maple vs rosewood

i know it isnt the 6100...i bought it used...but they look like mediums to me...sucks though, i have to get it either refretted or just get some fret work done...keeps fretting outwhen i lower the action...but i dont usually touch the board either...except if i press too hard on the lower. with the upper frets i stay at least 2mm off the board.

weenur said:
The only thing I can recall causing problems is ebony over maple because of the density differences. The neck requires a lot of attention to keep adjusted. That effects intonation more than overall tuning.

Maple if you like bright, cutting tone. Rosewood if you want it a little mellower or darker.

Could be why i like rosewood ones so much then :D

weenur said:
I weep everytime I recall my father selling his '65 SG. His complaint: The neck was too thick. :ill: He replaced it with a Moserite, skinny little neck thing. Grrrrr...

If I ever get through a tax year without owing my greedy Uncle Sam, I'm buying a Gibson. OR... I may just build one myself. I played a friend's custom strat with a Warmoth neck. That neck was like holding a half a Louisville slugger. <drool>

I don't really play in a bluesy style. I can, or at least used to be able to, shred on the larger necks. I tend to have a heavy hand, so I have had a problem with thinner necks being unstable. Only my Jackson was really stable for a thin neck. Granted it had 1/4" of ebony over maple. Of course, I haven't played everything, so I can only speak of what I have played. I'm sure that there are many modern guitar necks that are thin and stable. The older Ibanez's(pre-'85 or so) were really nice, too. They mimicked Gibson back then.

I have an original Peavey vandenberg (bolt-on neck, not the fancier newer models) and I have owned it for close to 15 years and have NEVER adjusted the truss rod on it. The neck is straight as it can be. I am heavy handed as well, but really more of a heavy on the pick hand than anything else. I'm not necessarily saying try out a Peavey as I am not a brand loyal guy but the neck is super thin on my Vandy, but you would think it was made of titanium.

Bryant