Looking for romantic-themed medieval metal songs

I appreciate the help guys, thanks! I am starting to think what I'm looking for doesn't exist. I was hoping a band like Rhapsody would happen to have a song on an album that focused on a hero's love for his lass, like pledging love eternal, etc. They have some great stories out there, but I just can't seem to find a love song in them. But that's more what I'm looking for.

Vilden already mentioned Blind Guardian's "Maiden and the Minstrel Knight," and honestly I think that's about as close as you'll come to a Rhapsody-esque love song. It's actually based on the story of Tristan and Isolde, so there you have one of the most well-known and legendary love stories ever told. And the song has one of the most epic conclusions ever. "Proudly it stands until the world ends: The victorious banner of love." And then they go out with that absolutely sick guitar riff. Here's a link to the song (it takes a few seconds for the song to get going):

Last edited by a moderator:
Bathory - Ring Of Gold

[ame]http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=ATW3bx6yEQA&feature=related[/ame]

edit: it's not really a love song though... but maybe nobody will notice.

kind of a love song. dunno why i didn't think of that - it occurred to me that at some point they'd done a love song, but I couldn't remember when.

btw I realized the song I was trying to think of was not actually Rhapsody - it's Luca Turilli's first solo album. The song is Princess Aurora.
While the shadows rise and the ravens fly
To the silent wood of Kherd you come now
Memories, ride the silent dream
While the horizons fade to brown of new plains
And the elves of night now cross my way to my new dawn
And your heart is riding brave against the darkest shadowlord
I am here to await your soul

PRINCESS AURORA, WONDERFUL VISION
MAGIC LADY OF THE NORTHERN SKIES
KEEP MY HEART AND I WILL FLY AWAY
WITH THIS LOVE

Wonderful, born of miracle
Light my goal to the crystal throne of angels
Fantasies, travelers of my dreams
Steal my essence to blend it with her breath
And the elves of night now cross my way to my new dawn
And your heart is riding brave against the darkest shadowlord
I am here to await your soul

PRINCESS AURORA, WONDERFUL VISION
MAGIC LADY OF THE NORTHERN SKIES
KEEP MY HEART AND I WILL FLY AWAY
WITH THIS LOVE
Might be a little too fantasy though...
Timeless Oceans (from Prophets of the Last Eclipse) is also a love song, but that album is somewhat more sci-fi.

Nightwish has a very medival feel...and their whole sound is romantic. I would probably call them romance metal or opera metal if someone asked me to describe them.

Swanheart is pretty medieval romantic sounding with a flute. Super epic and romantic.

Walking in the Air is also romantic as heck sounding.

Nemo, Over the Hills, EverDream, Forever Yours, Beauty of the Beast

My understanding was that the OP was looking for songs that were both medieval-sounding and good. So I think that actually just disqualifies Nightwish right off the bat.

Ataraxia has some good medieval/acoustic/romantic songs.

This song is great but find the album version, this is live.

Non romantic but medieval and cool would be Empyrium: Many moons ago and When Shadows Grow Longer (version 99!!!)

Losing emotion...

...Finding devotion...

oh man the perfect wedding song right there

Vilden already mentioned Blind Guardian's "Maiden and the Minstrel Knight," and honestly I think that's about as close as you'll come to a Rhapsody-esque love song. It's actually based on the story of Tristan and Isolde, so there you have one of the most well-known and legendary love stories ever told. And the song has one of the most epic conclusions ever. "Proudly it stands until the world ends: The victorious banner of love." And then they go out with that absolutely sick guitar riff. Here's a link to the song (it takes a few seconds for the song to get going):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zSONEoJv18

OK, so I've been spending days listening to Maiden and the Minstrel Knight over and over -- beautiful song! Hopefully my fiance will like it -- the 5:30 run time might worry him (he's shy about the first dance) but I could always edit it. Any more Blind Guardian songs I should be considering?

And I did like Losing Emotion, Finding Devotion by Night Wish. Another to consider! I actually kinda like Night Wish lol.

Nightwish have a ton of perfect wedding songs, to be honest. "Forever Yours" (not a metal song, but beautiful), "Ever Dream," "Come Cover Me," "Swanheart," and more. You can probably find all these songs featured on youtube.

Well, sadly, my fiance wasn't "getting" Maiden and the Minstrel Knight. Are there any other songs based on famous medieval/Renaissance couples that anyone knows of? I like that idea...

No exactly metal, but there are shitloads of "medieval-rock" fusion bands from Germany. Corvus Corax, In Extremo, Saltatio Mortis... to name a few. The latter two are more bagpipe-rock than anything.