Looking for someone to remix my bands album...

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hey guys, I play for a metal band from Canada called Ashes of the Fallen, check it out here...

http://www.myspace.com/aotfmusic

We still haven't managed to get the CD out yet and now that we have some extra time and money on our hands, we were thinking about maybe getting the album remixed. We're not happy with the drum sound at all and were hoping we could find someone to basically sound replace all of the drums and remix it. The guitars would be as is, we didn't track them with reamping in mind so we have no raw tracks, but we're pretty satisfied with the guitar sound. The vocals we are also totally satisfied with, and the bass is equally fine, the recording is just lacking that polished, punchy oomph that comes from having a really great drum sound.

I was planning on contacting Yannick St-Amand to see if he would be available, but I thought I'd come here and see if anyone would be interested! If anyone here thinks they would be up for it, please get in touch with me so we can talk about it and I can hear some samples of what you've done before!

You should be able to get a good idea of what our goal is production wise based on the type of music we play, sort of an As I Lay Dying/Killswitch thing with some more clean singing. Something totally resampled and mechanical sounding like the drum sound on Shadows are Security would be great, so if you think that's something you'd be able to handle please let me know! Thanks guy!

Anyone interested, please shoot me an e-mail at batman24_7@hotmail.com! Thanks again.

You should throw up a song for everyone to mix on here and pick the best mix and have that person mix your stuff. Plus its cool for us to work with a good band and get practice mixing!!

Think about it. :headbang::kickass::headbang:

I certainly second that! Would be great to mix and master something I actually enjoy listening to (without any kind of fucken contract!)! The tracks on myspace are stellar (despite some minor timing issues, this fucken rocks)!! I'm an old Swede and I definitely claim I know what this should sound like, haha :heh:!! PM me or upload the raw tracks of one song or so to the sneap FTP for everyone to have a go at it!

Cool that's not a bad idea, I don't have the session unfortunately but I think I could get ahold of it within the next day or so. What formats does everything need to be in, we did it in ProTools so would you guys need the session file, or just the individual tracks as sound files from each song? We did the album in 2 sessions, 5 tracks in each just placed after each other in succession, but I can't open those files on my computer so I'd have to upload the whole half of the album, or I could bug the engineer to copy one track over to a new session. Only problem is I feel like a dick asking him for all this stuff and making it clear we don't like how it sounds and we're going to get someone else to do it, because he's a great friend of ours haha, but whatever, do what you have to do I guess.

I'll try and get a ProTools session of just one track. What about you guys who don't use ProTools, can you still import the same session or how would that work...?

I don't want to turn this into a competition, I want everyone to realize how much I appreciate you guys willing to help us out! I'll be back soon with some files for you guys, thanks.

Just the raw source material as individual wav-files (24bit, 44.1kHz) if possible, labeled sensibly (kick.wav, snare.wav,..., guitA1.wav, guitA2, guitB1, guitB2,voxMain.wav,...) and of equal length. I guess it would be ok to give us partial groups/submixes of vocal/fx/solo stuff consolidated into one wav-file depending on how many tracks you originally recorded. An other option would be to supply us with the unmastered complete mixes and we could master it for you. However, it would be best if you'd be able to allow us to start at the mixing stage. Cheers, H

Well I'll ask the engineer about mixing down separate tracks for everyone, but if he's not too keen on it simply because we aren't happy with his mix and he wants to charge us for him to do it or something, I'll just get the ProTools sessions and if you'd still be willing to help out with the wave exports Stillborn, that would be AWESOME of you!

Yea i have Protools and I'm sure a few others with protools would be more than willing to take the session and make individual .wav files of each track and post on the Sneap Ftp.

I'm having my digi002 modded by Black Lion Audio right now and when i get back i have to finish a mix so I'm just a little busy. So if someone with protools can get that done quicker please do but if not i will be more than willing as soon as i get back my digi002.:headbang:

Awesome guys thanks a lot, well I'll get the Protools session for sure either tomorrow or Tuesday and I'll be back with it. Is there any easier way of getting it to you other than mailing out a DVD? I'm not sure how big the sessions will be, but I've got a ridiculous amount of webspace that I could host it on, it's just a matter of successfully uploading a file that big without losing my connection or other random bullshit.

The vocals are fine, the only thing I really want to change is the drums, and then probably altering the guitars and bass a bit to sit with the new drum sound. If I get the Protools session, will the vocals sound the same when you guys mix them down it individual tracks? I'm worried about people not having the same plugins we used, etc. I'll still try and get our engineer to mix down the separate tracks for me and save everyone some effort as that would correct this problem, but if he is going to give me a hard time about it I just want to make sure the vocals are still going to sound the same...

Oh then definitely count me out for the protools thingie, I have no plugin whatsoever, only the ones that came with it, and I don't even know what they are since I never use ProTools (only for taking a pt session and putting it into cubase).

Crap...

I can probably get the tracks we need, I just wanted a backup plan haha... We should be okay, I'm sure someone here that is an avid Protools user would be willing to help out, I don't think we used any really weird plugins, stuff that most people probably have.