Listened to Alive 2 and I'm kindda shocked...

Jacowboy

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well since I couldn't make up my mind about wether buying or not Alive 2 I just decided on d/l it first and sample it...

Well, I'm officially shocked... Did Joey always sound this "deep and low" live???

Jeez, at times it sounded way too much like John... but for the high pitched screams of course...

All in all I was kind of disapointed because I expected Joey to give a much more solid vocal performance (based on the comments in this and other boards) and though he certainly can hit some higher notes than John, they nowhere as high as I'd have hoped and nowhere near as many as I was expecting... It seemed to me as he did "lost it" a bit... which is to be expected of course but hey, I have rarely heard Joey's voice live so it surprised me.

However I must say that the leads from Danny were pretty good and gave the songs a really nice vibe to them. And there were some nice different songs for a change like Medusa and In my world...

Sadly I'm still undecided wether to buy it or not because as nice as it is, I actually prefered MOMD (John works the crowd way better... or at least it sounds so) and both set-lists are incredibly similar... So I guess it'll all go down on the price...

Couple of questions though: How's the DVD packaged? Is it a regular DVD box (long box) or is it a CD case? Are both CD and DVD sold together like MOMD? I hope they are...

That's it.

Yea, his voice is a lot lower than other times I heard him from this tour although it was quite low at the Download England gig too.

I haven't bought it yet myself but I'm planning to tommorrow from what I've heard from it of course if I don't like it I can still fall back on my Bootlegs from this tour.

On another note, Gotta love that french version of Antisocial I just heard it on MSPR off the new GH.

French should be left to the French.

I think his voice is lower due to Anthrax tunes their guitars down a half step these days.Back in the day they had their guitars tuned to the standard E tuning.IMO the half step down tuning sounds better,makes it sound heavier.

yeah, I noticed that as well. I have the Alive 2 dvd. I have to say I am impressed with JOey in that his voice still sounds good when he's singing and he looks like he has taken care of himself-but those first couple of songs didn't impress me as far as the vocals are concerned. ALso, I don't like to criticize someone who seems to be such a genuine and nice guy, but he seems to be missing that extra 'oomph' behind his voice. Overall, though, I was pretty impressed with the concert.

LOL now he sings too low and sings like JOhn......I guess some people will never make things right for anybody....

I think the DVD kicks serious ass can't wait to receive it!

spacebeer said:
LOL now he sings too low and sings like JOhn......I guess some people will never make things right for anybody....

I think the DVD kicks serious ass can't wait to receive it!

How can you think the DVD kicks as when you have not seen it?

Matt Bello said:
Spacey is sooooo objective!!! The guy dont have listen to the alive2 dvd and he said that the dvd kick ass and was better than MOMD... lol :Smug:

HAHHA you aare really 16 aren't you? read first then post some stupid comment...oh well it doesn't matter with you.....I guess you're objectiveness incarnate.

Mouth4War said:
I think his voice is lower due to Anthrax tunes their guitars down a half step these days.Back in the day they had their guitars tuned to the standard E tuning.IMO the half step down tuning sounds better,makes it sound heavier.
Did Scott not say before the reunion tour that he was looking forward to playing the old songs the way they were originally recorded with standard tuning?

I think Joey sounds better now than he did back in teh day.. I like teh lower voice and I am a HUGE fan of tuning down a 1/2 step...... They songs never sounded better in my opinion.. I can't wait to get my f'n DVD in the mail!!!