Main differences between MAC vs PC

I just recently got myself a mac book pro and I'm sooooooo happy now. This was my first mac ever and as a diehard PC user I had some doubts about it at first... If you will be using pro tools, get a mac...

nuclearass said:
I just recently got myself a mac book pro and I'm sooooooo happy now. This was my first mac ever and as a diehard PC user I had some doubts about it at first... If you will be using pro tools, get a mac...

Or logic (funnily enough)

JBroll said:
And please, people - stop making the mistake of equating Window$ with PC and their problems with each other. If you're going to try and compare them so we can have the final word on which does what, put them on common ground - as has been said, Mac OS X is based on UNIX (you know, one of those operating systems that actually fucking work) and Window$ relies on lonely tech support wankers who dream that someday the girl of their dreams will have a shared memory error and they'll fall in love and live happily ever after. Put them on fair ground, with a good Linux distro on both of them, and try doing things that way. That might actually get somewhere other than 'My PC PPPWNZ@rZ Y00'.
This is all true - most PC's are going to be as stable as a Mac if you put a good Linux distro on it. And if you ran Windows on a PPC box, it'd be just as unstable as with any other processor. I was just speaking from the typical PC = Windows and Mac = OSX simply because that's what the vast majority of people recognize and use. As far as 64 bit goes, yeah AMD's got that market controlled pretty well at least for the moment, but since we are in a recording forum, I figure you might as well just talk about what your average home studio consumer and your pro studios are typically going to use, which at the moment are your G4/G5's, Intel Dual-Core, AMD 32bit chips, and probably P4's, unless I'm horribly mistaken.

Zombietakeover said:
cool cause i just dropped a grand on a new PC......and then i read all this shit....scared me there.....i mean i know a mac is more superior in the media side.....I'm just scared of it.....i dont know anything about it

I use a PC for ProTools, no problems ever. HOWEVER!!! - I DO NOT use it for anything other than ProTools, no games, no word processing, and particularily no internet surfing (it has internet access to get to iLok, and a few other sites that are needed for software updates).

As long as you keep your PC clean it can serve you just fine.

So far, I've been able to record 11 tracks at a time with the PC without any problems. I haven't had the need to record more than that at one time yet.

These arguments are so ridiculous.
I'm not anti-Mac in any way, but to the people who try to paint a picture that a PC isn't adequate for audio....that's just silly.
There are bad-ass Macs, and bad-ass pc's. Just like there are shit ones too.
I have a 2.8 GHz Pentium D at home and I have recorded 16 simultaneous tracks with no problems, mixed with nearly 60 tracks loaded with plugins with no adjustment to my latency or buffer size and still had not a single problem. That machine has never crashed on me once. Of course my computer is audio only...no other bullshit on that machine and it's customized just for the job. Does that mean that every PC can do that, of course not. I've used PC's before that were junk...I've also used junk Mac's too. That didn't make me decide that they were all shitty and inadequate.

There is also a world outside of audio, and there are certainly instances where a PC is the only option. In my profession I use 3D design software which is PC only. The last time I mentioned that, somebody told me to go buy some half assed cad software for a MAC instead....it doesn't work that way. :lol: It is an industry standard which I have to use for compatibility with our customers.

It really does boil down to whatever you're comfortable with.

i would have to agree that macs just work...when you get them working. but i have two pcs at home one for my studio and one for internet and fun...i never...ever, ever, ever, connect my studio pc to the internet and i have no problems

It doesn't matter which is better. I will say my mac 1.5 ghz (solo) 1256gig RAM machine out performes my bros 3.2ghz (solo) 2gig RAM machine. Thats enough for me to like them. Ultimately you can argue all day about the reasons macs don't get viruses, and it won't change the fact THAT THEY DON'T GET VIRUSES. Seriously that argument is stupid and doesn't change that THEY DO NOT GET VIRUSES. I have had mine for a year, no glitches no viruses. I have had a total of 3 cubase crashes, and never have I ever seen a "blue screen of death" in fact what is that and what does it even look like?

everybody's x said:
Hey, JBroll
I have an unbuntu distro I'm going to put on my laptop. It looks pretty promising. The command line stuff strikes me as a PITA but it seems to have come a long way since the first red hat stuff.

If you don't want to learn console stuff, it's a matter of copy and paste because it's such a popular distribution that 99% of issues will have been resolved ten times over. Ubuntu is great because (being a live CD) you can try it before the install (although with slightly limited functionality and speed due to RAM limitations) and it'll take care of partitions really well if you know what to do on it.

Jeff

one of the key differences is the kernel management between the two operating systems, the MAC has the Unix kernel which has better thread management, and provides better stability.

earlier versions of windows, if one thread went down the kernel did and the "blue screen of death" appeared, thats been refined in later releases.

64-bit windows tend to run better than 32-bit.

it's what works for you...

lol this one is just like opening pandoras box!??!?!?!

I'm a pc guy, originaly because i couldn't afford a mac. I've had a few problems along the way but, after putting a few hours in to reaserching chipsets etc i have a flawless system.... it never crashes, thats a lie but i do recon it's crashed say 5 times since feb... and that is not bad..... i use it daily in the studio and it delivers. i do look after it tho, format the system drive every couple of months... no internet.... in fact, it just has protools7 mpt, wavelab and cubase sx3, the drivers and the pluggins...

the only experiance i have with using a mac is some work i did for a mate at uni, he was doing some sfx for film and we were overdubbing things like walking on stone etc (think it was called foli) anyways the mac did fall over several times and we did loose work a couple of time "MAC S" became my best friend! I'd probably put this down to the computer not being looked after...

i have never owned a mac but later this year i am hoping to get a mac mini to have as a home pc, thought i'd give it a go so i guess i'll know better then

basicaly it's my thoughts that if you look after what you use and use it only for the purpose its for (not for EVERYTHING) then you'll get on fine....

having said that ..... you can now duel boot the intel macs with mac os and xp which in time (when it's bugs are ironed out) may just give mac the edge.

also it is narc-ing me that duende and liquidmix have not brought out pc drivers yet..... esp as they work on intel macs!

C

I'm not going to debate whether or not it's possible to work with audio on a PC. But, I do think that it's ridiculous to say that Macs are merely an image thing. Image was the last thing on my mind when I decided to throw down a bunch of money on a G4 and introduce myself to the Mac world. Audio professionals are concerned about the means necessary to most efficiently do their work, not about what someone else might think of them based off of which computer they choose. With that in mind, I think that the fact that Macs are the choice platform of audio professionals goes a long ways towards showing that Macs are better suited for the job. How can anyone deny that testimony? I don't know much about things like operating system source codes, and I'm not really all that concerned about trying to understand why exactly Macs are better for audio. All I know is that there's a lot of extremely compelling evidence out there in favor of Macs, and more than enough bad stories about PCs and audio, to swing me far towards the Mac side. I truly have yet to hear a story about a Mac that did an atrocious job of handling something that it was supposed to be capable of handling.

I have a Mac PPC 9600/350 running PT24+++, a Win 98SE PC is no match for that rig. I had a G4MDD running OSX2.8 and it SUCKED compared to my current 1.7 Ghz mobile pentium rig (which will be replaced by a quad-core pc btw).

Windows had its issues, Apple had. What I dislike about Apple is their tendency to deny their shit and brag about their decoration. OSX.4 runs stable now, but 2.8 had me frustrated for almost a year until I switched to WinXP, at that time a lot of macusers did. I ran Logic audio on a dual G4, it crashed several times a day, running very slow, turned out to be a softwareproblem, Logic wasn't OSX-native.

Logic is owned by Apple, and Apple's plan to develop iTunes, iMovie, iWank and iWhatever instead of solving Logic's long list of bugs made me loose faith. Yes, PT runs great, it better. It also runs great on my pc. And it runs like a dream on my old and trusty 9600. Those machines I consider Apples, the G5's nowadays are totally Intel inside, you can run Windows on it, it's only a matter of the operating system vs. the software.

So my experience is that Apples can run very good, if Steve Jobs allows them to. If he has other priorities, you're screwed. And if those priorities involve eldery folks editing and burning dvd's of their grandchildren's movies I guess I'm not the target audience anymore.

(Oh, never had a virus btw.)

I use a pc. I do however know how to setup my pc(I ordered the parts seperately and put it together myself) and my pc haven't crashed ONE time in 2006.... I can't remember it crashing in 2005 either, which was when I got it.
My friend uses a Mac G5 and it hasn't crashed either.
What's the point? If you know what you're doing, you can work with allmost anything.