Listening to thread???

That's why people are buying vinyl.

Printing album on vinyl doesn´t add more dynamics to it automatically. Nowadays many bands release their albums on vinyl but the vinyl release is very often printed from the CD masters. The end result is that the fan gets his precious vinyl but it has the dynamics of a CD release (+ the snap, crackle, pop of the vinyl).

If a band would really take advantage of the vinyl release, the album should be mastered accordingly, that is with lesser compression along the way. Some bands take the effort to do this.

LAWD JESUS, this so much.

This is why I don't give a shit about this hipster retro insufferable cock vinyl fad, even though I like vinyls. THE ALBUM HAS TO BE MASTERED FOR VINYL IN ORDER TO GET THE TRUE BENEFITS OF VINYL. However, very few bands really master their albums for the specific purpose of listening to it on vinyls. So many people just don't understand this and say stupid shit like, "It's got such a warmer sound" and "It just sounds better on vinyl". No it doesn't, you dumb fucking retards. The new Megadeth or Borknagar or Fleshgod Apocalypse wouldn't sound better on vinyl unless they re-mastered it for vinyl. What these idiots are doing is listening to the snaps and the pops and the inferior sound quality and thinking that's what vinyl is supposed to sound like.

They might as well do what we did when we were 10 years old and record a tape onto a blank tape by shoving two boomboxes together facing each other and pushing play on one and record on the other (because this was before the double cassette deck). They should just record the cd with a microphone and rip it to a WAV file, then use that WAV file to press a vinyl. It's practically the same thing.

Last edited:
They might as well do what we did when we were 10 years old and record a tape onto a blank tape by shoving two boomboxes together facing each other and pushing play on one and record on the other (because this was before the double cassette deck).

Not sure how old you are, but I know that by '86 at least, dual cassette decks were fairly common. I can't even remember what tapes I ended up copying before the CD player boomboxes were released, but there weren't that many. I normally just recorded stuff off the radio or bought the few records (three) and tapes I had at the time.

This came out in '88, and I ended up getting one of the open box versions at Sears for a few hundred dollars less than what it was normally selling for ($499 originally). It was pretty damn awesome back then too for a portable player. It was more of a portable stereo system than a standard "boombox" though, because it had a bunch of inputs, and the speakers were detachable (also could put them in many positions), allowing you to use others if you wanted. The amp in it was strong enough to adequately power some large floor Pioneer speakers.

548942539_tp.jpg

Total derailment I guess, and I do agree with the main point of your post.

Last edited:
Shit dude, it was 30 years ago...I don't remember the exact day, month and year. :lol: It was earlier than when I was ten, though. I just remember that around '86 or '87 we were ramming our boom boxes together and copying each others' Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, and Cinderella tapes. Maybe there were double cassette decks back then, but when you're 7 or 8 years old, your parents weren't about to buy you another boom box when you had to literally beg and plead for the one you already had.

MAN. This brings back memories to when License to Ill came out. Holy shit.

Who else remembers that monster album? I was 7 or 8 when it came out and it blew my fucking mind.

not to mention DW was born on the bayou, it takes a few years for new things to get down there. you're talking about dual deck tape players in '86?!

i bet this dude doesnt have a dual deck player NOW:

Hahaha I've seen that show! Assuh a true blue coonass raht deah I tell you dat much mmhmm. The real coonasses are closer to Lake Charles/Lafayette and on down to Houma rather than Nawlins, and this guy is a real Acadienne coonass.

I'm actually from the part with no coonasses, but for what it's worth the bayou is more interesting. There's a reason bands like Acid Bath, Eyehategod, Crowbar, and Down come from south La. and not the north. I've got family in and around the south but I mainly hail from the area of those ridiculous Duck Dynasty guys.

Interestingly enough, my grandfather was a professor at Louisiana Tech and actually remembers having the boss of Duck Dynasty in his classes. He was actually on a football scholarship and was really good, but he liked hunting and fishing so much that he just dropped it because it was getting in the way of hunting and fishing. He said he would come to class fresh out of the deer stand or duck blind with the same clothes, even to practice with bait and tackle and gear and stuff. He was sort of ridiculous even by Louisiana standards. I guess he got the last laugh, though.

Last year Crowbar came and played a really small outdoor show here around the Treviso/Venice area and I started talking to the drummer, and he was blown away that I was from Louisiana and living in Italy. He brought me over to the merch to introduce me to Kirk and his wife and said, "Hey this dude's from Louisiana but he lives here!", and then I introduced myself.

She goes, "Yep, you can tell because of the accent!"

I then reply, "I haven't lived in Louisiana for what's now literally half my life...I've been away for the past 18 years...and you can still hear my accent? I speak Italian and teach English and had to drop my accent for the most part, but you can still hear it?"

She says, "Oh yeah, definitely."

I was like, "Well, fuck" :lol:

"coonass" ?

I'm learning a new word. I had to check for the etymology though, because you know it's pretty close to a French word...

I enjoyed Swamp People at first but then it got repetitive and then contrived, like when they started showing underwater shots from the gator perspective.

Still amazing to read that Phil Robertson was the starting QB at LT over Terry Bradshaw. Makes you wonder what kind of pro career he could have had.

She goes, "Yep, you can tell because of the accent!"

I then reply, "I haven't lived in Louisiana for what's now literally half my life...I've been away for the past 18 years...and you can still hear my accent? I speak Italian and teach English and had to drop my accent for the most part, but you can still hear it?"

She says, "Oh yeah, definitely."

I was like, "Well, fuck" :lol:

Once a coonass, always a coonass! :D

Hehe I'm not a coonass, though...I don't have a coonass accent, although I do have a slight southern accent. Not redneck, but southern. It used to be more pronounced but I lost most of it while I was in the Air Force. Every time I visit home it comes back, though. It's like herpes. Y'all and ain't and naw and such.

Coonasses are all in the south in de bayou wit de boudin enna ollagaytas enna nutria. All the great food like gumbo and jambalaya and etouffee are all over the state, though.

"coonass" ?

I'm learning a new word. I had to check for the etymology though, because you know it's pretty close to a French word...

"Coonass" is a slang, sometimes derogatory term for Cajuns in Louisiana; most of them live in the deep south of the state and they have a very heavy accent that comes from Creole and Cajun French. Coonass is the ass of a raccoon. The French "connasse" means whore but that's not where it came from, although some assumed it did. The wiki on it is pretty informative. Cajuns are literally backwater people, so it's most probable that it stems from generations of coon hunting and eating, possibly coonskin caps too.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Swamp People at first but then it got repetitive and then contrived, like when they started showing underwater shots from the gator perspective.

Still amazing to read that Phil Robertson was the starting QB at LT over Terry Bradshaw. Makes you wonder what kind of pro career he could have had.

That's the irony of it all. We all grew up loving Terry Bradshaw and Archie Manning, but Phil was possibly better than both of them and he just didn't give a fuck. My grandfather told me that he was literally just some old redneck who didn't care about anything but hunting and fishing, which is a shame because he said he was actually rather bright and talented, both on the field and in the classroom. His entire fortune is based on his development of the perfect duck call, which he patented and designed himself.

MAN. This brings back memories to when License to Ill came out. Holy shit.

Who else remembers that monster album? I was 7 or 8 when it came out and it blew my fucking mind.
I bought that when I had just turned thirteen. I remember listening to the tape pretty much daily for at least six months. The only other albums I did that with (around a year later) were Appetite for Destruction, Hysteria and Kick. Then the following year it was New Jersey and Long Cold Winter.

Even though practically everyone around me at school was wearing Metallica, Megadeth and Iron Maiden shirts, I didn't really start listening to "metal" until my senior year of high school. Which is ironically also the first time someone played some King Diamond for me, and I thought it was the most annoying shit ever at the time. :rofl:

God man. All of this time, your seemingly at times manic writing style reminded me so much of my best friend of twenty-five years. I've actually wondered sometimes if you weren't actually him under an alias, since Nevermore is one of his favorite bands too, and he's also a guitarist/vocalist. Now though, it's like haha, what the fuck? He's been living in China for the last fourteen years, speaks the language and teaches English. I also don't hear any difference in his voice when I speak to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dead Winter
That's the irony of it all. We all grew up loving Terry Bradshaw and Archie Manning, but Phil was possibly better than both of them and he just didn't give a fuck. My grandfather told me that he was literally just some old redneck who didn't care about anything but hunting and fishing, which is a shame because he said he was actually rather bright and talented, both on the field and in the classroom. His entire fortune is based on his development of the perfect duck call, which he patented and designed himself.

There was an episode of DD where Willie came by his parents house to find the original patents Phil was awarded so he could show them at the office. After some contrived comedy in the sheds, he found them, framed, from the USPTO. In the cutaway scene, Phil said something to the effect "I guess I was not the dumb redneck they suspected," not saying who "they" were.

IIRC, Phil has a masters in education and was working as a teacher when he developed the duck call.

There was an episode of DD where Willie came by his parents house to find the original patents Phil was awarded so he could show them at the office. After some contrived comedy in the sheds, he found them, framed, from the USPTO. In the cutaway scene, Phil said something to the effect "I guess I was not the dumb redneck they suspected," not saying who "they" were.

IIRC, Phil has a masters in education and was working as a teacher when he developed the duck call.

Yeah, I remember seeing that as well. It's true, Phil Robertson is not a dumb redneck; he's a redneck, but not a dumb one. Sure, he has some rather unpopular opinions that ruffle feathers, and I don't share those opinions either, but he's not a dummy. People label southerners rednecks or morons often because they have unpopular opinions, but as a southerner, I have to admit that while we have our share of actual stupid rednecks, the area of the US with the biggest population of heads in asses would be the midwest. When I go home, I sometimes have to bite my tongue, but not nearly as much as I've had to with midwesterners.

The thing I've noticed with *most* southerners is that they're curious; they will ask you about what life is like elsewhere and honestly want to know the differences and question. Sadly, I've never had this experience with midwesterners. That may sound like a stereotype, but I can say that every single midwesterner I've either had a personal or working relationship with, in the US or out, has been so Amero-centric and delusional that you simply can't talk to them about issues that run contrary to their political beliefs. This isn't a left or right issue either; these are big, ridiculous and false delusions that they hold onto with the fervor of starving rabid dogs. Things that we sort of joke about like 'MURICA, they take very seriously. That whole "greatest nation on earth no matter what and I don't care if you have proof that it's not blah blah blah" is a very real thing. When you talk to them, it's not just the ignorance, but there's always an underlying insult with them. They don't even have to step foot out of the US to believe that everything else but fucking Iowa or Nebraska is shit. At first I thought it was funny, but then I just realized they are the reason the right has gone so far off the deep end and now it's kinda scary. It's almost like high school, but imagine that it lasts all your life.

That doesn't mean they're bad people; on the contrary, they've always been rather friendly...although humorless as Germans. Southerners have a pretty witty sense of humor, even though it can be a bit base sometimes, but cracking a joke with midwesterners usually goes one or two ways: they're either insulted or they take you literally and it just goes right over their head. Then you just feel like a dick for no reason.

Last edited: