Medieval music (rock based)

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
Okay so I'm really liking the Jethro Tull "Best Of" album, and the Viking elements of Enslaved's "Frost" album, but can anyone recommend me some more medieval style rock music? What about Blackmore's Night - are they any good?

Blackmores night- dont like it at all- but I think it is just what you are looking for- plus its Richie Blackmore.

Um, there is an entire genre of metal dedicated to medievil style music. It's called Power Metal...

Some really good power metal bands are:

Symphony X (You'll like The Accolade and Accolade II)
Angra
Rhapsody (You should be in love with the lyrics)
Kamelot
Blind Guardian
Helloween

Power metal!? No no! I've heard that and it's not what I'm talking about. :D Have you heard jethro Tull's "Songs from the wood" or "Minstrel in the Gallery"? It's like mellow rock but with flutes and stuff - not like Helloween with overblown guitars and screaming vocals. I know those bands like that imagery, but the music itself isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Minstrel in the Gallery is a killer tune and an even better album. But, if I'm not mistaken, only half of the song is on the greatest hits. That's another album you should buy. It's actually, usually, my favorite.

The best examples of what I think you're looking for, and I think I do understand, are coming from Finland and Estonia. Sometimes it will be called viking metal and sometimes it will be called folk metal. My advice is that you just search the shit out of these scenes.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Okay so I'm really liking the Jethro Tull "Best Of" album, and the Viking elements of Enslaved's "Frost" album, but can anyone recommend me some more medieval style rock music? What about Blackmore's Night - are they any good?

Jethro Tull is awsome and it is a shame that I missed them in late August, but I will hold back my tears.

But anyway, like Phrozenspite stated, In Extremo is one. If you ask me, they probably lead that genre and started out by playing Medieval music at fetivals. One day they just decided to add guitars. They have done a lot of actual folk songs and even a couple of movements of Carmina Burana in their own style. Hell, they make their own instruments!

GENTLE GIANT! Their keyboardist was a conservatory-trained xylophonist with a profound knowledge of medieval theory. You can hear the medieval influence in a lot of their songs, especially pieces like "Talybont". Check them out. Oh, and a big "LOL" at the guy who suggested Blind Guardian.

this is from another thread:
AllWithinMyMonster said:
Oh nevermore cd' has horrible mixing. St anger blows. Emperor rules. Suck my big fat cock and lick it dry you fucking faggeteers! Stop bitching all the time.
and now....

AllWithinMyMonster said:
jethro tulls some gay shit

good work