Marriot Hotels ban smoking in all rooms

AngraRULES said:
Is it a sin to steal the Bible from a hotel? :lol:

They won't charge you for that, since the bible isn't the property of the hotel anyway. But from what I've heard, the group called "the Gideons", who put it there don't mind too much if you take it, presumably because that means you will read it, it will change your life, and you will subsequently stop your thieving ways. :D

booB said:
Who are the Gideons? And why don't you ever see them? Are they ninjas?

(thanks, Bill Hicks -- RIP)

Lol, yeah... they're like the guys who leave menus hanging from the handle of your front door... you never see them, but they're always there! o_O

Sumeet said:
Lol, yeah... they're like the guys who leave menus hanging from the handle of your front door... you never see them, but they're always there! o_O

I saw one of them once, here in my apartment building. It's sort of like catching a leprechaun, except that, instead of a pot of gold, they give you a whole stack of menus. True story. :lol:

Yngvai X said:
Well, considering they have all of your billing info, I'd assume they would just check for signs of someone smoking when they clean your room up and send you a bill afterwards.

I hope it works. It just seems that unless the signs are REALLY obvious, the judgement is more subjective and harder to document than whether a lamp was broken or a TV was stolen.

LunaTEKKE said:
I hope it works. It just seems that unless the signs are REALLY obvious, the judgement is more subjective and harder to document than whether a lamp was broken or a TV was stolen.

It's pretty easy to tell whether a room was smoked in or not.

Then again, I hope my clothes, filled with smoke from the parties/venue/etc., don't leave a lingering smoke smell in my room.

I think that if you have a prior smoking reservation at a Marriott property, then they will honor the reservation and not charge you, etc. This question came up with Dragon*Con, too -- a little party we throw for about 30,000 of our closest friends :) -- and the Marriott Marquis informed us that pre-existing reservations for smoking rooms will be honored.

Not that it matters to me; I'm a nonsmoker.

Only about 10% of the rooms at hotels are smoking rooms now anyway -- at least according to Marriott's press-release -- so it's primarily an economic decision.

booB said:
I saw one of them once, here in my apartment building. It's sort of like catching a leprechaun, except that, instead of a pot of gold, they give you a whole stack of menus. True story. :lol:

Heh... I never ran into a menu guy, but this reminds me of the time I stepped outside the local mall, only find some jackass placing ads under people's windshield wiper blades. So just to fuck with him, I walked up close to where he was and stood there menacingly with my arms crossed. He got scared and ran back to his car and drove off. Then, because I just couldn't resist, I took one of the ads he was placing and called the number on it (it was for a tanning salon about 2 miles down the road), demanded to speak with the manager, and said in a very deep, officious voice, that I was from mall security, and that placing ads on cars is strictly prohibited, and if they were found doing it again, they would all be arrested. The woman on the phone was scared shitless and just kept repeating "We no put ads! We no put ads!" Good times... :heh:

Pellaz said:
Sumeet, you rule.

I take back all that trash-talk I was saying on IRC.

Well, almost all.

:heh:

You damn well better!

Heh... well, actually, I probably deserved most of that. :)

But I do still rule! :headbang: