liveDaily Interview: Joey Belladonna of Anthrax

jackfromczech

Feb 13, 2002
liveDaily Interview: Joey Belladonna of Anthrax

This year, a newly reunited Anthrax has released the "Alive 2" performance CD/DVD--complete with long-absent singer Joey Belladonna and guitarist Dan Spitz--as well as "Anthrology: No Hit Wonders (1985-1991), a two-CD set that showcases the best of Anthrax from the band's Island Record years

But singer Belladonna, after a decade away, isn't easily convinced that many fans know he returned to the band in April.
"I'm sure that a lot of people aren't aware that we're back together, doing what we're doing." Belladonna said. "It's not that widely publicized, I don't think."

Nonetheless, Anthrax--which also includes bassist Frank Bello, drummer Charlie Benante, and rhythm guitarist/vocalist Scott Ian--is working to get the word out. The group is touring with Judas Priest through the end of October, with a few one-off headlining gigs thrown in.

liveDaily spoke with Belladonna by phone, during the band's recent tour stop in Milwaukee.

liveDaily: Were you big fans of Judas Priest before you were asked to do this tour?

Joey Belladonna: Oh yeah, absolutely. It's an appropriate metal event. It's totally cool. I can't imagine anything else that's more appropriate in that range of bands and that type of caliber. Even though, nowadays, there's a lot of newer bands out there that you might jump on a tour with--it might even be more successful--but when they asked us to do it, it was great.

You must have been flattered to be asked to do the Judas Priest tour.

Absolutely. It's like the old days of [Iron] Maiden and Ozzy.

How difficult was it to chose songs for "Anthrology"?

You add and subtract as you go on, and try to figure out the ones you really think are the "strong" ones, the most dominant. Maybe a few that haven't even had the chance to be heard before. It would be nice to throw it all out, but we can't get around to that.

What did you have in mind when you said the "most dominant"? The hits? Or the most important tracks to you?

You get your "Indians," "Caught in the Mosh"--stuff that's pretty strong that has the most public liking. Of course, if you want to get really fancy and try to put a lot of underground tunes on there, it's tough to say you've done the right thing.

Are you questioning what you did?

No, absolutely not. When you asked if it was tough ... We've picked the ones that we've been leaning on forever. The ones that are strong. They're not real underground. Not that they're all popular, Top 10 hits, but you got a lot of songs that are strong in our vocab. We kind of lean on those. We're playing them live and they work, and they're the ones that people like.

What's it like to be back in the band?

It's great. It's a nice thing. What we had before was great, anyhow, [and] it's only better right now for us. It's nice to pick up where we left off. I didn't really want to go anywhere. I just didn't want to make a change for a different style of vocals, so unfortunately I'm coming in after having them done something else again. But I don't let that really get in my way. I just focus on what I have to do and be here--the way it used to be--and make it better, you know? Hopefully we can stick around a little longer doing it. Hopefully it's something they want to continue doing; something we all want to continue doing.

How are things different this time around?

Well, I don't really party as much as I used to. That kind of thing is not there. I'm a lot more focused on just being here going, "What do I need to do versus getting caught up in the moment?" at least for myself. I think we're better players. I think everyone's wiser. Business oriented--we really have a mission more so than we ever did.

What do you think brought on that focus?

I think just in time you learn every step of the way, like, "Why do we leave the generator on all night when we can save gas?" On our day off, we were talking about something stupid today, we said, "Don't worry about that. We don't need that milk. Let's just throw it out and make sure if there's anything in the freezer you don't want, if it's not going to stay good throw it out." Anything, whatever you can think of to do better and it makes sense, and makes it a lot more feasible and acceptable.

Have you started writing new material?

Haven't gone there, no. As time goes on, I think people might get closer to that option. We're really just trying to do it step by step. We're trying to keep the music that we're doing live, and everything intact. See how everybody gels. You have to kind of go day by day. You really have to get in the room [to write]. That's a possibility, but we haven't really gone there.

What do you do on your days off?

Last night we saw System of a Down. They were happy to see us. We were happy to see them. It's good to kick back and watch a show. I rest a lot. Tomorrow, I'll watch Monday Night Football and lay in bed. Get your stamina back. These days last long on this tour.

http://www.livedaily.com/interviews/liveDaily_Interview_Joey_Belladonna_of_Anthrax-8942.html

Well, I thought The Cheif has already started writing... At least Mr. Wu told it... :guh:

Shit! I've just noticed that this interview was already advertised on the official Anthrax web site on 14th October... Sorry.