Line 6 Spider III HD150

Yes he should! lol. I've had so many damn amps it's not even funny. BUT you live and learn and I've found what works best for me at the moment. I'd say look into to that Crate Flexwave Marcus mentioned. He has a good ear for amps that I usually agree with him on. Or like I mentioned earlier the Peavey XXL I used to own was cheap and sounded pretty damn good. Check out clips from MetalJonsey (I think that's how you spell it) on a band he just recently worked with.

Yeah, the XXL does seem like a pretty sweet amp, Mark's clips do sound good (and he's MetalJonesy, you were close Brett ;)) - however, it doesn't have built-in FX, which to me defeats the purpose of going solid-state/digital, when an all-tube Peavey Ultra head (predecessor to the XXX) can be had on ebay for like $400 used. I bought my HD147 simply so when I'm playing small places with short set-up times (an inevitability in a college-town), I can literally have a guitar, one cable, the amp and cab, and the amp's footswitch (which controls and displays the amp's built-in tuner) and be set, and it's working out great! Come to think of it, I got mine for $480 shipped on ebay, so tell him to look for one, it's by far the best bet of the digital/solid state amps with built-in FX!

I've got a Bogner/Line6 Spider Valve 212 lying around that a friend left here and I don't think that ive gotten one usable tone out of it, the only use it has for me as of now is that i run my Rockmaster preamp through the poweramp and v30's of the spider, which sounds pretty decent i might add. Honestly its his choice as to where he wants to have an amp with 5,000 presets and effects, or a crisp tone.

Hell, im not sure how good Krank cabs are but you can get a krank rev jr stack with cab for around $7-800 I believe.

The Pod X3 is sick!!!
If you want to hear the sounds recorded check out my bands myspace
All I do for Live purposes is turn the mids up a little bit more and it cuts through the mix just fine
but
I run it through the effects loop of my B-52 AT100 half stack
so your guitarist would still need a half stack to run the pod through

and a huge NO on that spider III if you haven't already decided against it
hahaha
way too fizzy

and the Crate stack that Metaltastic is talking about is actually a really good amp for the money
I owned one before I got my tube stack and I could get some pretty decent tones out of it
definitely worth the money if you are looking for something cheap