Lyrics about girls, relationships, etc.

Well written romantic-girl-whatever love lyrics are good, like My Dying Bride. Theres nothing wrong with love lyrics themselves, but when you write them in a commercial pop way "OMG she dumbed me again, i cant believe this! I must pretend that i actually care, since its cool!" "I cant believe he actually left me! This is almost as bad as the time when i spilled some juice on my shoes!".

Same goes with lyrics about misery and mourning. Angsty numetal lyrics are terrible.

By the way, i remember someone saying on a Korn forum "Child molestation is a terrible thing, even though it created Korn". Korn is the reason why child molestation sucks so much. The other reason would be that they become freaks for the rest of their life, but the primary reason would be Korn.

So remember: dont molest kids, since it makes them all numetal.

Christie_fell said:
I shove myself gently into her, gasping she smiles and cries
Her blood streams from the vagina, she used to be a virgin whore
(Fucking her, this is my Fantasy!)
Father knew better than to take that away
His dick only went in her mouth and her ass
I am the one whom she'll remember always
As he who made her tremble with first orgasm
She gets to fuck me! The Son of God!
A fantasy she has for pain I inflict
My hands slide up her breasts so slowly
And constrict around her neck tightly...

Cartilage and veins popping, her expression is delight
As I climax, my thorny crown drops upon her bloated face

Lovely, eh?

Phoenix, Arizona's best.
:)

You're right. Metal should only be restricted to specific topics, like beer, Satan, how metal you are, growing your hair, and hating your parents. Am I right?

anonymousnick2001 said:
You're right. Metal should only be restricted to specific topics, like beer, Satan, how metal you are, growing your hair, and hating your parents. Am I right?
It should not necessarily be restricted to those topics, but topics such as girls, relationships, love, harmony, happiness, pro-Christianity, etc. have no place in metal.

Metal tends to be very romantic, idealistic, intense and passionate to start out with both sonically and thematically. There is no reason why the transition can't be sucesfuly made from love of nature to love of another human being, or conversely from hatred of a religion that decieved you to hatred of a human being who decieved you. It makes no sense to thematically limit metal like that.

Whether you like it or not relationships, bring out things in a person that they never thought were there, thus there is a ton of stuff that can be covered in this area. However since they have been done for so long for that reason it takes a lot of effort from the artist to portray the feelings in an original yet subtle way to avoid the simple cliches associated with the territory.

In this way, bands like Opeth excell at writing lyrics about relationships because of interesting concepts that are subtle enough to be open to interpretation and are relatable to the audience. But most of the time, bands don't do it right and the result is cliche and boring.

Gore lyrics are much the same, they can be completely mindless offering nothing new(on occassion their amusing) or they can be backed up by an interesting concept that actually uses the subject matter in a worthwhile manner.

crimsonfloyd said:
Edit: I should clarify that in general lyrics about love/relationships are horrible. Bands that sing about groupies, parties etc are even worse. I'd like to hear someone write a really intense song about sex from it's most primal level. Don't make it pretty, don't make it slick, just make it full of primal lust and desire
http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/bathory/thereturn.html#5

In Flames tried doing it with "Morphing into Primal" but those lyrics totally make me cringe. At least Bathory's all in good fun, or something

Other than that, to go back to the original topic, I'm sort of with the above two posters... Love is a very strong feeling and as that it a big part of what Heavy Metal is about, it can work, you just need to know what the fuck you're doing, because otherwise you end up being Henrik Forss on "Subterranean."

Hey, I like that song, JP!

Besides, the notion that metal can't be about positivity and happiness(as well as religious themes...for the last time, religious doesn't mean preachy) is severely limiting a theoretically limitless style of music.

^bah, if it wasn't for the only music, metal would absolutely suck. C'mon... at least mainsteam lyrics are more mature than this satanic/pagan über alles/gore to the core crap...