London 2003 Bootleg up for grabs...

Graveless Soul

Tranquility Personified
Jun 8, 2001
UK
www.btinternet.com
Hello all, as the title says I have a complete audience recording of the recent London show that I am intending to ‘tree’ out to my fellow opethians!

The sound is excellent (for an audience recording), and it features the following songs:
Disc One: The Leper Affinity, Advent, Deliverance, Godhead’s Lament
Disc Two: The Drapery Falls, Credence, Serenity Painted Death, A Fair Judgement, Harvest, Demon Of The Fall

I’m going to keep this offer open for just over a week (let’s say 31 March is the ‘closing date’), and all I need from the people interested is the following information:

Your Name
Country/State/County where you live
Email address
Are you willing to burn discs for other people?

Send this info to this email address: opethboots@yahoo.co.uk

As I say, I’m going to make this available via a tree. Those of you who already trade will know what this is, for the sake those of you who don’t, just supply your information for now and we’ll work out the rest once everything is sorted. To put it simply it’s a sort of worldwide distribution via fans!

I will take priority to anybody wishing to trade for this as I won’t be getting anything back in return from doing this. Contact me via my website below.

Cheers

Russ

Reactions: Jo
I've just mailed you about this and i'm very interested. Look forward to hearing from you. (by the way i don't know what you mean by a 'tree' as i haven't traded before, however, i have an Arch Enemy bootleg from gothenburg this year that i can trade you if you want.)

To all that have responded so far (17 of you so far), thanks. Your names are on record and you'll be hearing from me at some point after March 31.

As for the people asking bout MP3s - I won't be converting them I'm afraid. The whole idea of this is to try and stop all these MP3 sourced shows being distributed in favour of the proper WAV files via a CDR. It will obviously be better quality and it will also give those people that have nothing to trade with a bit of a starting point. Of course, I can't stop people ripping it to MP3 once they receive it, but I won't be doing it from this end. Why not sign up though? The most it will cost you is a couple of CDRs and a tiny bit of postage!

Anyway, the tree, for people that have been asking. I've never actually done one before, but I've been a part of many on the Ozric Tentacles forum.

Basically, I'm the 'root' and will be sending out the show to various 'branches' - these will be most, but not all, of the people who are willing to burn for others. They will also be organised depending on whereabouts they live. I'll then assign 'leaves' to these branches and they will get they're shows from them (the 'branches') - these will be all the people who are unable to burn for others, plus any of the willing burners I have left over. Again, this will be organised depending on whereabouts they live.

Then, basically, all the 'leaves' will have to get in touch with their 'branches' and either trade with them for the show or send them a couple of blank CDRs to cover the burn (unless the 'branches' are willing to burn for nothing, but I'll leave that up to them).

If there are loads of people interested, then some 'branches' may have to get their shows from other 'branches' via the way the 'leaves' are doing so. This would be slightly more complicated for me to work out, but everyone will still get a show eventually. Of course, it will depend on the 'branches' for the 'leaves' to get their shows, but I'm trusting everyone who signs up for this to be honest and generous, so please don't complain to me if you don't get your show, complain to your 'branch'!!

Here's a link to a diagram which should hopefully explain it more clearly:

http://www.btinternet.com/~r.castley/opeth_tree.jpg

There you go, simple!?? I'll be in touch with a structure when the sign up date is over.

Russ

Thanks a lot Russel for offering this to us. I applaud you for trading a non-mp3 bootleg around. A lot of us need this to get started, and this will probably be the key to unlock that door, since Opeth boots are highly in demand.

Maybe, this tree could grow into other bootlegs in the future eh? (non MP3 boots at that)

Thanks man, cheers

Colin Berry

metalathiest said:
Thanks a lot Russel for offering this to us. I applaud you for trading a non-mp3 bootleg around. A lot of us need this to get started, and this will probably be the key to unlock that door, since Opeth boots are highly in demand.

Maybe, this tree could grow into other bootlegs in the future eh? (non MP3 boots at that)

Thanks man, cheers

Colin Berry

Thanks Colin,

let's hope this will be the start of many to come :) In fact, in the future, if people would like to do a similar sort of thing, I don't mind organising it for them if they don't want the hassle. Anything to spread this out as much as possible...

It looks as though it's going to be quite popular though, 2 days in and nearly 30 people signed up! Also, possible branches needn't worry too much, I'm going to try and keep the distribution within your own country and as close to you as possible. the only thing I ask aswell is that the eventual leaves be patient while waiting to receive their show!!

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys this when they get it :D

Russ

You know this seems to be a very nice concept, and I can see how it could work perfectly fine. But I can't help but wonder why you'd hold back from just throwing it on DC and seeing it spread like wild fire to all those who want it.

I mean, call me paranoid, but I really don't like giving out my address to even people I meet in person, much less someone I've never met online. You know, as long as convert it like at 192kbps, the mp3 would be very high quality. Mp3z get bashed pretty bad on quality but really, if you think their not good, you're probably listening to those done at 92 or 128kbps. And even if you didn't want to do that, you could still share the raw wav files on DC too just the same (though they'd be bulkier in MB), but those of use with broadband connections wouldn't really care.

I know you mean this with good intentions, but I feel the manual tree system is a bit obsolete when compared to today's electronic system. Everybody could have the boot by the end of tonight if you threw it on DC.

Again this is your option since you have it, so I'll just wait till it's avail on DC; but it's just that, I have to wait :(...

ISO it or something, or zip the WAV source and then share it.

Also.. people give MP3s a hard time, but most bootlegs sound like crap anyway, so I don't see the big deal. If you can stand the hideous distortion from some guy's cheap recorder, you can take a few compression artifacts. That's just my take on it.

Some people like me, don't like bootlegs in mp3 form.
Yes 192kpbs mp3's are fine for official releases, but for an audience boot they are certainly lacking.

If you want to make an effort to get the boot, you will get the reward of the recording.

As for cheap guys recorder, my MD was $300 and mic was $100 and my recording have never had any hideos distortion.
I record every show I go to, I've even sent copies to the bands I've taped, even they have commented on the quality of the recording.

Amazing what you can do these days, with a cheap recorder, cracked software and someone who knows what they are doing :)

I've heard some that were quite good, yeah. My point mainly applied to me. I'm ok as long as I can make the notes out. I still think an ISO of the CD would be a perfectly good solution for everyone though. But I'm sure bootleggers have a fondness for physical trading and would like to do it that way.

Dude, it's a BOOTLEG. I don't care HOW good you think you recorded it, it's not going to sound any better in .wav format vs. MP3. You will *NOT* be able to tell a difference in an MP3 at 192Khz and a .wav file. ESPECIALLY if it's an audience-level recording. A .wav file is nothing but 1's and 0's anyway, and so is an MP3 (just with data redundancies removed).

If it were a professional quality symphony recording done with expensive condenser mics and high-end tube mic preamps straight to tape, I could understand the snob appeal of having an original press of the waveform in analog, but this is absurd.

Post the damn things on a site already and save us ALL some postage.