Males and Females

My girlfriend and I decided to cut-off the relationship. Now that she's graduated, neither of us are interested in trying to keep it together from 300 miles away. Surprisingly, she prompted it, but I had been debating doing the same. It's a bit of a shame because she was my first partner in a real relationship, but oh well. Time to do whatever.

Are you gonna get right back into the thick of things and brush up on your game, or just take a while to play video games and music and stuff?

Are you gonna get right back into the thick of things and brush up on your game, or just take a while to play video games and music and stuff?

It would probably be a good idea for me to jump back on it. I was single for like 5 years before I started dating her. Being single has its benefits, but being single for a long time throws of relationship posturing. I would like to avoid the silly mistakes I made in this relationship.

So, as I had the feeling of, she had somebody lined up. Some guy who just graduated with a masters in psychiatry (barf). She wants babies soon, so I can't really hold it against her. If anything, it kind of makes me feel like a piece of shit: I'm 21, three years away from my bachelor's, at least 5 years from my masters, and I have a bunch of obstacles to jump along the way if I want to make it.

Anyways, there's my brief venting. I don't really feel like a piece of shit. I'm doing the right things. That's just life.

So, as I had the feeling of, she had somebody lined up. Some guy who just graduated with a masters in psychiatry (barf). She wants babies soon, so I can't really hold it against her. If anything, it kind of makes me feel like a piece of shit: I'm 21, three years away from my bachelor's, at least 5 years from my masters, and I have a bunch of obstacles to jump along the way if I want to make it.

Hey, nothing wrong with Psychiatry :p. That out of the way, it sounds like she wanted to hit fastforward on the family ideal. Can't really get upset about it: Your values and time preferences weren't aligned. Cutting it off now rather than failure later is for the better.

You should develop a British accent, that would help with kurvas.

Ha, unfortunately my Southern Maryland comes out when I drink. And isn't drink the first line of help with kurvas? ;)

Hey, nothing wrong with Psychiatry :p. That out of the way, it sounds like she wanted to hit fastforward on the family ideal. Can't really get upset about it: Your values and time preferences weren't aligned. Cutting it off now rather than failure later is for the better.

Your convictions on Psychiatry may differ if you worked in a pharmacy :p From what I understand, a good portion of the field has turned into a pseudo-neurological pharmaceutical study.

Pretty much. That and we both saw it the end as inevitable, as much as we tried to ignore it. It was probably silly for us two to have let our guards down in the fashion we did, but I can't say that I regret it. If she hadn't been texting me the past couple of days about how she missed me, which, of course, caused me to miss her, I probably wouldn't have been prompted to post the follow up.

Your convictions on Psychiatry may differ if you worked in a pharmacy :p From what I understand, a good portion of the field has turned into a pseudo-neurological pharmaceutical study.

Oh I agree it's turned into(or maybe has primarily always been) a pillpushing hack field like the rest of healthcare. That doesn't mean it's bad at it's core, merely misguided. Half the pillpushing is consumer demand. People don't want to fix the cause, only the effect. Digging into issues is difficult and painful. Changing behavior most certainly is.

Pretty much. That and we both saw it the end as inevitable, as much as we tried to ignore it. It was probably silly for us two to have let our guards down in the fashion we did, but I can't say that I regret it. If she hadn't been texting me the past couple of days about how she missed me, which, of course, caused me to miss her, I probably wouldn't have been prompted to post the follow up.

Sounds like a particular relationship my brother had/has. He knew/knows it will never work out, but they still stay in some level of touch despite distance, several years removed from their breakup. The power of the vag man. Freud might have a little insight.

Oh I agree it's turned into(or maybe has primarily always been) a pillpushing hack field like the rest of healthcare. That doesn't mean it's bad at it's core, merely misguided. Half the pillpushing is consumer demand. People don't want to fix the cause, only the effect. Digging into issues is difficult and painful. Changing behavior most certainly is.

I hate to respond with an anecdote, but you may get a kick out of this. A while back, this lady came to the pharmacy to drop of a prescription. I started a chat with her and we ended up on the topic of a doctor's role. I was alluding to the fact that people were beginning to look at doctors in general as pill pushers, though discreetly enough that it wouldn't be noticed by anyone of whom it was directed at. She responded with something along the the lines of: I went to a new physician today and I didn't really like them very much. They spent most of the appointment asking, not just about how I was physically, but also of how my life was. That's weird. I just want my medicine and all he would write me is this: *Non-psychotropic prescription*

McDonaldization, eh?

Sounds like a particular relationship my brother had/has. He knew/knows it will never work out, but they still stay in some level of touch despite distance, several years removed from their breakup. The power of the vag man. Freud might have a little insight.

I hope that is not my case on the long-term scale, though it certainly will be on the short-term. I actually had the opportunity to tell her to refrain from talking to me, but I couldn't. It, instead, turned into her filling me in on college stuff (and possibly prego stuff, come the next few months). I've delayed reading any of Freud's serious works for lack of time. I've read an aesthetic work by him and it was superb.

I hate to respond with an anecdote, but you may get a kick out of this. A while back, this lady came to the pharmacy to drop of a prescription. I started a chat with her and we ended up on the topic of a doctor's role. I was alluding to the fact that people were beginning to look at doctors in general as pill pushers, though discreetly enough that it wouldn't be noticed by anyone of whom it was directed at. She responded with something along the the lines of: I went to a new physician today and I didn't really like them very much. They spent most of the appointment asking, not just about how I was physically, but also of how my life was. That's weird. I just want my medicine and all he would write me is this: *Non-psychotropic prescription*

McDonaldization, eh?

Pretty much. There's nothing special about doctors compared to anyone else: most of them suck at what they do, not even necessarily for any reasons other than a pisspoor direction in education and an unwillingness to question. Self-nonage afflicts people in all walks.

I hope that is not my case on the long-term scale, though it certainly will be on the short-term. I actually had the opportunity to tell her to refrain from talking to me, but I couldn't. It, instead, turned into her filling me in on college stuff (and possibly prego stuff, come the next few months). I've delayed reading any of Freud's serious works for lack of time. I've read an aesthetic work by him and it was superb.

I haven't looked at Freud recently but I wasn't generally impressed years ago, and that's coming from someone with what I imagine is an above average sexual drive. That said, I do think sexuality, as it pertains to biology, still plays as significant a part as biology can. I do wonder if those [sexual] relationships which sync on a more primal/intimate level but not on other levels are not a victim of culture. Then again, did some level of culture cause that initial sync? The appeal of the ultimately unattainable/irreconcilably different. The questions which intrigue a psychologist :cool:.

Then again, did some level of culture cause that initial sync? The appeal of the ultimately unattainable/irreconcilably different. The questions which intrigue a psychologist :cool:.

According to data found by the human genome project, human evolution has sped up in the past 12000 years and part of it is because more people = more genetic diversity, but also because the culture in civilizations created new natural selection dynamics.

I speculate that this created a new type of human that is more empathetic and learns better from direction, but is less intelligent, not autonomous, and is worse at figuring things out for itself. I think that groups with a majority of this type of human would survive way better, especially on the scale of civilization, because autonomous humans that figured things out for themselves (which is how our species started out, since the rest of primates only think for themselves) would argue too much to create a stable group. I think certain things classified as disorders and certain personality types are actually just dispositions of the type of human that existed before the tendency for mindlessness was an evolutionary necessity.

I'm of the position that evolutionary psychology is the most relevant kind. I think other kinds can be useful, but for leaving out the reason why we develop our characteristics, are ultimately worse than evolutionary psychology.

I hate to respond with an anecdote, but you may get a kick out of this. A while back, this lady came to the pharmacy to drop of a prescription. I started a chat with her and we ended up on the topic of a doctor's role. I was alluding to the fact that people were beginning to look at doctors in general as pill pushers, though discreetly enough that it wouldn't be noticed by anyone of whom it was directed at. She responded with something along the the lines of: I went to a new physician today and I didn't really like them very much. They spent most of the appointment asking, not just about how I was physically, but also of how my life was. That's weird. I just want my medicine and all he would write me is this: *Non-psychotropic prescription

What. the. fuck. I don't even...

I feel like I have the only doctor left in the world whose office is full of yoga information, breathing and meditation exercises, and pamphlets encouraging a balanced diet and regular exercise.

Spending the weekend with a bipolar kid who is prescribed Xanax, Lamictal and Adderall and routinely overdoses all of them and tweaks out really cemented how fucked the pharm/Rx complex is.

Fucking hell this whole juggallo thing is fucking terrible. Luckily we don't have any in here. The top comments below this terrible fucking song sum it up nicely:

juggallo%20comments.png