Machine Men have disbanded

Gammaween

Apr 3, 2009
Finnish melodic metallers MACHINE MEN have issued the following update:

"Things have been quiet for the past two years. During this time we have gone through many changes and we have been thinking about the future of the band. Unfortunately, we feel that the challenges as a band would be too hard to overcome. After long conversations we have decided that the story of MACHINE MEN ends here. It's better to end what we started together without bitterness than to make a new album we couldn't put our hearts and souls into. We wouldn't be the five guys that stuck together no matter what. We would be something else, not MACHINE MEN.

"This band has been the centre of our lives for over a decade. During these years we have experienced great and unforgettable moments on the road (and off).

"The thanks goes to all the people who have supported us and have come to see our gigs. It hasn't been an easy ride but yet we have taken all the shit with our heads held high. After all, we are from Suolahti, for fuck's sake!

"Even though it's sad, we end this with smiles on our faces and with loads of good memories to share over a pint.

"The story of the band ends here but we'll continue to make music as individuals.

"We are grateful to so many people but most of all we would like to thank our fans - without you we would have been nothing!"
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=154613

Another band that showed great promise in their last release decide to call it quits. I respect them for not putting out a record that they could not fully support in their hearts. I hope that they all continue on and bring something into the metal scene for all the fans out there.

I was waiting for this announcement. They pretty much have been in limbo. So many bands have lots of potential but then vanish. I am sure various members will pop up with new bands soon enough.

The silver lining is that the musicians will continue to grow and get better, but in new bands. Almost every awesome band that exists today emerged out of the breakup of other bands. Creative destruction.

A couple of weeks ago I was giving some attention to some older albums I've neglected or never spent enough time with, Scars & Wounds was one of them. I really enjoyed it for a couple of listening sessions.

Just last night I was going thru one of my metal lists and noticed I had them on there with a note to pick up the rest of their albums eventually.

Bummer to hear the news...

The silver lining is that the musicians will continue to grow and get better, but in new bands. Almost every awesome band that exists today emerged out of the breakup of other bands. Creative destruction.

While that is a fair and positive assessment to a negative situation, unfortunately that rule only applies to really young musicians. I'm not sure how well Machine Men did, but I'm not sure if their US license deal they had with Century Media helped them over here and I'd assume they weren't doing well with Spinefarm worldwide because they were without a label before breaking up. It's going to be nearly impossible to convince any one to invest in new projects when the original band wasn't that successful to beginwith. Unfortunately this means that if we do see new bands, they will probably be home-brewed stuff for fun with no real budget, etc. While there's nothing wrong with that at at all, and surely not every musical outing has to be "professional," I wouldn't expect any sort of success to come from the ensuing bands.

It's a shitty deal to see all these bands break up, but honestly it's also making me happy to see it. Not because I think the bands that are calling it a day suck or anything-- quite the contrary, I liked Machine Men alot, "Frames" by Oceansize was one of my favorite albums of 2007, and hearing that Sleepytime Gorilla Museum called it a day almost brought a tear to my eye seeing one of the most innovative musical projects to grace my ears unfortunately hangit up--but, it does mean that something had to give in the music-industrial economy we're living in right now and the overflow of bands that don't really tour or sell records anymore is starting to subside. While it would mean less "professional" bands, it would also mean less product being released which would mean sales would be a bit more focused. In my humble opinion, we really need more bands that open at 10,000+ units in order for the industry to keep healthy--even if that would have to mean less bands in the pool.

This sucks big time imo. I really enjoy(ed) their music. Like the previous posts mention- members will go on to create great music in other bands, hopefully.

They were one of the victims of the Earthshaker Roadshock clusterfuck a couple of years back. Never really recovered from that.

It's going to be nearly impossible to convince any one to invest in new projects when the original band wasn't that successful to beginwith.

That just means the Machine Men legacy isn't enough to get any of these guys contracts on that basis alone, unlike a band like Symfonia or FullForce where the big names in the band attract a lot of interest right away. But I suspect we'll see most of these guys in other bands in the near future. Metal fans never give up on their favorites.

It's going to be nearly impossible to convince any one to invest in new projects when the original band wasn't that successful to beginwith.

That just means the Machine Men legacy isn't enough to get any of these guys contracts on that basis alone, unlike a band like Symfonia or FullForce where the big names in the band attract a lot of interest right away. But I suspect we'll see most of these guys in other bands in the near future. Metal fans never give up on their favorites.

Yeah but honestly, if Symfonia or Fullforce don't tour they probably won't last long either. Symfonia I am sure will do decent in Finland and Scandinavia but I really doubt worldwide numbers for either band are going to be all that great on the virtue of their music. And while it's true that metal fans are loyal, if not that many people bought Machine Men there might not be enough loyal supporters to justify the guys to put time and effort into a project that nobody will buy, listen to etc. Just playing devil's advocate anyways. I could be totally wrong too.

They were one of the victims of the Earthshaker Roadshock clusterfuck a couple of years back. Never really recovered from that.

I doubt they actually paid for the costs for that tour with their own money. Alot of the bands on that tour were Spinefarm bands as it is (like Finntroll, the headliner I believe) so I am sure that Spinefarm paid a large portion of tour support for these bands so it's not as though Machine Men went into debt or anything. It is possible though that they may not have been able to recoup the losses that the label spent on that tour though.

Oh FAWK! I really loved that band was was so hoping they'd come to ProgPower. Another dream dashed.