loss of faith?

Gandalf

elite sheesha smoker
Jan 1, 2002
St. Louis, Mzuri
www.4people2.com
I've always wondered that within 500 years or so, will everyone be an athiest? I'm thinking about it and I notice that there are lots of people around me seem not to give a shit about religion in general anymore, as in, they don't practice it. I mean, this is my case as well, i don't really care too much about my religion anymore. I think my life would be a lot easier if i were to be an athiest. just curious if its the same in your areas.

as a catholic and when I was young, I actually believed that everybody was either catholic or Jewish :lol: -

After I joined the navy, I came into contact with many born again christians from the bible belt and gave up on catholicism.

In my twenties, I was into some serious soul-searching. I studied the bible everyday and became born-again.

But once I started to question biblical inconsistencies and came up with my own logical interppretations, I began to realize that christianity, like all other religions, is just a business.

Upon furthering my studies in college and taking some Egyptian and African History classes, I realized that christianity was just an off-shoot of Judaism, which was an off-shoot of the ancient Egyptian religion of the Ba and the Ra.

Now, I believe in myself and I have never felt better.

However, I am not an athiest. I am a deist/agnostic.

Faith isn't just believing in a religious icon of omnipotence. I have faith that the sun will rise, then set, then rise again; and in between these diurnal rituals the moon will wax and wane; streams will push themselves into the sky effortlessly; and I have faith that this is how it is, and always will be: even when I no longer know it.

Faith. I remember one day...as simple of a word that it is...I looked it up. Just to see what the exact words were for its definition. It's mainly an unquestionable belief, but specifically in God. So, faith is a word that wouldn't exist without religion.

:lol:

Anyway, I was going to say that if GOD doesn't come back down here ever again and show himself again, then YES. I think in 500 years....................

DAMMIT! This happens all the time. I just wrote this post like 10 times! I'm trying post my thoughts about something and while wording my thoughts, I keep changing my mind and considering different conclusions! These are things I don't have a thought out answer for. "Do I think the world will be filled with atheist in 500 years." Where else...but here...can you be asked such questions??? :tickled:

:lol: Never mind what I was going to say about FAITH! zippadeedoodaa...

I think an asteroid from the depths of the universe is hurtling it's gigantic self towards Earth as we speak and in 500 years....maybe it will hit Jupiter first.

"Some say a comet will fall from the sky followed by meteor showers and title waves followed by fault lines that cannot set still fallowed by billions of dumbfounded dipshits and some say the end is near."

Perhaps someone needs a new dictionary and a broader perspective of what God could be.

from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary:

2)faith: believe, trust

I looked up the word before I posted my former message.

There will always be people who question "where did we come from?" 10,000 years from now, if that question has not been answered (TRULY answered - not like now with the theory of evolution - a theory full of loopholes). Religion gives many people the answer to their origin. It's quite difficult, (even for some scientists), to believe in a "big bang," or creation out of nowhere. I know it still is for me. I have no idea where I came from. I don't know if we came from apes, since we still have chimps, gorillas, and such, and they haven't changed much in the past years (why haven't they evolved into humans, I wonder?) Anyway, I still think that religion and the belief that someone bigger than us is out there will be around for many, many, many years to come.

And I believe that if Jesus doesn't make an appearance soon, people will create a new book (like the Mormons), and worship whatever is in that. It will be a recycling of Gods, until we kill ourselves, imho.

Originally posted by Gandalf
I've always wondered that within 500 years or so, will everyone be an athiest? I'm thinking about it and I notice that there are lots of people around me seem not to give a shit about religion in general anymore, as in, they don't practice it.

I think that how intensively religion is practiced partly depends on how well people are doing: If some world war started, I'm sure a lot of people would start praying to their god...

I think that eventually religion will become a thing of that past. As humans evolve I feel there is less of a need for us to lie to each other to get us to behave ourselves.

At the same time I think "spirituality" (which is an internalized human concept) will actually increase since there will be no fear or lies to hinder it and people will finally be free to be who they are in a "spiritual" (non-religious) sense instead of what others tell them they should be (ie. nice little god-fearing servants to the unseen cruel dictator in the sky, heheh).

Satori

I propose all us heathens of the world invest more money and effort into contact with extraterrestrials. Granted, the likelihood of contact with intelligent life forms is slim to nil, but the ends justify this seemingly impossible task. Just imagine the mass religious hysteria contact would cause. One can only dream I suppose, for now…

Originally posted by Satori
At the same time I think "spirituality" (which is an internalized human concept) will actually increase since there will be no fear or lies to hinder it and people will finally be free to be who they are in a "spiritual" (non-religious) sense instead of what others tell them they should be (ie. nice little god-fearing servants to the unseen cruel dictator in the sky, heheh).

This would truly be bliss.

Candelabrum: Perhaps someone needs a new dictionary and a broader perspective of what God could be. From Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary: 2)faith: believe, trust. I looked up the word before I posted my former message.

Well, that's a wise thing to do. That's why I did too. The feeling you left in this post reeks. Perhaps! Perhaps it is a new dictionary. Perhaps dictionaries have different things printed in one from the next but they're all saying basically the same thing. I noticed that the one at home and the one here that I looked it up in BEFORE I posted also had two differently worded meanings. I understand what the word means, I just feel it wouldn't exist originally and today used in other ways without religion.

AND you feel I NEED a broader perspective of what GOD could be?? :lol: :mad: You feel you know what I need. Well. Where the hell have you been all my life? Would someone get this monkey off my back? Please?! If I am told to "give God a go" one more time by someone, I'm going to physically hunt them down and beat them. GOD FAILS ME. Leave it alone.

faith: 1 unquestioning belief, specif. in God, religion, etc. 2 a particular religion 3 complete trust or confidence 4 loyalty

It was peppered throughout the first two definitions, so I made my comments regarding that. That was fun. Let's do it again tomorrow. :bah: Sorry, but that got under my skin.

"But you were beyond all help."

'Evolution' is just as proven as 'god' is.

Beleive what you want to beleive, make your own religion.

The soul is the only certain thing for me. Thats it.

Originally posted by Gandalf
I've always wondered that within 500 years or so, will everyone be an athiest? I'm thinking about it and I notice that there are lots of people around me seem not to give a shit about religion in general anymore, as in, they don't practice it. I mean, this is my case as well, i don't really care too much about my religion anymore. I think my life would be a lot easier if i were to be an athiest. just curious if its the same in your areas.

this is my theory:

god and religion were invented to answer unknown questions about the universe....nowadays those questions are answered by science...as science progresses and advances, more and more questions will be answered and people will become less dependent on religion to bring them answers

Faith = Illogical (from a religious perspective)

I am an agnostic - for there is no proof of God's existance or lack thereof.

I have faith in my abilities, in my wife and children, in my family.

So I am missing a piece of faith, that religious piece, but will probably always be an agnostic.

Sorry but i couldnt resist posting this, Religion is the metaphysics of the masses, by all means let them keep it: let it therefore command external respect, for to discredit it is to take it away, just as they have a popular poetry, and the popular wisdom of the proverbs, so they must have a popular metaphyics too: for mankind absolutely needs AN INTERPRETATION OF LIFE; and this again, must be suited to popular comprehension. Schopenhauer Religion: A Dialogue
This passage also is quite similar to music, as the masses have linkin park, slipknot creed, brittany etc., that is actually a simplistic interpretation of music, a language we all need, etc. Once again , sorry I just dont have many good opportunities to bring out the schopenhauer etc.

Originally posted by Sadistik
Unfortunately, it's estimated that 94% of the US believes in God, and 85% of the world....

why is that unfortunate?

the thing im always puzzled with is, and can someone who knows answer this, are those um how shall i say stories, like Noahs Ark, Adam and Eve meant to be TRUE stories that people believed happened or are they just morale stories? i havent got a clue, its just wierd for people to believe those stories, but when theres stories about Cyclopes' and alll those Greek and Roman gods, people laugh, i mean they're both in the same league aren't they.

Originally posted by bleed for me

this is my theory:

god and religion were invented to answer unknown questions about the universe....nowadays those questions are answered by science...as science progresses and advances, more and more questions will be answered and people will become less dependent on religion to bring them answers

Yeh! I believe just like this 'cause the "ancient" religious ways are too much in the way, heh , The science is the "only thing" that can really give us the real answers . "The God" thing is such a "easy" way ,maybe it's just me but people seem to take this path without a question , like an any cult thingy :d . this is just my beliefs today, there was times that I was blind to other things but the god is not the answer for me anymore...

then again if you think the LOGIC of the things let's say the universe in whole which we know it , I must say that there is definate proof of some "ignitor" or "activator" of all this :D ...

just my two cents :D .

Originally posted by bleed for me

this is my theory:

Yeh! I believe just like this 'cause the "ancient" religious ways are too much in the way, heh , The science is the "only thing" that can really give us the real answers . "The God" thing is such a "easy" way ,maybe it's just me but people seem to take this path without a question , like an any cult thingy :d . this is just my beliefs today, there was times that I was blind to other things but the god is not the answer for me anymore...

then again if you think the LOGIC of the things let's say the universe in whole which we know it , I must say that there is definate proof of some "ignitor" or "activator" of all this :D ...

just my two cents :D .