Lord of the Rings Discussion Thread

It clearly slowed their minds.

But yeah considering it was thousands of years before the events of the Hobbit, I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't remember lol

I really dug all the movies a shit ton, Ian McKellan and Christopher Lee are amazing actors who work really fucking well together. Those, Sin City and Wilfred are the only cinematic works I can stomach Elijah Woods in.

I own a compilation of the first three novels but every time I try reading them I get annoyed because of entire pages filled with 'who was kin to this person, who was betrothed to this person, who was kin to this person, of this house, of this kingdom, kin to these people, related to...." ARGHHH!

I am a huge Tolkien fan. Read LOTR and the Hobbit a dozen times at least. I finally got around to rereading The Silmarillion over the summer, which was excellent, didn't get into it as much when I tried reading it in middle school. I need to reread Unfinished Tales and Lost Tales soon, it's been a while. Also, haven't read Children of Hurin, need to get on that.

I am joining the crowd that does not understand wtf Jackson is doing making a 3 part Hobbit movie. LOTR was amazing and relatively close to the books as far as the whole book to movie thing goes, but with the Hobbit everything is SO overdramatized, and it contains characters which are either nonexistent or didn't even appear in the book. WTF is Azog even doing? He's fucking dead.

That said, I DoS was entertaining, I'll give it that. I'm excited for the Battle of Five Armies, because I know Jackson will at least get that right.

I really dug all the movies a shit ton, Ian McKellan and Christopher Lee are amazing actors who work really fucking well together. Those, Sin City and Wilfred are the only cinematic works I can stomach Elijah Woods in.

I don't think there could've been a better actor for Saruman than Christopher Lee. His voice is ridiculous.

Yeah agreed. Plus he has a good look for it, not just because he's a wise looking old dude, but he has a certain calm and severe madness to his face. Same way McKellan has that strength hidden behind peaceful good cheer look.

Lee's acting when he was younger was pretty decent (Satanic Rites of Dracula) but he was fucking born to play Saruman and other badass old wizards. He and McKellan both totally have a monopoly on such roles until they die, as well they should.

Mathiäs;10778114 said:
I like to think that Bombadil is Eru himself. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Tolkien has explicitly stated that Bombadil isn't Eru. I don't think he's supposed to be anyone specific really, just a fairytale element that Tolkien threw in there because he's a fun character.

Tolkien has explicitly stated that Bombadil isn't Eru. I don't think he's supposed to be anyone specific really, just a fairytale element that Tolkien threw in there because he's a fun character.

I know that. He's probably a rogue Maiar or something. Another theory is that he was created by Eru when he created Arda, like a father nature type of being, which would explain his elvish name (eldest fatherless).

It is strange that he can communicate with trees, I think it's explained in the first book but I forget.