Listening to thread???

So far, all of the old thrash bands have been releasing pretty damn good albums this year.

Now all that's left is for Metallica to toss in a combo breaker.

Sort of cool I guess, in a Metallica recycling the black album, Volbeat and Iron Maiden kind of way? Too bad the country barking still sucks anything that might be good about it out.

At least the distortion and production is good.

Talking Backwards, you really weren't joking about the new Anciients album. It's fantastic. It's all the best parts of Opeth around the Blackwater Park years with Mastodon's Crack the Skye, only thrashier.

Yep. Entire album is great, but I can't get over how good "Ibex Eye" and "Following the Voice" are. It does remind me of Opeth quite a bit, but it made me think more of My Arms, Your Hearse and Still Life, but close enough right? Reviews were claiming that they eschewed more of their Mastodon leanings this time around, but I still hear them (but I don't mind, because I love Crack the Skye).

My only complaint with the album is the production. It's...really bad, and sounds super compressed. It's mostly okay until any time cymbals are hit, then it just gets really silibant.

This one is actually rather good.

I wish I could remember the song and band that Metallica directly lifted the riff at 0:40 from. I keep wanting to say Volbeat or some melodeath band, but I'm drawing blanks right now.

Truly expected to dislike this based on the description. Reminds me of a much more extreme version of Scar Symmetry. Or hell, technical death Devin Townsend even.

Last edited:
Nice change of pace from Japan: Semblant -- Brazilian band similar to Epica. The female singer performed DNB with Warrel in 2015. Fucking hell she's stunning and has the voice to back it up.