Lyrics on Deliverance

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
Last night was the first time I actaully read the lyrics in Deliverance and although parts are pretty powerful they don't seem to make a lot of sense. Am I missing the point? Do any of the songs actually tell a story?
And if so do Deliverance and Damnation have any sorrt of common thread running through them?

i think mikael akerfeldt is the best lyricist at confusing his audience. i think they do have meaning but are very difficult to interpret. it seems as if you can decipher maybe two or four lines and then the next lines contradict obviously but not when you know exactly what is meant. so you might find the meaning of the song in a couple lines and then a couple other lines seem to throw you off, but really there is a correllation that you just cant find or understand. it seems like almost all of their lyrics do this. ill think i understand and then ill read something and think "well. hell i dont know." but to answer your question it might not be a story but maybe a feeling about oneself or the way one sees others. i can just say maybe read the interviews and look into it as much as you can. its not supposed to be easy or else you'd be listening to lincoln park.

I think the lyrics on Deliverance are sort of meaningless. Meant to convey moods and emotions...without the whole 'telling a story' thing of MAYH or Still Life going on at all. The same can be said for Damnation. Not BWP though, as I feel the lyrics on that album have a sort of 'focused' and 'unified' feeling that is lacking on Deliverance and Damnation. Mikael penned the lyrics for those albums rather quickly, and I think that they pretty weak in places. Instead they convey imagery (although not similar imagery to the Orchid and Morningrise kind of yore), and capture emotions.

Mikael had to write the lyrics for the two albums while recording. You can read about it in the Session Diary for Deliverance. He also said that after his grandmother died, the lyrics took on a new meaning for him.

So in any case, they aren't really top notch. He didn't have enough time to write them.

blackroseimmortal1981 said:
i think mikael akerfeldt is the best lyricist at confusing his audience. i think they do have meaning but are very difficult to interpret. it seems as if you can decipher maybe two or four lines and then the next lines contradict obviously but not when you know exactly what is meant. so you might find the meaning of the song in a couple lines and then a couple other lines seem to throw you off, but really there is a correllation that you just cant find or understand. it seems like almost all of their lyrics do this. ill think i understand and then ill read something and think "well. hell i dont know." but to answer your question it might not be a story but maybe a feeling about oneself or the way one sees others. i can just say maybe read the interviews and look into it as much as you can. its not supposed to be easy or else you'd be listening to lincoln park.

haha why are you defending something you dont understand?

illbeleavinnow said:
Go to www.opeth.com and click on Discography, Deliverance, then Session Diary.

As far as interviews go I don't know. Why'd you ask?
Just interested. I dont really buy music mags like Kerrang and Metal Hammer as they are full of shite American "punk" bands like Green Day and Bowling For Soup - fucking pish basically. So I havent really seen any interviews with Opeth, but I'd like to!

Well, you can usually search for them online. There was one on this board which was possibly the best interview with Opeth I've seen, and is the most recent. More are to come May 16th at the NE Metal and Hardcore Festival. I know that because I e-mailed their manager and he said that I couldn't interview Opeth cuz they were booked. :) Actually why am I smiling I almost cried myself to sleep taht night....

I'll update this thread in a sec once I find teh link to that interview.

Peace,
Dan.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=87170&highlight=interview+black+metal