Listening to music that directly defies Christianity

As far as Christian black metal goes, I like the following bands:

Antestor
Crimson Moonlight
Lengsel
Frost Like Ashes (sometimes)

There are a few others, but I haven't really looked into Christian BM in a long time.

I'm not a Frost Like Ashes fan. Their lyrics are too much punishment and not enough love. I've been looking into Lengsel, though I haven't gotten any of their music yet.

I really think it depends.......But don't take my words as though they come from a priest, i AM only 15. I AM christian but I also DO enjoy listening to things such as Dimmu Borgir. However, in one of their songs from their new album, which I recently bought, there is a phrase recorded in Latin and put in reverse at the beginning of the song Ritualist- the phrase is something I will not write here, as it is in latin and it praises Satan. But, if you know what it means, and it does not bother you, then I think its alright to listen to as long as it does not affect you. Dimmu Borgir does not affect me, however, some bands do. If anyone here has heard of Gorgoroth, I am sure that they get an uneasy feeling when they listen to the songs. The music itself gives off a very unpleasant feel, a very evil feel, and seeing as the band refuses to publish lyrics, you know theres something wrong there. I don't listen to that kind of stuff. Anyway, thats just my opinion.

I really think it depends.......But don't take my words as though they come from a priest, i AM only 15. I AM christian but I also DO enjoy listening to things such as Dimmu Borgir. However, in one of their songs from their new album, which I recently bought, there is a phrase recorded in Latin and put in reverse at the beginning of the song Ritualist- the phrase is something I will not write here, as it is in latin and it praises Satan. But, if you know what it means, and it does not bother you, then I think its alright to listen to as long as it does not affect you. Dimmu Borgir does not affect me, however, some bands do. If anyone here has heard of Gorgoroth, I am sure that they get an uneasy feeling when they listen to the songs. The music itself gives off a very unpleasant feel, a very evil feel, and seeing as the band refuses to publish lyrics, you know theres something wrong there. I don't listen to that kind of stuff. Anyway, thats just my opinion.

Well I know, and I'm an atheist myself, and don't exclude things from my listening experience based on a bands religion but..... As I said it works both ways, be it silly Satanic dribble, or way way too much hellfire&Brimstone. Someone already mentioned too much punishment/hostility already. Then there are other anti-Christian/secular bands who present much more rational thought than "praise Satan". Atheist, Nevermore, Steel Attack, Unleashed(to an extent), Misanthope, Testament. Yet I know plenty who would say they can't listen to that.....and my response would be

"Tis the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain thoughts even if he does not agree with them." ~ Aristotle.

I do enjoy Nevermore. Lol
Though I don't see anything overtly offensive with their lyrics.

Well that's the thing, we all are going to have different levels of tolerance, my experience on the flip as an atheist I can tolerate the overall message of Christianity or any othe theism, but if the lyrics were lets say......"Believe in god or rot in hell" repeated as many times as possible in 7 minutes I'd wouldn't care how good the music was I'm getting rid of it. lol

But let me see if I can "quote mine" here. lol

"I have never seen god, you have never seen god"
"Please God why can't you hear us? Please God why aren't you listening?
We take the hand of fate in vain, and wonder why your will
Seems cruel controlled and illogical Do words fall on deaf ears, are we just too small? Please make us understand"

"And I still believe in nothing Where we can forget the game Nothing is sacred when no one is saved Nothing's forever so count your days Nothing is final and no one is real. Pray for tomorrow and find your empty still".

It's not the most offensive stuff, but I concor with some of it. lol However for some this maybe too much, to you not so much.

PS, I'm not trying to start a roit, just trying to see where the line is for lyrics with the people here, I know personality I'm much more worried about music than lyrics by a long long way. And as a girl who mostly likes (and plays) tech death and black metal, I LOVE Bal-Sagoth, and Mictlantecuhtli is a personal favorite of mine, a bit more trashy and technical than most black metal, but nothing in it related to religion really, just their ancestors, and mine being native American. Also ""Christian Murderer" -- it cannot exist", I loathe the No True Scottsman fallacy. :(

Well that's the thing, we all are going to have different levels of tolerance, my experience on the flip as an atheist I can tolerate the overall message of Christianity or any othe theism, but if the lyrics were lets say......"Believe in god or rot in hell" repeated as many times as possible in 7 minutes I'd wouldn't care how good the music was I'm getting rid of it. lol

But let me see if I can "quote mine" here. lol

"I have never seen god, you have never seen god"
"Please God why can't you hear us? Please God why aren't you listening?
We take the hand of fate in vain, and wonder why your will
Seems cruel controlled and illogical Do words fall on deaf ears, are we just too small? Please make us understand"

"And I still believe in nothing Where we can forget the game Nothing is sacred when no one is saved Nothing's forever so count your days Nothing is final and no one is real. Pray for tomorrow and find your empty still".

It's not the most offensive stuff, but I concor with some of it. lol However for some this maybe too much, to you not so much.

PS, I'm not trying to start a roit, just trying to see where the line is for lyrics with the people here, I know personality I'm much more worried about music than lyrics by a long long way. And as a girl who mostly likes (and plays) tech death and black metal.... :(

Well this is an interesting topic... and lyric, there is something else to take as point, for example if your lyric were from a christian I will be upset, but if this Lyric were from a non Christian, that´s ok because it is what he or she fells, for my experience (37 years and 27 of being christian) I know that God is not deaf and he is real but, you can have (and that´s okay) a different point of view, and if you were a close friend of mine I will not change my fellings for you If I find out that you are atheist.:headbang:, but yes somethimes if the message is being "throwed hard on your face" it goes anoying!!!!

PS: I Like Also Bal-sagoth, but just heard the first 2 CDs

Well if the religious want their message out there, the other is completely fair game.

I don't think the question of this forum is to answer whether non-christian bands have the right to be "out there". That is basic human rights and freedom of choice. I took the subject of this post to be a Christian questioning whether it is a good idea for a Christian person to listen to music with an anti-Christian message.
These things always seem to get twisted around into somehow the Christian is trying to preach "Christianity is the only way" and forcing their views. Although we believe that it is the only way, this question is in no way forcing any viewpoint. It is no more than someone asking a moral question to reconcile a question they have about their faith, with other Christians who may have asked themselves the same question. Nobody said other styles of music are not "fair game", to whomever wants to listen to them. Not sure how that got interpreted that way frankly, you might want to ask yourself that question.

Well this is an interesting topic... and lyric, there is something else to take as point, for example if your lyric were from a christian I will be upset, but if this Lyric were from a non Christian, that´s ok because it is what he or she fells, for my experience (37 years and 27 of being christian) I know that God is not deaf and he is real but, you can have (and that´s okay) a different point of view, and if you were a close friend of mine I will not change my fellings for you If I find out that you are atheist.:headbang:, but yes somethimes if the message is being "throwed hard on your face" it goes anoying!!!!

PS: I Like Also Bal-sagoth, but just heard the first 2 CDs

Well of course in this case the lyrics come from a non-Christian.

drjenk, oh I wasn't saying that every band is too preachy at all, I was just trying to give an example of what I think is acceptable tome. My intent was to determine what's acceptable to the Christians here. Good thing for me to know when things like band recommends come up, and also to know if anyone here is even gonna know a band I might talk about, etc etc. No point in talking too much about a band that's not acceptable. I am not here to offend anyone.

Frankly, if the lyrics are obvious and preachy, I find them cheap, cheesy, and unfulfilling, no matter what the message is.

This. This is why I can stand Theocracy and Tyr. Two totally opposite religions and ideologies but both are excellent power metal bands. They do not preach, merely they state their beliefs and take inspiration from them and write lyrics from that. Theocracy never says "If you don't do this you are going to hell/you are a terrible person." No. They even point out that we ALL have flaws in Mirror of Souls. Wonderful to hear things like that from a Christian group, its a pity groups like Westboro try to associate with the true Christians. Same with Tyr, they preach of the wrongdoings of the Christians on their people, but they also speak of their lore, myths, and history. They never say "All Christians are bad!" or stupid things like that. Merely that they have wronged. They never claim the Heathens were innocent and they despise neo-Nazis and others that use Heathen symbols for evil! Its good to see that.

Preaching tends to be about telling people hard things. Sometimes it is important to tell people hard things. As a matter of fact, we would all be hell bound if it weren't for Jesus' sacrifice. So letting people know that is important--if they don't accept it, they are in for a tough eternity. It's not about who's evil and who's not, because we all are (like Mirror of Souls suggests).

Even for those who are already part of God's family, we need to do the things that please God. The Bible tells us this. It will not affect our salvation, but it is nonetheless important. So if music or any other form of communication warns us against temptations, even if it seems "preachy", it is important for us to hear it.

Although Jonah preached like that, this is portrayed as a bad example. Only by the mercy of God the people listened (actually, they did what Jonah did not tell). Paul did something completely else on the Areopagus. He stepped into the lives of the people there and talked with them in their framework.

Well, so far the 'practical' approach. What counts is that the enthousiasm in what you say/sing comes from within and not from the anticipation of 'converting someone'. Like the enthousiasm in 'Hey guys, there's free beer over there!'. Also, with the free beer, depending on your public, you can be quite sure that the people are interested. And, what you're telling about is not what you are giving.

Like the enthousiasm in 'Hey guys, there's free beer over there!'. Also, with the free beer, depending on your public, you can be quite sure that the people are interested. And, what you're telling about is not what you are giving.

That's perfect. I think you could gain more followers with this message :kickass: than with any other in my country. :lol:

Preaching tends to be about telling people hard things. Sometimes it is important to tell people hard things. As a matter of fact, we would all be hell bound if it weren't for Jesus' sacrifice. So letting people know that is important--if they don't accept it, they are in for a tough eternity. It's not about who's evil and who's not, because we all are (like Mirror of Souls suggests).

Even for those who are already part of God's family, we need to do the things that please God. The Bible tells us this. It will not affect our salvation, but it is nonetheless important. So if music or any other form of communication warns us against temptations, even if it seems "preachy", it is important for us to hear it.

I disagree, those things are quite easy to say. However Christians and non-Christians alike have already heard all these things. Evil or not? Yes most of us are NOT evil imo, but opinion is all there is, because we all have different morals.

@Vacant_Planets: Not trying to be argumentative, but if you believe that the Bible is God's Word, and that it is truth, (as I do) then you believe that all men are evil:

"The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked." (Jeremiah 17:9)

"All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)

"All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” (Romans 3:12)

There are many more verses as well. We are all sinful and condemned. When I am honest with myself, I know that I am very far from attaining God's perfection. And so are you. And Jesus never hesitates to make it clear that we can never get to heaven on our own, because we are ALL wicked, and God is holy and pure. The good news is God's gift of undeserved salvation to us. If we weren't wicked, there would be no need for Jesus' sacrifice. "He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." (Isaiah 53:5)

I sincerely pray that if you do not know the Lord, that you will come to Him--because it is absolutely necessary. It is the difference between life and death. This is Theocracy's message, which somehow you have missed.

I hardly ever listen to any music like that. I used to like Finntroll, but once I found out they hated Christians and openly admitted it in their songs they lost my interest. As Theocracy said, lay the demon to rest.

@Vacant_Planets: Not trying to be argumentative, but if you believe that the Bible is God's Word, and that it is truth, (as I do) then you believe that all men are evil:

"The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked." (Jeremiah 17:9)

"All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)

"All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” (Romans 3:12)

There are many more verses as well. We are all sinful and condemned. When I am honest with myself, I know that I am very far from attaining God's perfection. And so are you. And Jesus never hesitates to make it clear that we can never get to heaven on our own, because we are ALL wicked, and God is holy and pure. The good news is God's gift of undeserved salvation to us. If we weren't wicked, there would be no need for Jesus' sacrifice. "He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." (Isaiah 53:5)

I sincerely pray that if you do not know the Lord, that you will come to Him--because it is absolutely necessary. It is the difference between life and death. This is Theocracy's message, which somehow you have missed.

No worries I don't see it as being argumentative, but as I said I'm not a Christian and therefore I do not see men as evil for the sake of needing guidance from a supreme being, no offense intended.

However I am aware Christians believe this, I got both sides of the fence as a kid with a Pentecostal father and agnostic mother.

I do love Finntroll I must admit, while I do not hate Christians I still enjoy their music a good deal. I doubt unlike the others here that I would be willing to stop doing something for a religion as well, I have never understood what makes one want to give up parts of daily life like that. I'm happy where I am.

I would never do or stop doing anything for the sake of religion. I am only motivated by what I believe is true, just as you are. The only difference is in what I believe. The key is to stop thinking of God as religion and begin to speculate, at least, that He might really be the truth.