Maryand Deathfest 10

simon, you hate coming to certain parts of Chicago and you want to go there???

I've never avoided a show in Chicago that I wanted to go if it's in a suspicious area. I may have talked how something might be in a bad area but that's it.

Idk though, I would like to go. Plus, I do have a friend that lives in that area.

mfw during Godflesh:

1329003181617245.gif

Seriously, the best band I think I've ever seen live in my entire life - or one of.

Also honestly, and don't get me wrong - I LOVED MDF and probably will go next year - but this fest taught me how important touring/being able to play your instruments is for a band. A good portion (although there were some glaringly awesome exceptions, like Artillery who was awesome) of these "one off" bands that don't play live all that much got beat the fuck off the stage by Suffocation and Napalm Death by a pretty huge margin. Those bands know how to play their instruments, know how to entertain a crowd, and manage to keep relevant after all these years. A funny testament to that is when Frank demanded that the fog machine be turned off during Suffo's set because "we don't need no smoke and mirrors." It's funny because it's true, they don't need to rely on phoney aesthetics (shit, Godflesh delivered imo the best set of the weekend and their video in the background was broken the whole time!), they can deliver the goods with the music alone and I give more credit to that than anything else. It was kind of sad to see bands like Morgoth suck so miserably and look like idiots doing so, but that's what happens when your band is inactive for so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL....

I heard more than one story of fest attendees getting robbed at gunpoint around Baltimore, even during the middle of the day on a busy street.

I'm not going to lie, there were at least several times where I just wanted to pack and amtrack back home because of how sketchy it got.

I bought a Morgoth t-shirt to commemorate their set, but I was a little disappointed as well. For some reason, they didn't come off as heavy really. Disma brought the house down on the same stage at pretty much the same time of day.

...that's what happens when your band is inactive for so long.

Completely exempt from this line of thought is Tsjuder, a band that showed no signs of fatigue from being inactive. True, it was only a few years as opposed to 15 years or so, but still - they were fucking incredible.

SODOMIZING THE LAAAAAMMMMMBBBB! :worship:

What was wrong with Saint Vitus?
Yeah, well, slower doom certainly was made for a bar at 1AM as opposed to an outdoor setting.

Anyone have setlists for Godflesh, Vitus, and Electric Wizard?

I just thought they sounded bad and phoned in the performance. Don't get me wrong, I like their music -- that's why I chose to give them 45 minutes of my time instead of doing one of the million other things available at MDF -- but just wasn't feeling it. I'll be seeing them again this weekend, so maybe it'll be a better set, especially since it IS in a bar at 1am!

Honestly, they were still better than Morbid Angel!

I will say this, they were more animated on stage when I saw them in Kansas City, but they were loud as hell and heavy as shit...I'm SO glad I had earplugs in when they played.

...Anyone have setlists for Godflesh, Vitus, and Electric Wizard?

...What was their setlist like? More newer or older or a mixture of both?

Saint Vitus

Blessed Night
I Bleed Black
Clear Windowpane
Let Them Fall
The Bleeding Ground
Look Behind You
The Waste of Time
White Stalions
Mystic Lady
Dying Inside
Born Too Late

Artillery

When Death Comes
By Inheritance
Death is an illusion
The almighty
Mi Sangre (The Blood Song)
The challenge
10,000 Devils
Khomaniak
Terror Squad

Godflesh

Like Rats
Christbait Rising
Street Cleaner
Life Is Easy
Tiny Tears
Avalanche Master
Deadhead
Spite
Mothra
Pure
Crush My Soul
Slateman

Electric Wizard (in order/complete?)

Supercoven
Satanic Rites of Drugula
Dopethrone
Witchcult Today
Black Mass
Return Trip
The Chosen Few
Funeralopolis

Had a blast at MDF. I am planning to go back next year. I agree with AS that Godflesh was amazing. I have waited for so long to see them & they were everything I was hoping to see. I would love to have the chance to see them again. I was really bummed that they had no merch.

As usual, I saw a bunch of bands that I will probably never see again & discovered a bunch of new bands. Already listening to some of the bands I discovered this weekend today.

Now I need to wait until early July when they will make their initial announcements for next year. Would enjoy Carcass next year as a headliner. :kickass:

Totally forgot that they played this. They probably would've been my top band to see had I gone. What was their setlist like? More newer or older or a mixture of both?

Honestly the only Artillery album I have is "By Inheritance." I know they played the title track and Khomaniak, but I wasn't familiar with the rest of their set. However it was awesome. I was worried that they'd be too old to be any good live but they were tight as hell and the singer was in top form.

What was wrong with Saint Vitus?
Yeah, well, slower doom certainly was made for a bar at 1AM as opposed to an outdoor setting.

They came on right after Suffocation. It was horrible timing. I don't like Saint Vitus and I never have, but even if I was a fan I probably would have gotten bored. Suffo is one of the best live acts in metal.

How is it that Electric Wizard of all bands is the big unifier of this fest? They seem almost universally loved by the MDF attendees. It was amazing to watch everyone, literally everyone who cared about seeing bands pack the outside area for their set. For just about every other band it was easy to push through and get to near the front. That was impossible for Wizard. I had to be extremely rude just to get to where my friends were a little off to the side, and I was still a good bit far away. It would have been cool to see an aerial shot of the outdoor stage when they were playing. I've never seen it so crowded out there.