Lyrics about girls, relationships, etc.

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
fucking suck. They take the metalness right out of the music. Anyone else here hate lyrics like that? Oh, and before some asshole tells me that I hate such lyrics just because I get no pussy, I get more attention from women that I can handle.;)

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
There are such lyrics? I'm worried now...I pick lyrics with gore in it over lyrics about girls and relationships anyday...and that says alot because I hate gore lyrics.
Yeah, I don't care for gore lyrics either, but as you say, they sure beat girly lyrics.

More girls than you can handle, eh? I'll save all the mother/sister jokes. They're too obvious... ;)

I don't mind those kinds of lyrics, as long as it's done in a artistic manner, and not in a girly, whiny way (see commercial music). Plenty of metaphors doesn't hurt either.

And I hate gore lyrics. Fuckin' braindead.

Yeah, lyrics like Killswitch suck, but don't forget about stuff like My Dying Bride or Opeth. I agree that for the most part lyrics about girls aren't as metal as say, Death's lyrics or Immortal's.

Gore lyrics = Cliche
Girl Lyrics = Worst cliche ever. I'd wager that Girl lyrics have been around for several millenia and haven't changed a bit.

I think it's a worthy topic to write about if you're a skilled enough song writer to pull it off without being trite or cliche, because it is the most overdone lyrical topic there is. But there is a reason it's been done so much, because romance pulls out such a wide array of intense feelings, so if portrayed correctly the lyrics can be very effective (ie Opeth or My Dying Bride).

Edit: I should clarify that in general lyrics about love/relationships are horrible. Bands that sing about groupies, parties etc are even worse. I'd like to hear someone write a really intense song about sex from it's most primal level. Don't make it pretty, don't make it slick, just make it full of primal lust and desire

This type of embarassment has plagued the mainstream music industry for as long as I remember. Every song made by different artists just usually sing some shit about how I got dumped by some chick and it may or may not get better. I'm sick of it but there are bands that I like that are straying more and more towards mainstream music and people just like them because they're flavour of the month.. (Point and example would be Slipknot). Plenty of stupid ignorant kids here (in Canada) think they're the best but the difference between why I like them and why they like them is because the mass media tells them to like them where as I liked them waaaaay before they were considered popular by the average person. It's a very sad reflection about the music industry that it's all about the money now- which is why I try to get myself out of that scene and more into the underground metal/goth/techno or whatever..

Lyrics like "Closed Casket Requiem" by The Black Dahlia Murder rules. Other than that, I really don't like most lyrics about girls and relationships.

crimsonfloyd said:
I think it's a worthy topic to write about if you're a skilled enough song writer to pull it off without being trite or cliche, because it is the most overdone lyrical topic there is. But there is a reason it's been done so much, because romance pulls out such a wide array of intense feelings, so if portrayed correctly the lyrics can be very effective (ie Opeth or My Dying Bride).

Edit: I should clarify that in general lyrics about love/relationships are horrible. Bands that sing about groupies, parties etc are even worse. I'd like to hear someone write a really intense song about sex from it's most primal level. Don't make it pretty, don't make it slick, just make it full of primal lust and desire

You should remember 34.788% Complete. That album is almost entirely about sex, and it is pretty graphic (see Base Level Erotica).