Males and Females

Gotta say life is good and things are going well with my girlfriend, seems so far that I've got myself someone who isn't absolutely genuinely insane.

So now all the time Laura posts all these stories about her flirting with men they will end up actually fucking, now.

Commitment phobia kicking in?

Yes it is, and with it here's my experience of the day...

My girlfriend and I are just shy of 2 months, now, during the whole of which she has never been comfortable using even the terms "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" or "dating" or "couple" and only sparingly uses "relationship." This confused me because we've gotten to a pretty significant level, such as saying that we love each other, having sex, and the like. But she's reluctant to tell ANYONE that we're "together" and will do nothing beyond hug me when we're in public. Now I'm fine that we don't do PDA but for a while that's disturbed me, like she's ashamed to be thought of as being with me and that she's primed to pull out of the relationship at any moment.

Well today we had a big talk about it and she says it's because she's "not ready to be that serious" with me and, which I've known, she's afraid of commitment and doesn't like the idea of being labelled as someone's girlfriend since that attaches too many strings and she really likes to flirt with other guys (I'm actually comfortable with this since I trust her).

She said later on that she has not ruled out getting more serious with me in future, and at the moment she "doesn't want to lose" me. So now I don't have to fear a break-up as much as I used to, and I feel actually kind of liberated since I now don't have to spend as much money and effort doing traditional boyfriend stuff.

Last word on this is that one of the main reasons we're not as serious is because her emotional needs are generally not satisfied by me, but by God. Now that seems silly on the surface, but the fact of the matter is that her belief is so strong that it has made her an immensely positive, happy, secure and self-sufficient person (believing that strongly that everything has purpose and meaning goes a long, long way). I'm not religious or even a believer but we do connect, since she loves my philosopher's perspective. If you're confused as to why we're together it's because she has a bad history with religious guys.

CLIFFS: Girlfriend doesn't want a serious committed relationship right now. Still loves me. Everything is fine.

@Laura: I'm sorry to hear that. Obviously the next couple weeks/months will be shitty but I hope you both land on your feet.

My girlfriend and I are just shy of 2 months...saying that we love each other
I'm not exactly great at this stuff but that strikes me as a bit quick. That might be part of it - she feels things are going fast and that's scary.