 4x12... What do you think about that as well?

Thanks

i don´t like it at all, i think he could grab a better sounding amp, but if is really cheap, i can see it as a bad deal. only good think i may think about the spider is its volume.

I would have to vote no on the Spider series.. I just felt it sounds way to fake/artificial and the distortion is very fizzy. I'm sure if he saved up a little more he could find a good deal on a used head. Check out the Peavey XXL. Good Luck man!

My current co-guitarist has a Crate Flexwave 120 combo, and I gotta be honest, the orange channel on that thing sounds...really good. Not recording-worthy good, but at band practice it runs with my Dual Rec/Stiletto 4x12 stack no problem - anyone who wants a good practice/gigging amp with three channels, built in FX, and good footswitchability, check out the Crate Flexwave series, I'm not kidding! And they make a head too; the cool thing is, you can set the built in FX to be on for a channel, and then save it so they'll come back to that setting whenever you switch back to that channel (e.g. delay on the red channel for solos), as well as being able to just toggle FX on or off via the footswitch.

HOWEVER...avoid Marshall MG's like the plague! :ill: SO harsh at high volumes (my last co-guitarist had an MG100 combo, youch :erk: )

DUDE I forgot about that series! (Crate Flexwave) I used to jam on my cousin's when were in middle school. I thought it sounded good but I remember it lost a lot of tone and created lots of feedback in the higher volume range. That was awhile back though so my memory might be a little fizzy like Line 6's distortion.

Well actually, the Flexwave series is only a year or two old, though you could be forgiven for confusing it with the 120-watt dirt cheap SS combos Crate has been making for decades :lol: Still, I've played a lot of those, and the Flexwave orange channel rapes 'em IMO! The red isn't bad either, but it's much more typical super-scoop SS nonsense, and the orange still has plenty of gain

Yeah, you're right, I looked around and found out it was the SHOCKWAVE.. That thing wrecked at volumes that wouldn't piss off neighbors.

gt3500.jpg

I read your post metaltastic, I will look into that and speak to him. I always warned him about the Line 6, and that it sucks A LOT, I heard one myself a few months ago... and wanted to throw up... But our drummer was telling him that it was cheap and that he heard him and it has a really good sound etc... I told him I couldn't believe him.. but hey.. it's a drummer we're talking about :p

Bahahahahahahahhaa, that thing is staggeringly ugly :lol:

Hell yes it is! Dude back in the day a half stack was godly no matter what and as long as I could play some lame Metallica riffs through something BIG, that was all I needed. :lol: BTW I believe that it got stolen from my cousin's home a couple of years ago.... I feel worse for the thief than my cousin.

I read your post metaltastic, I will look into that and speak to him. I always warned him about the Line 6, and that it sucks A LOT, I heard one myself a few months ago... and wanted to throw up... But our drummer was telling him that it was cheap and that he heard him and it has a really good sound etc... I told him I couldn't believe him.. but hey.. it's a drummer we're talking about :p

Yeah man and plus it can't cut through the mix worth shit. How long has he been playing?

4/5 years I guess? You can check out our myspace it's in my signature... Although that was recorded with a Dual Rect into a mesa 4x12 os... But he wants this for live playing, what about a POD x3?

4/5 years I guess? You can check out our myspace it's in my signature... Although that was recorded with a Dual Rect into a mesa 4x12 os... But he wants this for live playing, what about a POD x3?

Well I'm sure he's got to the process of developing an ear for tone? I've never had any personal experience with the POD X3 but from what I hear it has problems getting through the mix like the Line 6 Spiders.

He's never got much into getting to know better amps and their features etc... I think I may know more about it than him... He should research more obviously and try out in various guitar stores... but the main problem here is the cash :p