long threads

rahvin

keeper of the flame
Oct 10, 2001
safe but not far from the city
i've been thinking about this for a while, and when hyena suggested it to me today i decided it had to be done.

the very long threads on this board take up lots of space and are becoming slower and slower to load. moreover, n00bs have been known to complain about how intimidated they feel by 500 pages of old timers expressing how they feel or what's on their stereo.

starting from next week, i'm going to close a number of overlong threads. the first ones to go will be:

- now playing

- now feeling

- questions & answers

later i'll do the same for the picture and the person above me threads. in time, i plan to close all threads once they reach around 3000 posts (let's say 2000 for pic-heavy threads). if everything works out fine and the majority is satisfied, this procedure will be added to the forum rules -- to be applied with a grain of salt: i won't stop a conversation mid-page just because we've reached the fatal number.

i know some of you might be sentimentally attached to the threads i've mentioned, but i think it's in everyone's best interest not to add to this site's sometimes slow loading times and not to instantly chase away the occasional readers. i'll keep links to the old popular threads in the rules so people can easily find and search the closed threads as well.

one last thing: as i don't want to be the one starting all the threads to replace the old ones (you did understand i meant there's going to be replacements, right? it's not as if we want to stop the music/feelings/questions...), i'm going to leave you the whole of next week to start the new now playing, now feeling, and q&a. please be kind: just one each, and from the title it has to be immediately understandable what the content is going to be like. you can make it funny if you want (can?), but not obscure.

Don't matter much then if they'll be replaced...which I'm sure they will be. :) Or not. I dunno. Should be good either way (no place for whiners to whine/a few good threads kinda losing weight).

well, i just wanted to make clear it wasn't a "punishment" or a way to express disapproval for the threads themselves. aside from personal opinion (yours truly, for instance, absolutely hates the "now eating" and the "person above me" threads, but that's not important), they're all perfectly legal. let's just reload them.

The DT Reloaded? Ugh, way to make the forum into a crap movie everyone will see then think 'what the fuck!?!'. It'll be doom man! DOOM! DOOM WITH A CAPITAL THERE'S AN IMP EATING MY FACE!!!111!!! I think it's time to go for the DT Revolutions. That way we can kill off the whole movie series in a way not even George Lucas could manage.

Oh, good idea about the threads by the way! :D

:lol: In that case, Rahvin will have to introduce far too many overdone special effects to the forum as well.

Yes, good idea.

First we need hundreds of rahvins running around shouting 'We will shut the threads' and multiplying at an alarming rate while stating that 'The now eating thread...is a plague...is a diseaaaaaaase, and I feel infected, contaminated by it'. Meanwhile, the heroic yet dense hero, naturally yours truly, will say 'woah' a lot, while being both confused and saddened by the lack of spoons.
'There is no spoon', I will lament, as I sit in front of a full bowl of ice-cream that is so close...yet so far away. :cry:

Erik said:
Question:

How exactly is a 2000000000 post thread slower to load than a 50 post thread, seeing as the forum software doesn't allow viewing more than 50 posts at a time?

answer: it still is. it's not as if i didn't notice that you can't have pages with a billion posts, you know.

Erik said:
Question:

How exactly is a 2000000000 post thread slower to load than a 50 post thread, seeing as the forum software doesn't allow viewing more than 50 posts at a time?

Better answer: Cos this is cBulletin. c = crap.

As for the threads, I guess killing a few is a good idea, not gonna
miss anything on them anyway, don't have time to read the forum
as it is. Stupid work.

the loading times issue: i guess that cBulletin loads a TOC for each thread, and there must be a pointer for each post. this would explain why long ones are slower: indexing them must be hell, especially if the underlying archives are fragmented. so there.

NP- spammers must have died. Let´s kill NF, it´s slow, and even I noticed it, though I am used to slow browsing. And picture thread also.

Let's get this thread to have 3,000+ posts.

pretty soon. now that the experiment with the first 3 threads is complete, i'm leaving this notice here until the end of the week without further changes, then i'll unstick this thread, incorporate this new rule in its appropriate place, and proceed with the rest of the closings/renewals without too much pump and show.