Live shows

Personally him? I'll be honest I'm not his biggest fan, and I'm not sure I like his attitude both on stage/offstage.
But the band did good, of course.

I'm more into Taake. They are really great live.

Going to see Kreator, Obituary, Midnight, and Horrendous for the Decibel Magazine 2017 tour, gonna see Overkill and Nile, gonna see U.D.O., and gonna see Testament, Sepultura, and Prong. It's headbanging time.

Man, Overkill....... is like the one of the greatest bands to see live. Seriously, I'd go to their shows everyday.
Absolutely. Mostly thanks to Bobby Blitz being one of the greatest frontmen in heavy metal. Right up there with Ozzy, Dio, Bruce, Dee Snider, etc. Doesn't hurt that their music is some of the finest in thrash either.

Absolutely. Mostly thanks to Bobby Blitz being one of the greatest frontmen in heavy metal. Right up there with Ozzy, Dio, Bruce, Dee Snider, etc. Doesn't hurt that their music is some of the finest in thrash either.

Yeah exactly, it's all about him. He just owns you while on stage, I don't know many performers with such strong charisma.
I remember at one of Overkill's shows I was so excited jumping all over the place, I started feeling crumbles of my teeth in my mouth.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Yeah exactly, it's all about him. He just owns you while on stage, I don't know many performers with such strong charisma.
I remember at one of Overkill's shows I was so excited jumping all over the place, I started feeling crumbles of my teeth in my mouth.
He reminds me a lot of Iggy Pop and Ted Nugent in their prime that way. He's just nuts. He's physically all over the place, and just puts this spell on you with how singularly energetic and powerfully self-carrying he is.

Reactions: ~Neurotica
First night of Power of the Riff was solid. Incantation were the highlight. I just love their ebb and flow between bestial, slow doom passages and pummeling, fast stretches of brutal death metal. It's like watching a predator hunting prey. However, Wolves in the Throne Room were pretty epic as well. Loved the haunting ambience. Tons of fog and only the glow of neon blue lights from their guitars. I found them to reflect their studio stuff. Some passages drag, but their best stuff (from Celestial Linage and Two Hunters) was engrossing. The other acts I saw, Pelican and some punk band, were adequate. First time seeing both bands.

Less excited for night two. Neurosis is always great to see live, but I've seen them twice before. Other than that, it's a fairly weak lineup.

It was almost a two hour drive through LA traffic to see Mayhem last night, but it was well worth it. First of all, I've always felt pretty tepid about Inquisition, but damn were they good live. The songs were super tight, clean, and well-delivered. The drummer in particular was on point. I definitely need to go back and relisten to some of their albums.

Mayhem was phenomenal, playing DMDS from start to finish. I've certainly been critical of Atilla's performance in particular, but he is a phenomenal stage performer. It gave me a new appreciation for DMDS as well, as live with the setting and atmosphere I have a clearer sense of what the intent behind the work is. Neck and neck with Blind Guardian for best show I've seen in the last year. Highly recommended that you see them on this tour if you can.

Looking forward to Marduk and Incantation next week.

Saw 'em on this tour, Black Anvil was forgettable, not bad, but not especially memorial, but Mayhem and Inquisition blew the frigging doors off the joint. Inquisition has always been a marvel for me in how just two guys with three instruments (including Jason's voice), can crank out such a full, vicious sound. Jason is a master black metal guitarist, guy knows all the chord changes to be had, excellent and unique vocals from him as well, and holy Christ on a candlestick is Incubus an utterly murderous drummer, I could almost feel his snares hanging on for dear life, and he maintained his technical precision all the while. Then Mayhem takes the stage, Lord in Heaven, does Attila ever have a stage presence, his sheer height, coupled with the platform boots, black hooded robes, Killer Croc looking corpsepaint, and top tier vocals? Guy dominated. Necrobutcher and Hellhammer played marvelously, though I must admit I snickered at the contrast between Necro and the rest of the band at times, this spindly little guy with the micro pony tail, and he's playing alongside these fearsome looking bastards? Teloch and Ghul, they aren't Euronymous, no one ever will be, but they handled the guitar work phenomenally. Plus, the novelty of hearing what is arguably one of the top five black metal records ever, front to back, ruled. Only irksome bit was when some prick tried to start a fistfight with the poor guy behind me, thankfully the bouncers were on him and kicked him out in what felt like ten seconds flat.

Saw Marduk and Incantation last night. This was my second time seeing Incantation in a few months and I enjoyed them even more the second time. I just love their interplay between slow, doomy passages and annihilating fast passages. Seeing them live has only affirmed my opinion that they are one of, if not the best death metal band out there. This was my first time seeing Marduk and my feelings about them live pretty much correspond to my feelings about their records. The more mid-paced stuff is good but not great, while their blistering, fast paced stuff absolutely slays. Sore neck morning.

Upcoming: Immolation, Cryptopsy, Morbid Angel and Suffocation.

Last edited:
He reminds me a lot of Iggy Pop and Ted Nugent in their prime that way. He's just nuts. He's physically all over the place, and just puts this spell on you with how singularly energetic and powerfully self-carrying he is.
I saw their Sydney 2010 performance on Youtube and he gave one of the best introductions to a song in the history of live performances.

"I'm not a violent man...but this fucking felon and this prick right here...they're ready to jump right in there and beat your motherfucking asses into a COMA!"

I remember when he came back to us one time, he yelled "DID YA MISS US?!", stares into the crowd a little, chuckles, "You smiling pricks...". Wonderfully personable, down-to-earth, guy too. The real deal full package.

Saw Marduk and Incantation last night. This was my second time seeing Incantation in a few months and I enjoyed them even more the second time. I just love their interplay between slow, doomy passages and annihilating fast passages. Seeing them live has only affirmed my opinion that they are one of, if not the best death metal band out there. This was my first time seeing Marduk and my feelings about them live pretty much correspond to my feelings about their records. The more mid-paced stuff is good but not great, while their blistering, fast paced stuff absolutely slays. Sore neck morning.

Upcoming: Immolation, Cryptopsy, Morbid Angel and Suffocation.

Where was the notification about this on the Southern California thread you son of a bish?