Lord of the Rings Discussion Thread

If you like the Turin Turambar story you should read the tale of Kullervo in the Kalevala, that's the inspiration.

Regarding the wizards, I think much of Tolkien's success as a world builder lies in the fact that he doesn't overexplain everything. Not knowing that much about the Istari for example makes them more mysterious; I love that he just throws in two extra wizards going 'east' and almost never mentions them again.

Mathiäs;10774711 said:
Kara-Shehr stated that they helped fight Morgoth and I was refuting that. Olórin, Curunír/Curumo, Aiwendil, as well as the blue wizards Alatar and Pollando were all born around the same time, before Arda was created. Curunír was apparently the first to enter Middle Earth but I have read that the blue wizards were sent to the east during the second age to stir up rebellions against Sauron, and subsequently sent back again in the 3rd age.

Yeah my memory is really rusty but they were definitely around during that time though and played a role in the war. I'm not a super hardcore fan like you either so you probably have a better grasp on it than I do but it's still fun to talk about though.

I still haven't seen the latest hobbit movie, I'll just wait until it comes out on dvd like the last one.

Another thing I like about Tolkien versus other fantasy writers is how he uses names and fictional languages. Many times with other authors the different names just feel random and awkward while in Tolkien there's a real etymology which makes the world richer. Different names in the same category often have the same roots and stems; Minas Tirith (Tower of the guard) and Minas Morgul (Tower of sorcery) for example, and the swords of the Nazgul are called Morgul blades.

Why did they leave Tom Bombadil out of the movie series? And does the Silmarillion ever explain what he is?

I tried to read the Silmarillion but it is the longest snoozefest list of difficult names. I enjoyed the other books though.

Why did they leave Tom Bombadil out of the movie series? And does the Silmarillion ever explain what he is?

He doesn't really move the plot forward and a Tom Bombadil segment would probably have screwed up the pacing of the movie. He isn't in the Silmarillion.

I love LoTR
Wish I was more of a reader. pisses me off actually.

Lol me too...espec when it comes to LOTRs.

...and thanks for the insight Mathias (and others).

A question i would have and i know this is probably hard to predict, but is there a possibility of going back in time pre Hobbit or extending the story past Return of the King? Meaning both scenerios on the big screen. Someday ill hopefully get more into the books, in the meantime just curious to how many god damn epic movies we can get out of this.

They could make a movie about Morgoth and his reign of terror, but nothing would be as good as the LoTR.

Tom Bambadil is cool but doesn't play a big role in any of Tolkien's main stories unless I am mistaken. Some believe that he could be Ilúvatar himself, or just a Maia or something.

Yeah, LOTR is fucking amazing. I have all 3 on DVD, all 3 on extended dvd, all 3 blue ray and have all 3 on extended on blue ray, don't ask me why what the point of having both versions on different formats is lol.

DoS was awesome by the way Benedict Cumberbatch's dialogue for Smaug was fucking amazing.

Mathiäs;10774988 said:
They could make a movie about Morgoth and his reign of terror, but nothing would be as good as the LoTR.

There isn't enough detail in the books to make any entire movie about that. They would have to practically write the entire script from scratch. I always thought some of the battle scenes would be incredible though. Seeing Sauron turning into a werewolf, thousands of balrogs, dragons and vampire lords doing battle with elvish forces would all be cinematic gold.

I guess im somewhat confused...which isnt surprising. Peter Jackson has made a total of six installments to cover LOTRs based on Tolkiens books? I'm guessing his screen version(s) are not exactly like the books due to condensing, altering etc. But do the six parts we do have on the big screen basically cover everything...or can LOTR have lets say another prequel (to Hobbit) or a story that could extend The Return Of The King?

I guess im somewhat confused...which isnt surprising. Peter Jackson has made a total of six installments to cover LOTRs based on Tolkiens books? I'm guessing his screen version(s) are not exactly like the books due to condensing, altering etc. But do the six parts we do have on the big screen basically cover everything...or can LOTR have lets say another prequel (to Hobbit) or a story that could extend The Return Of The King?

Yes they are drastically different than the books. And yes and yes to your last two questions as well.

The LOTR books were pretty much well covered with movies, there are numerous differences between the movies and books but overall I loved the movie series anyway. And there isn't much in the 4th age (after Frodo, Bilbo Gandalf etc leave Middle Earth) to speak about. Jackson fucked up by trying to make three movies out of the Hobbit, imo there isn't enough in the book to warrant that. I think they could make a compilation movie out of some of his other stories, like the ancient battles of Melkor, Hurin, and the early days of Sauron, but it would not be easy to do well as there isn't anything solid to base it off of.

Got it...its all becoming clearer to me (not really) lol.

Not that we havnt been given enough up to this point, but it's good to imagine and hear about the potential that may lie ahead. More so the possibility of some of these epic battles that you guys have mentioned. Im all for this stuff on the big screen, this is easy and obvious to say yet i get there is much more to the series than just epic battles. Jackson though has mastered the art of presenting epic battles imo, i.e. Helms Deep or the riders of Rohan marching into a certain death as the Hobbit sings and entertains the ruthless King. One of my alltime fave moments thru any of this.

I don't think there's anything more from Tolkien that suits the movie format as nothing else is a condensed adventure with a clear climax but I can imagine The Children of Hurin as a 7-8 hour mini series.

If anything more is filmed I would prefer if they gave it to a new director and went away from New Zeland. I never felt that the nature of New Zealand fits Middle Earth/Beleriand; it should be more pine and moss than wide open landscapes and birch trees.

Ha ha.

Maybe the History Chanel could jump in and do a LOTR (or connected storyline) mini series. Theyve had a cpl real good recent series in Vikings / Hatfields and McCoys. Just wonder if anything to do w/ LOTRs will require a monster budget and production fit more for the big screen?

So long as Jackson doesn't get his fatass hands on it I'm cool with it. I would rather see AMC get it than History, but AMC shows are more about questioning morality behind larger-than-life-characters instead of massive worlds and epic battles. Wait, Children of Hurin contains a larger-than-life hero with questionable morals...

It would be amazing if they could do it. Unfortunately I don't see it happening.

I wish there was a book only about Saruman or the wizards. When they first came to middle earth they went East, I'd like to know what happened on that journey.