Maudlin of the Well dissing Opeth

Additionally, in defense of the kids who liked the mp3 i posted, that clip sounds pretty awesome. I'd be psyched if I was anticipating a record that sounded like that, so commendations to them for liking it. I agree.

The metal "scene" is shit. Plain and simple. It is plagued with newbies and fanboys that start a war simply because their favorite band is slagged, or because someone else found a more underground band, rendering them a loser. The other half of the "metalheads" are elitists. I'm glad I'm not a "metalhead", because I'd probably have to act like a fucking loser, and start masturbating to posters of some overrated band.

I look on this board and see that 90% of the replies are from newer members and fanboys, so I'm not surprised by the immaturity of the responses.

Personally, I've never had the chance to hear MOTW's music, but that is not relevant here. What is relevant is the fact that another musician criticized your beloved Opeth. Holy shit! Call the fucking cops! If I had said what this MOTW member said, no one would have cared. So why is it such a big deal when another musician says it?

Seriously, you guys are acting like your nu-metal peers.

Based on this "argument", I think I'll check out some MOTW songs. Chances are, those songs will be better than Opeth's last three turds.

I read in an interview once that Mikael cuts and pastes songs together. I don't see the problem. I don't see the problem with not doing that either.

This thread is a perfect example of why I don't post much in the Opeth forum anymore, this was blown ridiculously out of proportion.

I love Opeth, and this thread makes me want to check out maudlin of the Well even more. :)

FuSoYa said:
Additionally, in defense of the kids who liked the mp3 i posted, that clip sounds pretty awesome. I'd be psyched if I was anticipating a record that sounded like that, so commendations to them for liking it. I agree.

2 points about this.

1) i cautiously liked the clip at best; it still rocks.

2) i'm not a kid.

FuSoYa said:

Bonus track Mr. Toby.. make it happen.

this thread WAS blown out of proportion, but this was also partly due to those defending motw, not simply those defending opeth.

wether it was the band's/bandmember intention to draw attention with such a statement or simply their/his honest opinion, i dont know. regardless, all this fuss made me want to listen to this band, and i ended up doing so. i have only heard 3 songs so far, but i have been pleasantly surprised, and enjoy their music thus far. it just goes to show that something good can come out of something as ugly as this thread.

i still believe opeth do a good job at blending in parts of their songs, wether they are cut and pasted, or not. what is important is the final product, not necessarily the production process...but this, like toby's statement, is an opinion. a lot of the people here need to chill when listening to another person's opinion. unfortunately, there will always be people who cannot follow through on this; it is inevitable, every band with a decent-sized following will always have them..its our job not to take their thoughts/responses to heart...

Hm..yeah. I think everyone got a little crazy with this thread.

Just..er..one thing I'm having trouble understanding.

WHY did everyone here had the urge to bash MOTW because Toby said that he thinks that Opeth cuts and pastes songs together?

Just...why? Simple question.

Yeah, that was a bit confusing to me as well, considering that cut and paste is a central theme in the style of music that I enjoyed the most in my teenage years (industrial, specifically the Skuppy school of in.dust). Cut and paste them sumbitches.

Well the old cut and paste debate rages on. Who has ever tried to write a metal song that is on this boards.
Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theatre all say in interviews they have riff tapes. Apparently Enter Sandman was a long lost riff from an old riff tape.
Cutting and pasting is the very nature of the music.
If you do not understand this basic fact you are profoundly out of touch with how a lot of music is made.
The beginning to the Ocean by Led Zeppilin was a mistake, a jam, a spur of the moment thing.
Man most pop music is the same. Even jazz greats like Charlie Parker "pasted" signature licks into various tunes.
Just get over it.
I hope to believe there is no divide between musicians and the non-musician fan but sometimes the gulf is wide as that cliched canyon in Arizona.

FuSoYa said:

As much as i love your music.... this post makes you sound full of yourself. Your an AWESOME musician... just PLEASE don't fall into the dreaded "yngwie" syndrom!!! :wave:

Smitty said:
As much as i love your music.... this post makes you sound full of yourself. Your an AWESOME musician... just PLEASE don't fall into the dreaded "yngwie" syndrom!!! :wave:

I took it more as him meaning that he liked that sort of avant-noise type stuff... not that he was bragging about some acheivement.. and I would hope he likes his own music :p

Jeez, I havent even heard MatW, but i do know that whoever the band member is (FuSoYa) is a wanker.
I'm not a fanboy or anything of opeth (i only have two albums), so you can't acuse me of that. Even if i Saw you saying the same stuff on another band i don't even like, i would still think you're a wanker. Even if i agree with you,

Just because i expect a certain amoun t of maturity from a musician in a semi-recognised band.And yes, it does differ from you and other fans in a forum as YOU are in a 'higher' position creditly from us,

So fucking grow up,

I could give two shits about the MOTW guy not liking Opeth's "cut and paste methods," but its the cocksucking he displayed later on that got me.

*Delays his ordering of Bath, due to extreme dickheadism*

LuminousAether said:
maudlin of the Well utterly shits on Opeth in every single way imaginable. Morningrise may be a great album, but maudlin of the Well's Bath and Leaving Your Body Map is better in every single way. Lyrically, vocally, musically, thematically, song structure-wise, the list goes on and on...

Oh and I agree with this post. Although I wouldn't quite say 'shits on', cos thats a bit too strong for me. I'd say, 'outdoes'.

deadair said:
so, when are you going to come up here? steph was even talking about setting up a show for the weekend. make a TR00 workshop event. thoughts?
hm. what sort of bands you have in mind to try and get to play? any good clubs close by?

the farmers market and auction thing sounds cool.
also: barbecue.
barbecue.jpg

MotW is so totally superior, really. they rule, striding the globe with massive continent-spanning steps, so godlike, so omnipotent, so omniscient. I won't expect most of you primitive life forms to understand.

blow.

Static said:
Oh and I agree with this post. Although I wouldn't quite say 'shits on', cos thats a bit too strong for me. I'd say, 'outdoes'.

I love maudlin about as much as you, but you have to admit, Toby is being VERY immature about this...