Line 6's new amp is

Almost as crappy of an idea as their spider valve series.. I'm still puzzled why I got one back then. It's like the worst of both worlds. Shitty in tone, heavy in weight..

They sound shit but they've sold a disgusting amount of Spider amps - it's almost a rite of passage to have one when you start out.

I hope Yamaha push them to do something cool for once

I hope Yamaha push them to do something cool for once
But they can push Line 6 in other direction - to gain even more money for same shit in different package. Like theirs (Yamaha-Steinberg) shitty interfaces (like UR22)...

While the MI (musical instruments) and Pro-Audio (you know, like live digital mixers and line arrays) are two completely different industries and markets, not so long ago Yamaha was the Line 6 of Pro-Audio world. And they were reduced to ruin. For nothing other than, as kev well put, being slothlike. In this industry, you cannot stay afloat if you're a lazy cunt, no matter how strong your distribution chain may be (Yamaha has one of the strongest if not the strongest distributor chain in the MI world, you'll find a Yammy dealer in places where there ain't any electricity or running water). Line 6 has a mean distributor chain in the US primarily. And like Yamaha, no killer product to sell. Only past glories. And those rarely translate into new product sales.

In their defense, I actually think this product has some good ideas behind it. The lower the price, the better, though, for something entry level like this (especially since it's built on decade+ old tech.) If this is priced too high, it will fail spectacularly.

Part of the issue with Line 6 is that while they were way ahead of the game in the late 90s, they dropped the ball at some point thereafter (exactly when could be debated, but they definitely jumped the shark once they started putting out tube amps, IMO.) One of the main reasons for their decline is that they had trouble retaining talent after a while. This becomes a huge risk with a company of this size - in CEO babble speak, avoiding this pitfall is called "securing innovation" - let's say you lose some of your key DSP and engineering folks, then you either have to search out new talent (good luck, it's rare) or you have to work with whoever is still around, even if they're not the best and brightest.

I'll always have a fond memory of the heyday of Line 6. No, I never worked there, but I do know some folks that were involved in the company at various times, and at one point many years ago I was seriously considering relocating to work for them. The original POD was incredibly inspiring for me, and I wrote a lot of music with it at the time. The dream of accurate amp simulation is one that still lives with me, which is another way in which Line 6 inspired me. Their original vision was ahead of its time and extremely cool.

My .02, put a line 6 through a decent speaker, you might be doing ok and not need all the bells and whistles. Record it direct, you will need better speaker emulation, etc. This'll be ok for people that like to jam over music and who knows until there's some actual recordings what to expect really. I don't expect much since there isn't anything showing off the sound yet, but I think the kids'll like it. Maybe you can put the AxeFX through the speakers and jam over music playing if you don't like the Line 6 sounds. Hopefully, there's a way to use it just as a cabinet. If not...whatever lol

If there's a way to use the Positive Grid Bias app through it... it has great cab simulation (kinda like Recabinet with Torpedo's versatility) and I think this would be a hot item for guitar app sims. Sounds like it's only tied to Line 6 though :/

That's true, Kazrog. It really isn't expensive for what it is. It's hideous, but if I try it I might like the smaller one as something to mess around on. It does have some few ideas that's might surprise me.

well, first off it was about time to replace the spider serie, which still were running with pod 2.0 software (that is 10+ years old, since it came out in 2001), then i imagine that, yes, the company has lost some train compared with fractal and kemper, therefore they decided (and digitech followed) to produce mid priced products that still play decently, but that cannot be compared with the 2 main competitors. This amp is in line with the spider serie: provides something that for them is already an amortized cost, at a decent (i hope) price. The problem with line6 and digitech is that they seem to rely exclusively on apple third party products (iphone control, ipad control...), and apple goes strong just in america. In the rest of the planet 80% of smartphone and tablets are android :(
I agree with who said that the jump of the shark was that 2000$ tube amp made with bogner that played like a pod, obviously nobody got fooled.
About the new pod hd instead i have to say that it found its dimension: the unit is good enough to be used live even by professional bands (fear factory, fleshgod apocalypse), and it cost less than the half of a fractal, so it has its reason to exist and to make line6 still proud.
All in all i have a lot of respect for this brand, digitech declined a bit worse, betting everything to their pedalboard that needed an ipad to work properly (epic fail).

They had the pedal people with the M series multi's. And then Zoom came along with a new DSP (and crucially, algos that people want) and ate that market too. What's left? Wireless? No one professional will trust them over Shure in that realm...

Shane I believe even Jeorge Tripps (Way Huge) was once a Line 6 employee. Why he opened a pedal company with Dunlop instead of developing his ideas with Line 6...

Line 6 has really disappointed me. First they have the HD series which they then come out with an updated version with more DSP power which I felt was lame and then they havent updated the HD series with any model packs or anything. Podfarm is still using xt amp sims. I wish they would develope the POD series more!