Modern Classics

I definitely agree with a lot the posts already mentioned so I'll try not to repeat too much.

Some I'd like to add that I can think of at the moment are:

Belenos - Errances Oniriques
Borknagar - Quintessence
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - Nocturnal March (this is 2004, but I think it still applies)
Destruction - Metal Discharge
Goatwhore- The Eclipse of Ages into Black
Gojira - I'm really tempted to put "From Mars to Sirius" here even though that's breaking the rules but...
Gorguts - Obscura
Iced Earth - Horror Show
Immolation - Close to a World Below
Immortal- (just 'cause I need to state the obvious) Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
Crowbar - Sonic Excess in its Purest Form
Earth - Hex: Or Printing in the Intern (I know 2005... I keep breaking the rules :[ but i totally see this album as "standing the test of time")
Endstille - Fruhlingserwachen I mean this one might be a stretch as I don't hear much talk about Endstille to be honest.
Katatonia - Discouraged Ones (I know this is '98 but... yeah.)
Khanate - Khanate (This just might be just a personal favorite of mine, but anyone who's into drone doom always refer to this band and this album. It's brilliant but definitely not for everyone.)
Kylesa - Kylesa
Lykathea Aflame - Elevenfris
Manilla Road - Spiral Castle *Absolute favorite Manilla Road album
The Meads of Aspohdel - The Excommunication of Christ
Melechesh - Sphynx ?? I'm not sure about this one but I definitely think they did something pretty different in this album.
Nokturnal Mortum - NeChrist
Oxbow - An Evil Heat
Root - Madness of the Graves
Rwake - If You Crawl Before You Walk, You Crawl Before You Die
Shining - The Errie Cold
Watain - Casus Luciferi
Windir - 1184
Ulver - Perdition City

Sigur Ros - Odin's Raven Magic <- this isn't metal, but who cares at this point. Really awesome album.

Into the Mirror Black, sure, but Refuge Denied is pretty average and only really stands out because of the cover and Mustaine connection. The Politics of Ecstasy was a much more interesting and original album for its time than that one.

Alright, so here is my list of Modern Classics from January 1st, 2000 to Today's date, 2003. Don't like it? Well fuck you. I'm right and you're wrong.

Reverend Bizarre &#8211; In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
The Lord Weird Slough Feg &#8211; Traveller
Orodruin &#8211; Epicurean Mass
Antaeus &#8211; Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan
Hail &#8211; Inheritance of Evilness
Absu &#8211; Tara
Destroyer 666 &#8211; Phoenix Rising
Blut Aus Nord &#8211; The Work Which Transforms God
Inquisition &#8211; Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan
The Chasm &#8211; Conjuration of the Spectral Empire

Honorable Mentions
Manilla Road &#8211; Spiral Castle
Pig Destroyer &#8211; Prowler in the Yard
Funebrarum &#8211; Beneath the Column of Abandoned Gods
The Chasm &#8211; Procession to the Infraworld

In 3 weeks you'll have to make a space for Blood's Dysangelium, and I'd probably prefer Katharsis' debut to some of those (wasn't big on Slough Feg but I haven't listened to them much), but you're about as right as it's gonna get in this thread.

Those hail and antaeus albums are one and done listens. Nothing overly special about them.

Reading this thread is kinda interesting, especially when someone who doesn't listen to predominately black or death metal posted. It's nice to get a different perspective for once.