Man, fuck Roadrunner

FRUGiHOYi

"Since 1981"
Jul 11, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just got a sampler CD and Ghost of Perdition is in it, but it's edited down to 6:45. As if the Grand Conjuration video wasn't enough... how is someone supposed to "sample" Opeth's music when they butcher the hell out of it? If they have a problem with long songs, they shouldn't have signed Opeth.

FRUGiHOYi said:
I just got a sampler CD and Ghost of Perdition is in it, but it's edited down to 6:45. As if the Grand Conjuration video wasn't enough... how is someone supposed to "sample" Opeth's music when they butcher the hell out of it? If they have a problem with long songs, they shouldn't have signed Opeth.

6:45 IS a long song.

I cant really see what they would have cut out, except the very end. Unlike TGC , which is very repetitive so easily cut down.

BRI said:
I cant really see what they would have cut out, except the very end. Unlike TGC , which is very repetitive so easily cut down.

I do think they needlessly cut out some lines from TGC that couldve been left in there making teh video edit only like...10 seconds longer but now having basically all the lyrical content.

And I'm kinda with NFU. Seriously, what did you expect on a sampler? they want to have enough time left on the disc to promote other bands on their label, so why would they cram in a full 10-11 minute song?

Necromantic-Hiko said:
I do think they needlessly cut out some lines from TGC that couldve been left in there making teh video edit only like...10 seconds longer but now having basically all the lyrical content.

And I'm kinda with NFU. Seriously, what did you expect on a sampler? they want to have enough time left on the disc to promote other bands on their label, so why would they cram in a full 10-11 minute song?
To give the listener a proper idea of what Opeth is about?

The Drapery Falls (Edit) I found on Kerrang's issue 844 CD freebie is the best CD I ever bought, the song that introduced me to Opeths Genius. :D

The edit fades out during the twin guitars before leading to Mike's first death growls on this song...

I was quite suprised by this vocal style when I bought Blackwater Park as this was the CD "The Drapery Falls" hails from as you all know. :D

Wonderful stuff.

dcat said:
The edit fades out during the twin guitars before leading to Mike's first death growls on this song...

thats the best part of the whole track though :erk:

I'm just interested in what whoever edited it thought was not as important. I have the edited TGC and I just think it's interesting to hear. I couldn't care less that RR is releasing edited stuff. It happens. It reminds me of when they make a movie of a great book. The movie doesn't change the fact that the book still exists. The edited version of GoP doesn't alter the album version.