maple vs rosewood

Oct 2, 2004
which one do u guys think is better?ive heard rosewood is bad because you'll go out of tune alot!what do u guys think? :confused:

mine's maple with rosewood thing on top, rosewood finish maybe?....slightly too drunk to explain properlyy....ummmm

http://www.patrickeggle.com/berlinpro22-24.html (a pic of my guitar)

anyway it sounds lovely...and i have no idea why a different wood would make it go out of tune more...doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense to me im afraid...

I've never heard of the type of wood anywhere on the guitar interfering with tuning problems. Mainly the differences will be in feel with some slight differences in tone. I believe that both maple and ebony fingerboards will give a slightly brighter tone. To me, the differences between all 3 are negligible. I think maple and ebony look the best. I always get jumbo frets too, so maybe if I used smaller frets I'd "feel" the board more and it would make a difference. But I really like all 3. Maple looks the most classy IMO. I think when I am able to get the MII, I'm gonna go for the maple. I really like the way it looks with the black body.

I believe that rosewood going out of tune though is just rubbish.

The only thing I can recall causing problems is ebony over maple because of the density differences. The neck requires a lot of attention to keep adjusted. That effects intonation more than overall tuning.

Maple if you like bright, cutting tone. Rosewood if you want it a little mellower or darker.

The only maple neck I've owned was on my old telecaster. I loved the guitar as a whole. The neck felt great. It was thicker than most modern necks. I don't like pencil-neck guitars.

yeah, the rosewood thing going out of tune is kinda bs, reminds me of my friend who has a les paul and had just got a new nylon string and it had a bone nut, so I told my friend that my nut was way better than his and he went to the guitar store to get it replaced, despite it making very little difference(his nut was still good). And I have used the word "nut" in this post more then anyone else, ever.

My ESP M-II has a maple neck. I dunno about a different feel (like satanic rabbit, I use really big frets - dunlop 6100s so my fingers aren't really touching the board too much) but...eh maple looks pretty cool. Also you don't see too many metal guitars with maple fretboards so I like that mine is a little different from the norm.

Mullet Power said:
Some Metal Guitars Do have Maple Fretboards.... I've noticed that many Carvins have them....
Well, on Carvins it has always been the player's option. The maple they use is very nice and you can get Birdseye maple too, which looks really cool with certain colors. When I got mine the only choices were ebony and maple. I never had ebony before, so that's what I got. I like it, but again, cuz of the big frets, the difference in "feel" isn't all that apparent to me. I do like how smooth it looks though.

And about being metal guitars...they used to be very metal indeed, but now they go for the more classy look. Just recently, they have offered the pointy headstock again, as a hidden option. It costs $100 and makes your guitar NON-returnable. That's a pretty big price to pay for a freaking headstock.

the_satanic_rabbit said:
Well, on Carvins it has always been the player's option. The maple they use is very nice and you can get Birdseye maple too, which looks really cool with certain colors. When I got mine the only choices were ebony and maple. I never had ebony before, so that's what I got. I like it, but again, cuz of the big frets, the difference in "feel" isn't all that apparent to me. I do like how smooth it looks though.

And about being metal guitars...they used to be very metal indeed, but now they go for the more classy look. Just recently, they have offered the pointy headstock again, as a hidden option. It costs $100 and makes your guitar NON-returnable. That's a pretty big price to pay for a freaking headstock.
Agreed.... they look quite good, but I still consider them Metal Guitars.....

I'm in Love with tha Model that Tony MacAlpine plays....

www.tonymacalpine.com

It's on his homepage....

Mullet Power said:
Agreed.... they look quite good, but I still consider them Metal Guitars.....

I'm in Love with tha Model that Tony MacAlpine plays....

www.tonymacalpine.com

It's on his homepage....
Wow, that is actually very similar to mine. That's a DC 127 with Floyd and rounded body sides. Mine is a DC127 with fixed bridge. Same white color as that one. He has a pretty fretboard though, mine is ebony. Man, that's the birdseye, looks so great with white and gold hardware. He also has the cream pickups, mine are split, cream and black. I should have gone just black. I was going for a piano look. So I should have got the black pickups and mother of pearl dots or blocks. I still love it though!

Oh, I have a reverse headstock too, he doesn't.
Someone on the Carvin board has an SC90 that looks very similar to Macalpine's DC.

Oh man, thanks a lot now I'm going to be slobbering over Carvins again!:mad:

Must rob bank...must get more Carvins...:loco:

Tone wise..... to be honest, I can tell little difference. I suppose since maple is so hard and it is one piece with the neck, it may resonate slightly better.

Playing wise, I think they are even for shredding. I like maple better for slower leads and bluesy stuff where string bending is used more predominately because the fretboars is "slicker" and I prefer the way the string bends against the wood.

I am probably in the minority here, because I know many guitarists are finicky creatures (as I once was) but I don't think most things about a guitar mean a hill of beans.

What I am trying to say is that if you find a guitar that IS a well made instrument, stays in tune, is comfortable to you and has quality components (bridge, pickups etc.) everything else is simply personal taste.

I have an upper/middle line guitar that is designed for metal and more specifically shredding, (an original Peavey Vandenberg) but my no. 1 player is a cheap Korean made Ibanez more often than not. It has no locking nuts, stock tuners, a standard tremola, basic 22 fret maple fretboard, three pickups (hums with single in middle) and is a pretty "average" guitar at6 best, but I know how to play it. Gibson (just and example) could spend $100,000 on customizing me a guitar and it might take me a year for me to be able to play that guitar as well as I can play that cheap Ibanez because I have been playing it for years and I have conformed to the guitar as well as set the guitar up (pickup height, action etc.) to conform to my tastes. I wouldn't take $500 for the thing.
One thing to realize though when reading this reply though is that I am not a real "shredder" by some people's standards. If I weren't a fan of Romeo, I wouldn't be in this forum, but my style is more similar to classic teutonic style like Wolff Hoffmann, Jabs, Schenker etc.

Bryant

weenur said:
The only maple neck I've owned was on my old telecaster. I loved the guitar as a whole. The neck felt great. It was thicker than most modern necks. I don't like pencil-neck guitars.

Dude you might love some classic Gibson necks. They were never known for the big radius necks. Though I hardly ever play blues and stuff like that, I once had an old Gibson Marauder. The thing weighed about 400 lbs. but it had a super wide neck with a maple fretboard and a fairly thick neck. For the string bending thing, you could bend forever before you even touched another string. I should have never got rid of that guitar.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Dude you might love some classic Gibson necks. They were never known for the big radius necks. Though I hardly ever play blues and stuff like that, I once had an old Gibson Marauder. The thing weighed about 400 lbs. but it had a super wide neck with a maple fretboard and a fairly thick neck. For the string bending thing, you could bend forever before you even touched another string. I should have never got rid of that guitar.

Bryant
I weep everytime I recall my father selling his '65 SG. His complaint: The neck was too thick. :ill: He replaced it with a Moserite, skinny little neck thing. Grrrrr...

If I ever get through a tax year without owing my greedy Uncle Sam, I'm buying a Gibson. OR... I may just build one myself. I played a friend's custom strat with a Warmoth neck. That neck was like holding a half a Louisville slugger. <drool>

I don't really play in a bluesy style. I can, or at least used to be able to, shred on the larger necks. I tend to have a heavy hand, so I have had a problem with thinner necks being unstable. Only my Jackson was really stable for a thin neck. Granted it had 1/4" of ebony over maple. Of course, I haven't played everything, so I can only speak of what I have played. I'm sure that there are many modern guitar necks that are thin and stable. The older Ibanez's(pre-'85 or so) were really nice, too. They mimicked Gibson back then.

i have an ebony board on my esp mirage...i must say that it is easily the smoothest playing board i have ever touched...but then i dont have much else to compare it too. Oh, and the MII's (black with maple) are absolutely orgasmic...so sweet. I do kinda have a thing against rosewood, but probably because my crappy ibanez has a rosewood board. But I'm thinking that if there were anu serious disadvantages MJR wouldn't be using a rosewood boarded MII.

Romeo.jr said:
i have an ebony board on my esp mirage...i must say that it is easily the smoothest playing board i have ever touched...but then i dont have much else to compare it too. Oh, and the MII's (black with maple) are absolutely orgasmic...so sweet. I do kinda have a thing against rosewood, but probably because my crappy ibanez has a rosewood board. But I'm thinking that if there were anu serious disadvantages MJR wouldn't be using a rosewood boarded MII.

What size frets do you use? I use dunlop 6100s and my fingers almost never are touching the fretboard itself.