Literature

Demona

bookworm
Sep 26, 2002
Alright! There has been a suggestion to start a thread about literature so here it is. For a start You can share you're reading preferences in general, and then maybe specify what are you reading now or wish to read in the near future. So here it goes:

I do enjoy reading in general, that is i don't have specific tastes...all depends on a particular book. At this time I'm half through Black Boy by Richard Wright, which I enjoy a lot. Next to read: Native Son by the same author.

Do you enjoy the Romantic time period in literature? Byron, Keats, Poe (kinds), Wordsworth etc?
If you what would you recomend to read? All I have read is Wordsworth and I enjoyed his poems.

well, I cannot say that I do like this or that specific
period. As to the Romanticism--those authors that you have listed--I do enjoy reading. Byron's poem (in my signature) is undoubtedly one of my favorites! I would also recomend his The Corsair.
Keats--haven't read that much of him, but some of his poems are very nice for example this one: Ode to Psyche
Poe is a must, in my opinion. First of all I would surely recommend his poems such as The Bells (one of the most famous for its alliteration). if you read it--read it aloud!
Another poem that is very sombre and majestic is The Raven, I'm sure everyone knows it, but just in case. The Raven
Some others to check out: Annabel Lee, To Helen (Oh, Helen, thy beauty is to me...etc.)
His short stories are fantastic. Most of them. I remember that i did not like The Fall of the House of Usher though. Actually, it is not that i did not like it...it was just weird. Some of his pieces are completely sick...
One of my personal favorites: The Murders In The Rue Morgue.

You can also try Robert Frost. His poems are interesting in a way that on the surface they are extremely simple, but actually they are full of imagery and thought.

Do you want to explore the Romanticism only or poetry (and literature, I suppose) in general?

More so in general. When I studied the period I found myself interested in there thoughts of nature and of human life in general. Do you know of transcendentlism (sp)? A good example would be Walden by Therou (sp). Now anyway back to literature. I have read the things you mentioned by Poe, I have his collected works and I really enjoy him. Have you read 'the rhyme of the ancient mariner' ? I am also aquanted with robert frost. Have you heard him on a radio program before? When he reads his poems it will send chills up and down your spine. Also do you know much about the modernist period? I studied that only briefly but found some of it to my liking.
Have you read H.P. Lovecraft? Amazing author, I think he beats Poe in his short stores.
Currently I am reading the Wheel of time by Rober Jordan, a fantasy series that is good. Anyone read/heard of it?
Also has anyone here read anything by Rober Hienlen (SP)? Stranger in A Strange land? etc? Also I enjoy reading any myths from any culture I can find. Hmm has anyone read catch 22? should i read it? Hmm sorry this may of been a bit of rant with bad spelling but o well.

Im a huge fan of ALexandre Dumas, I think he is fucking brilliant when it comes to melodrama. All of his famous books weave love, revenge, passion, hatred and so many other things into the stories of his characters, it's just amazing. One of my favorite books is by far the COunt Of Monte Cristo, it's just so well played out, with such a beautiful and sad ending. Also, the Three Musketeers trilogy is wonderful. ANother great and overlooked book by him is The Black Tulip, it's also a really great story about an unfortunate young man meeting bad fate because of his neighbors jealousy.

I also do enjoy reading specific sci-fi authors, especially Orson Scott Card, and Alfred Bester. Bester wrote the imaginiative The Stars My Destination, which is almost like a sci-fi version of the count of monte cristo, but with much more going on, it's brilliant. And Card's Ender series and other novels like Enchantment (reading now) are great. Card manages to always bring in ideas about war, politics, and history into his novels, and it really shows that he is a smart guy who really knows what he' doing.

I do enjoy Poe, one of my favorites is The Black Cat. He was one demented fuck back then, some of his shit really is scary.

Also, Ive been meaning to read lots of classic literature which I know I will enjoy like Dracula, The Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne), Inferno, etc. Too bad I have a bunch of shitty summer reading for school all about slavery and Maya Angelou etc, that stuff is all bullshit, Ive read 20 novels atleast on slavery, I think that's fucking enough. That's white people's punishment for enslaving black people, we are forced to read their fucking books for the rest of our lives. Ill add more to this when I have time, but great thread!!

Orson scot card is amazing... Enders game blew me away. Also READ DRACULA!! If you like any Dracula movie then READ THE BOOK. It is so much better. Haha... Anyone read Jurasic Park? or other Crichton books?

Joyous occasion i found my lost collection of occult and orror books so ive started reading all of em again. (6 books at once) They Are:
THe Zohar THe Book of Splendor
Bram Stokers Dracula
Mary SHelley's Frankenstein (a personal favorite)
Forbidden Rites "A Guide to a Necromancer of the 17th century"
Ceremonial Magick
Master and the Margarita (I recommend EVERYONE to read this most extravegant novel)

Next on List:
A Brief History of Europe
The Viking Society

Thats all.

The Dune series is amazing... I have only read one of the prequals and up to Children of Dune. I just read Frankenstine in school and liked it. Besides dracula I dont reconize any of the other books on the list :\ :/ . O well.

Dune kicks ass, though in honest truth the first book is the best, everything else was somewhat boring. But the first book was amazingly awesome.

I'm more into russian classical literature. A bit of american authors too tho. But I am not sure how to spell their names :( So I better skip this part:) :lee:

I like some russian literature like tolstoy (what i have read from him I really liked) and the guy who wrote crime and punishment. Besides them I havnt read much russian literature.

DeathBlade said:
More so in general. When I studied the period I found myself interested in there thoughts of nature and of human life in general. Do you know of transcendentlism (sp)? A good example would be Walden by Therou (sp).

Sure. That is, I am acquainted with the theory, which is quite unique: it is an exclusively American phenomenon. I have not read Walden (by Thoreau) or any other book/author, though.

Now anyway back to literature. I have read the things you mentioned by Poe, I have his collected works and I really enjoy him. Have you read 'the rhyme of the ancient mariner' ?
mmm...no, I dont think I did. A recommendation?

I am also aquanted with robert frost. Have you heard him on a radio program before? When he reads his poems it will send chills up and down your spine.
No, I haven't. I'm afraid I did not have this possibility.

Also do you know much about the modernist period? I studied that only briefly but found some of it to my liking.

I'm sure I know something; cannot say how much though, heh :) Modern litrature can sometimes be very bizzare.

Have you read H.P. Lovecraft? Amazing author, I think he beats Poe in his short stores.
definitely on the list, but haven't read anything just yet. My speciality demands excessive reading, therefore, i physically cannot cover what I want to read. Hopefully, it'll be easier later.

Currently I am reading the Wheel of time by Rober Jordan, a fantasy series that is good. Anyone read/heard of it?
Also has anyone here read anything by Rober Hienlen (SP)? Stranger in A Strange land? etc? Also I enjoy reading any myths from any culture I can find. Hmm has anyone read catch 22? should i read it? Hmm sorry this may of been a bit of rant with bad spelling but o well.

Sorry, these titles do not ring a bell. I am not a fantasy fan...

Oh, culture and myths rule!!!. I can recommend a couple of worthy pieces...but i don't think that they have been translated...yet...unfortunately.

I like some russian literature like tolstoy (what i have read from him I really liked) and the guy who wrote crime and punishment.

You mean Dostoyevsky!

Besides them I havnt read much russian literature.

Then there is a whole world for you to discover! Russian Literature is extremely rich and powerful!

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Im a huge fan of ALexandre Dumas, I think he is fucking brilliant when it comes to melodrama. All of his famous books weave love, revenge, passion, hatred and so many other things into the stories of his characters, it's just amazing. One of my favorite books is by far the COunt Of Monte Cristo, it's just so well played out, with such a beautiful and sad ending. Also, the Three Musketeers trilogy is wonderful. ANother great and overlooked book by him is The Black Tulip, it's also a really great story about an unfortunate young man meeting bad fate because of his neighbors jealousy.

Dumas--is a definite must. Monte Cristo is superb! I happen to read it just a couple of month ago, actually re-read it and was stunned as always. To anyone who has not yet read it--DO IT NOW! :)

Also, Ive been meaning to read lots of classic literature which I know I will enjoy like Dracula, The Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne), Inferno, etc.
Are you sure you will enjoy The Scarlet Letter? I barely had enough patience to finish the book....so tedious...

Too bad I have a bunch of shitty summer reading for school all about slavery and Maya Angelou etc, that stuff is all bullshit, Ive read 20 novels atleast on slavery, I think that's fucking enough. That's white people's punishment for enslaving black people, we are forced to read their fucking books for the rest of our lives. Ill add more to this when I have time, but great thread!!

LOL!!! Which books in particular did you read on this topic?

BTW, the book by Louise Erdrich Love Medicine (about native Americans) is quite an interesting read.

Well! Really well educated people we have in here:) Pity I don't remember the authors' names:)

Clive Barker....Clive Barker....Nope, never heard of him...in what genre is he writing?

I just finished reading "The Meaning of it All" by Richard P Feynman. Now I'm on "Sex and the evolution of Death" by William R Clark, "Lucifer Rising" by Gavin Baddeley and a Geochemistry textbook by Konrad Hrauskopf which I've been wading through forever. Three books at the same time now seems like a pretty bad plan ;)

Next on my "to read" list I have "Agitator, The Cinema of Miike Takeshi" by Tom Mes and Chuck Palahniuk's "Diary". Gah, I don't have as much time to read as I'd like to any more :(

And I am into articles and manuals... I hate this...

I read lots of Russian literature: Vini Pooh, and Carlson, and I am a big fan of Chiburashka y Krakodil Gena

As far as I know the Pooh was written my Mr. Miln (England) and Karlsson is a swedish hero originally created by Mrs. A. Lindgren :) Or I am wrong?