Modern Classics

This thread should be a prelude to voting on a canonical list that should be enshrined somewhere for the benefit of posterity.

That's what I'm thinking. Not sure how the logistics would work though. I'm more than happy to sticky anything that looks good though

...as long as it has more than ONE mention of Negura Bunget's OM :bah:

Virgin Steele's Invictus (a couple years too early, but whatever) as well as both parts of The House of Atreus

Skepticism - Farmakon How the fuck is this album not even mentioned. Skepticism only created a sub-genre of metal and completely blew away any other band that attempted to replicate its sound. The untitled track on this album alone should put this album in the discussion as a classic. Farmakon is just as good as Stormcrowfleet and Lead and Aether and those are both 10/10 releases.

Hail - Inheritance of Evilness This album is not original but i love it just as much as any hellenic black metal classic that came out in the 90s

Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame This is my favorite album by Primordial. Great lyrics and "epic" (i fucking hate that word) tracks throughout the album

Enslaved - Mardraum - Beyond The Within Remember when Enslaved was progressive but still had balls?

Agalloch - The Mantle This is barely a metal album but there might not be a single album i've listened to more than this one from the early 2000s. this album opened the door to neofolk and ambient music for me so i appreciate it for that just as much as i do for the material on it.

Check this

The Gates of Slumber - Conqueror
Warning - Watching From a Distance
Ereb Altor - S/T (Unoriginal as hell, but makes it on quality alone)
Lost Horizon - Awakening the World
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars
Manilla Road - Gates of Fire
Therion - Gothic Kabbalah

lol yep.

So I listened to Manilla Road's Voyager yesterday and I have to say that that is the best Manilla Road album of their reunion. Definitely destined to make it on my Modern Classics list when the time comes.

My attempt at a list trying my best to stay within the time frames, but a few are a little later or before.

Agalloch - The Mantle
Avenger - Godless (...Assuming the Throne of Immortality...)
Blodsrit - Ocularis Infernum
Blut aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal (2005, but I have no doubts it will stand the test of time)
Bornholm - ...On the Way of the Hunting Moon
Celtic Frost - Monotheist (Again not within the time frame, but definitely a modern classic)
Craft - Terror Propaganda
Deströyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Electric Wizard - We Live
Enslaved - Below The Lights
Hail - Inheritance of Evilness
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Inquisition - Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan
Isis - Oceanic
Lunar Aurora - Elixir of Sorrow
Manilla Road - Mark of the Beast
Megiddo - The Devil and the Whore
Morgion - Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth
Morrigan - Celts
Nagelfar - Virus West
Neurosis - Times of Grace
Night Conquers Day - Rebellion Is the Art of Survival
Nocternity - Onyx
Orodruin - Epicurean Mass
Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame
Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
Sear Bliss - Forsaken Symphony
Septicflesh - Sumerian Daemons
Slugathor - Unleashing the Slugathron
Taake - Nattestid...
The Chasm - Procession to the Infraworld
The Ruins of Beverast - Unlock the Shrine - Reliquary of the White Abyss
Weakling - Dead As Dreams

Definitely lots that I can agree with there. Totally forgot about those Chasm albums. Both those two albums definitely Modern Classics. I also feel like a shithead for forgetting Orodruin and Nocternity. Definitely on my list as well.