Looking for some bands with similier themes as Agalloch

DarkFifl

Jul 11, 2002
Vilseck Germany
Visit site
I've been listening to Agalloch alot lately and I've come to love their lyrics and music. The way they bring the melodies to highlight the raspy growls. Specialy in the song "In the shadow of our pale companion".

I love how they bring nature , nihilism and extistentialist themes into the music as well.

So basicly I'm wondering, any other bands like this that you all could reccomend?

Agalloch aren't that unique at all.

For starters, Pale Folklore is a very similar album to Ulver's Bergtatt with guitar parts lifted almost straight from Blackheim's book circa Brave Murder Day.

The Mantle melds Ulver's Bergtatt with post rock and neofolk influences from Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Sol Invictus.

For the natural theme, I would suggest the previously mentioned Ulver album and indeed the entire Trilogie (Bergtatt, Kveldssanger, and Nattens Madrigal).

Also, Empyrium's Songs of Moors and Misty Fields is absolutely mandatory for nature worship metal. If you like the neofolk slant, their following albums such as Where the Wood Grouse Plays consists of almost purely that style, but it is not as good as Ulver's folk material.

Also for more neo / dark folk:

If you like Agalloch's clean vocal style, get albums from these bands:

Die Verbannten Kinder Eva's
Death in June (very similar themes to Agalloch, HIGHLY recommended)
Legendary Pink Dots
The Tear Garden (cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy + Edward Ka-Spel of Legendary Pink Dots amongst others)

LuminousAether said:
Agalloch aren't that unique at all.

For starters, Pale Folklore is a very similar album to Ulver's Bergtatt with guitar parts lifted almost straight from Blackheim's book circa Brave Murder Day.

The Mantle melds Ulver's Bergtatt with post rock and neofolk influences from Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Sol Invictus.

For the natural theme, I would suggest the previously mentioned Ulver album and indeed the entire Trilogie (Bergtatt, Kveldssanger, and Nattens Madrigal).

Also, Empyrium's Songs of Moors and Misty Fields is absolutely mandatory for nature worship metal. If you like the neofolk slant, their following albums such as Where the Wood Grouse Plays consists of almost purely that style, but it is not as good as Ulver's folk material.

Yeah, although I'm a fan of Agalloch, their music bears a striking resemblence to early Ulver efforts, particularly Kveldssanger. Some passages remind me of A Silver Mt. Zion more than Godspeed You! Black Emperor, but since A Silver Mt. Zion consists almost entirely of Godspeed You! Black Emperor, it's a moot point.