books?

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
anyone here read non music related stuff?

always been a big reader and for some reason it dawned on me that not enough people read or discuss "smart stuff" on OT parts of a lot of cool forums.

i guess there is no specific topic here just general ranting. i guess i'll start off by saying i recently started reading "bleak house" by charles dickens. so far so good. i finished reading "a life in music" by daniel barenboim and before that "here there and everywhere" by geoff emmerick about his career with the beatles. maybe some of these will spark some discussion.

hadn't read any classic lit for a while so i figured i'd jump back on with the dickens.

thoughts?

Just finished reading some of Aldous Huxley's work- "Brave New World" and "The Doors of Perception." Very interesting insights from his percpective.

Right now I am reading Richard Dawkins "The Blind Watchmaker" (I see that you have Jesus in your avatar :heh:). He sure knows how to get his points across with his analogies (Dawkins that is :lol:).

When I was in my teens, I used to love national epics and stuff. I think I still got copies of Kalevala and Edda somewhere. Nowadays I'm just a cynical bastard and can't be bothered with reading that much, but it seems I can't get rid of the habit of reading Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy through once in a year :D

i read 3 or 4 books of the Discworld saga....seriously the most epic and funny books ever
lord of the rings
the hobbit
all harry potter books
a lot of books about Egyptian stuff when i was younger
and a lot of other novels...i cant remember all the names now

when i was younger i use to read A LOT seriously A LOT
but in the last 3 years i didnt read too much(except for the last harry potter book)

Yeah, I read a lot of books :) My favourites are stuff like Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, Andy McNab's Nick Stone series, Tom Clancy's Ryanverse stuff and of course George Orwell's 1984 and Bram Stoker's Dracula. Dean Koontz's The Moonlight Bay trilogy is fun too and Robert Ludlum also has a nice style.

I read a LOT....mostly "light" stuff though...
Some of my favorite authors are Philip K. Dick, Dennis Lehane, Trevanian, Michael Connelly, Karin Slaughter, Christopher Priest, Harlan Coben etc.

It's been a while since I read a really good book...I'm currently reading "The vampire Lestat" by Anne Rice...nice, but fails to keep me interested most of the time.

I am always reading something. Always.
I've read and re-read everything by Carl Sagan. He's probably my most recommended author.
The last great book I read was "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, which deals with some pretty mind boggling theoretical physics.

Some other stand outs I've read recently:

"Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman
"The End of Faith" by Sam Harris
"Darwin's Dangerous Idea" by Daniel Dennett

I also read through the entire Hitchiker series every few years!

"The End of Faith" by Sam Harris
"Darwin's Dangerous Idea" by Daniel Dennett

I also read through the entire Hitchiker series every few years!

+1 and a BIG plus on Hitchhiker :)

I suggest you read this one next (if you haven't already), I'm sure you'll like it:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Darwins-God-Scientists-Evolution/dp/0061233501/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230128301&sr=8-2[/ame]

Checking Brian Greene right now :)

enders game by orson scott card. he has a lot of great work.

this is your brain on music by daniel levitin. interested in the neuron firing patterns when you hear a rhythm and melody and quadtracked guitars instead of a single track? neurophysiology of music.

house of leaves by danielewski.

mysticism and the new physics by michael talbot. LSD in book form.

Hi Aramism,

I have to recommend Stephen King´s "The Dark Tower" ! It´s not really horror..more an phantasy epic with a eastwood western touch. Maybe someone has read it already. It´s the best book, I´ve ever read!

And the word EPIC is an understatement in this case.

Just finished reading some of Aldous Huxley's work- "Brave New World" and "The Doors of Perception." Very interesting insights from his percpective.

Right now I am reading Richard Dawkins "The Blind Watchmaker" (I see that you have Jesus in your avatar :heh:). He sure knows how to get his points across with his analogies (Dawkins that is :lol:).

actually it's not jesus. it's john petrucci.

I'm a huge Bret Easton Ellis fanboy, currently finishing "Lunar Park"...

After that, I'll probably tackle "Next" by Michael Crichton for semi-sentimental reasons.
icon9.gif

I have to recommend Stephen King´s "The Dark Tower" ! It´s not really horror..more an phantasy epic with a eastwood western touch. Maybe someone has read it already. It´s the best book, I´ve ever read!

And the word EPIC is an understatement in this case.

Yep, I listed it and have read it. The first five books are quite good, but the last two he kind of lost it. Seemed a little forced and even crazy at times. I did like the real ending of the book (the one continued after King's final word) better than the canon ending.