Males and Females

Not all people fit neatly into some kind of gender binary where those terms work

Explain to me how the people in question don't fit with those terms, plz.

Not denying that KingDick is a huge fag though.

Explain to me how the people in question don't fit with those terms, plz.

Not denying that KingDick is a huge fag though.

The people in question (Jeremy and his partner) probably do - but I wasn't addressing them specifically. I'm referring to Rick's insistence on only needing boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife and that all other terms are useless and somehow "pretentious."

They usually are useless. I prefer to say partner, but I've never heard of any transgendered person getting mad because someone says boyfriend or girlfriend. In my experience, they usually don't give a shit. I've heard much more shit about it from people getting offended on transgendered people's behalf.

The people in question (Jeremy and his partner) probably do - but I wasn't addressing them specifically. I'm referring to Rick's insistence on only needing boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife and that all other terms are useless and somehow "pretentious."

Ok, I'm on your side then. I just like to point out when people are just being pretentious ;)

I think that we should have a vote on who is more pretentious between Zeph and Mort. I'm honestly not sure at this point.

They usually are useless. I prefer to say partner, but I've never heard of any transgendered person getting mad because someone says boyfriend or girlfriend. In my experience, they usually don't give a shit. I've heard much more shit about it from people getting offended on transgendered people's behalf.

Transfolk are still men and women so I don't see why the terms would offend them specifically - and really I don't know why it would offend anyone. I'm just saying it is incomplete because of genderqueer and agender people.

Seriously, mort, you're a straight white guy in America. Embrace it. No need to go getting butthurt about a million things that don't pertain to you.

Okay, so there's this girl who works at the same company I do and apparently she's been into me for a while. Two problems with this:

1) She's married
2) She has children

This is going to be the short form of the story:

Apparently, her marriage hasn't been going well for a while and she's been texting me a lot over the past 6-8 weeks (surprise, surprise). Well, I told her I had feelings for her too, but I was reluctant to do anything given her situation. I implied I would, but I never said yes or no (my fault).

So, she texts me a question about if I would have a problem dating a woman with kids. I told her I would not like to do that. She gets defensive and thinks I'm an asshole. She sleeps on it and says she's sorry and she understands my decision, but still would make out with me or whatever if she had the opportunity.

This goes on for a few more days when, on Friday, I told her that I flat out would not reciprocate if she tried anything because I would feel guilty and I'm not THAT much of a dick. She said 'I can get why you're being reluctant. I'll just stop with it all'.

So, I'm out with a friend tonight and she texts:

"I'm not sure what to say to you if anything at all. I mean I see your point on all this whole thing but I can also tell you really don't care (errors not omitted)"

Really? REALLY?! You said you were going to stop with it and I thought that was the end of it. What does she want me to say?

So, I continued and said that I wasn't really sure what to say. She said I was being an ass and then I said:

"I don't understand how I'm being an ass. I'm just being upfront with you because lying doesn't get people anything"

Then she said that she doesn't want me to lie, but I act like nothing happened.

Well, I have no idea how to act because bringing it up would just fan the flames and not bringing it up seems like the most logical choice to have things calm down.

I don't know. I don't need fucking drama in my life

Seriously, mort, you're a straight white guy in America. Embrace it. No need to go getting butthurt about a million things that don't pertain to you.

I'm not exactly so far removed from this specific thing. While I do typically use the term girlfriend and the pronoun she to refer to my romantic partner - a desire to switch away from those have been mutually recognized due to my partner identifying as agender.

Partner is basically decided upon as the desired description for each other in the context of the relationship, but the pronoun usage isn't quite figured out and feminine ones might be stuck with anyways because of how awkward and impersonal things like they or ze can be.

Transfolk are still men and women so I don't see why the terms would offend them specifically - and really I don't know why it would offend anyone. I'm just saying it is incomplete because of genderqueer and agender people.

I'm saying that doesn't matter because those people tend to not care and will just use the term partner when the time comes. We're all straight here. We don't need to use a term that caters to a demographic that isn't even involved in the discussion.

Holy smokes. Mort is the overlord of all things politically correct. Give us a fucking break already.

This isn't even a PC thing. This is a Rick is being a jackass about someone choosing to use a term such as partner. This is about there being no reason to give someone grief for using a term outside of girlfriend/boyfriend.