Maryland Deathfest IX

If announcements as untrue as this persist I might just skip it.

You mentioned having never listened to Neurosis before, so don't make such an assumption about them.

They're one of the few metal bands to capture a truly bleak, oppressive, and ominous atmosphere in their sound without resorting to cliched methods and aesthetics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to give a couple of their albums a few listens each; but these songs aren't doing much for me. I can sort of see the similarities with Swans; but "Locust Star" just comes across as pretty on the surface to me. I'm pretty sure I just have a biological aversion to any sort of sludge and that fucking "oppressive" percussive pattern that alternates between the toms and crashes used within the context of sludge/whatever. However, it can be awesome when a band like Reverend Bizarre does it.

Regardless, I'll be disappointed by anything that isn't old school death/black metal or Baltimore doom like Revelation. Godflesh is a band all of the SMNiggers keep mentioning that would be cool though.

Fair enough, but I couldn't be more excited about a band being announce than Neurosis!

They very rarely play live and are one of my favorite metal bands, so win situation for me.

For some reason, in keeping with the 'throw in a black metal band or two' thing they have had going on I could see Katharsis making an appearance for some reason.

Black metal that needs to grace MDF: Averse Sefira and Beherit. Katharsis would be cool too. Anything but the B-grade stuff like Naglfar.

Edit: There is no reason Inquisition shouldn't close the inside stage Saturday night.

Um, I am continually underwhelmed by these announcements. The last MDF was chock full of bands I loved, but this one has only a handful that I only have a (at the moment) warm interest in. I'm with Guy on this: if the final order is below par, I might as well spend my tax returns on something else.

Maybe I'll get to go this time.

Neuorsis, Blood Freak, Impaled Nazarene, Cianide, Devourment, Defeated Sanity, Hooded Menace... would like to see any of these.

Assuming we're talking about the Cianide that released The Dying Truth, yes.

That, and Cianide spelled that particular way only shows one band on M-A.

Edit: and they did apparently appear on a Celtic Frost tribue album.

I agree with the fact that there aren't many mindblowing bands yet. Last year, there were tons of awesome bands already.

eh. I don't need a lineup full of purely osdm to be happy with it. but I guess when people have an aversion to brutal death and grind this year isn't going to look very nice so far.

The Krusher remains my favorite death metal track of all time. Seeing it live, Martin in the flesh, made me want to kill every man, woman and child on earth with my bare hands.

I would love it if Haemorrhage decided to show this year, their absence was one of the greatest disappointments of my life.