Loved yesterday, meh today

Ellestin

one-click buy
Sep 4, 2003
www.convivialhermit.net
Yes, among those albums we find appealing enough to buy, some end up as classics, others as great albums we wouldn't ever consider trading away... and some others just become horribly lame as they get older. In my experience, only a minority of records enter the latter category, but when they do, bad for them.

I first asked myself this question when I realized how fucking outdated my Oxiplegatz albums sounded. Even though they're not aeons old, there are just dozens of much older albums that sound way better even today. "Worlds and Worlds" still has a peculiar flavour to me due to the context of its discovery, but I can't imagine myself listening to "Sidereal Journey" ever again, thus I put it on my trading list.

I'd be curious what are your own examples of once cherished albums that have definitely done their time, and why? Do you think some albums do age badly because of what they are, or is it a purely subjective thing?

I second that although the excitement vanished in a week so it dosen't count :)

Some of my Black Metal collection dosen't age pretty good , as I said I hope it's only a minor disinterest..

For instance , Nemesis Divina rarely gets a spin .And so does Windir and Summoning (thrice a year maybe..)

Apart from that it's ok I guess....

Trash, traditional, and nu-metal generally don't age too well from my collection.

I'm curious as to how the more avant garde stuff I like will age over the years. Mr. Bungle has aged pretty well, I'm hoping Ulver, Kayo Dot, et. al. will have the same fate.

If that happens to me it'll be like I listen to an album, think it's kinda cool, then file it away and forget about it for ages :oops: I don't think I've got anything which I've reached the extreme end of that spectrum with...

Nothing. I don't subscribe to this concept, and never have. It makes zero sense to me. If I find something to be "meh" today, it's only because I didn't *truly* "love" it to begin with.

I agree with Keeley on this one.

However, I think the albums we are listening to now, are the ones that wont age well. For the most part, they are neither classic or original, or even influential.
But Venom really doesnt age well. But its hard to knock their impact. Its just soo amateurish its difficult to listen to.

People today tend listen to an album once and either dismiss it instantly or fall in love with it immediately. Both premature and unfair observations IMO.

True, because they have heard it or something exactly like it before.

But i am reopening a prior debate and I shouldnt. Although i finished my damn masters thesis today, so I finally have the time to argue.

I don't know about you guys, but making the "decision" to fall in love with an album prematurely sounds like a fucking stupid concept! When I fall in love with an album the first time I hear it, that isn't a decision I've made, it's a gut feeling inspired by the power conveyed through the music! Sometimes it fades on repeated listens, sometimes it grows, sometimes just plateaus and remains the same as the initial verdict. I like to go with feeling more than intellect on this one, but that's just the anti-critic in me!

EDIT: I just realized that I inadvertently proved Keeley right despite my intention to oppose him on this one! Must've brained my damage with all the studying I've been doing.

"brained my damage" hahaha. :loco:

I guess I look at it from a reviewer's perspective. Some people like One Inch Nad will never consider an album worthy of a 10/10 score until they've had it for a number of years. Other people, such as Papa Josh, will hand out a 10/10 on one or two listens.

I guess I'm somewhere in between. :) EDIT: Although leaning more towards several months of listening before ranking with the top score.

Here's my take on it: If I think an album is worthy of it after one listen, I'd award it a 10/10 right then and there. That designation, however, would exist only as a marker in time, a variable subject to change with every repeat listen. I've been known to change my opinions on even fairly "easy listening" albums even after owning them for several months/years, 'cause I'm just a whore like that!