Looking for romantic-themed medieval metal songs

racingfan

New Metal Member
Nov 25, 2008
I'm getting married this year and the wedding has a medieval theme, and I am looking for love songs in the medieval genre. Any suggestions? All help ver apprectiated!

They won the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Grammy one year, and Metallica got mad, so the award was split into two categories every year since then. Considering that they're a hard rock band, there wasn't really anything wrong with them winning such an award, but Metallica has a long history of complaining about things. ;)

Rhapsody. All about the medieval stuff.
As for the love element...I dunno about that. Silent Dream off their latest feels kinda like a love song (lyrics are vague) but not as medieval. If you're willing to extend that to "medieval ballad" there's more for you.

Best of luck, by the way.

If you don't know about them already, Blackmores Night. Actually the exact picture i get from them is a medieval wedding.

Blackmore's Night is great, but they're really more Renaissance/Early Modern style folk.

I don't think you'll find much great Medieval folk music. A lot of bands that label themselves as "medieval" really don't play very medieval-influenced stuff anyway.

There's an old ballad called Captain Wedderburn about the wooing of a young lass. Perhaps you'd fancy that one. :cool: It's a great song.

They won the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Grammy one year, and Metallica got mad, so the award was split into two categories every year since then. Considering that they're a hard rock band, there wasn't really anything wrong with them winning such an award, but Metallica has a long history of complaining about things. ;)

it isnt split

How about some older Type O Negative? Check out their "October Rust" album.

black number 1

I'm getting married this year and the wedding has a medieval theme, and I am looking for love songs in the medieval genre. Any suggestions? All help ver apprectiated!

awesome! i always thought apocalyptica would be great for weddings. not medieval though.
this is a love song, but sad

you can also look for the song "over the hills and far away". nightwish and thyrfing both did covers of it. its a love song, but another sad love song.

Haggard. Lots of songs exactly like what you need.

fuckin great!

i'll think of more soon
~gR~

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, you can also look on folk metal albums. many of them have intsrumental pieces that are quite moving. a track on eluveitie's album Slania comes to mind.

~gR~

Last edited by a moderator:
doin some research and youre gonna be hard pressed to find actual medieval music, unless its gregorian chant.

you should get a bard to sing about the wedding, during the wedding...
~gR~

doin some research and youre gonna be hard pressed to find actual medieval music, unless its gregorian chant.

Exactly. Most of the times when we say "medieval" we're not actually thinking of medieval music.

There are some really good folk love songs that would fit a wedding environment. I already mentioned Captain Wedderburn. There's another one called Misty Moisty Morning that's a good love song and lots of fun. It's a story about a wedding, and it's great fun to dance to.

it isnt split

Wrong, since it totally is a split award now ever since that incident. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Hard_Rock/Metal_Performance_Vocal_or_Instrumental

Wikipedia with sources said:
In response to the criticism they received over the award, Jethro Tull's record label took out an advertisement in Billboard magazine with a picture of a flute (part of their trademark sound) lying amid a pile of iron rebars and the line, "The flute is a heavy metal instrument."[3] Metallica also added a sticker to ...And Justice for All reading "Grammy Award LOSERS", with the word "Losers" appearing in graffiti over a scratched out "winners".[4]

When Metallica did win a Grammy in 1992 drummer Lars Ulrich referenced the previous award by facetiously "thanking" Jethro Tull for not putting out an album that year,[5] though they actually had released the album "Catfish Rising" during the eligibility period.

This incident is a popularly cited example criticize the Grammy Awards selection committee being "out of touch" with popular sentiment. Separate awards for Best Hard Rock Performance and Best Metal Performance were introduced in 1990.

How about early Theatre of Tragedy. It's been a number of years since I listened to those 3albums but I seem to remember them being 'that way'.

I appreciate the help guys, thanks! I am starting to think what I'm looking for doesn't exist. I was hoping a band like Rhapsody would happen to have a song on an album that focused on a hero's love for his lass, like pledging love eternal, etc. They have some great stories out there, but I just can't seem to find a love song in them. But that's more what I'm looking for.

I do know and love Blackmore's Night. But oddly, their medieval-sounding songs are usually sad and the "happy" love songs don't sound medieval. They have a couple tracks that almost fit the bill, but my fiance couldn't get into them. :erk:

Anyway, if anyone has any more ideas, I'm totally open! Thanks!