Melody in Mikey's growls?

JesusChristPose

Logic Dictates
Oct 20, 2001
Pittsburgh, Pa
I was arguing this topic on another board...I say yes there is. One example can be found in the first verse of Demon of the Fall - in my mind, with my ears, I can hear the emotion, the melody in the way he sings that verse.

What say you all?

I think that mikael´s growling are more emotional than any other out there, at least of all I have heard. His growling are done with more talent I think.

Emotion and melody doesn't necessarily have to
be the same. There's always emotion in his voice,
but melody is not ALWAYS present. I'm not saying
it's better with melody or without, just stating facts :)

not quite related but:

before i got into opeth a few years ago, i was turned off by the death vocals, as so many metal newbies are. i've always loved humming/singing along with music, and i mistakenly thought i couldn't do that. uh...duh! the melodies in the actual instrumental music are so beautiful and just begging to be hummed! so that's why i continued listening to it, because they were the first band i had heard who combined the heavy death growls with true beauty. now of course, i love, even crave, the death vocals.

i've always loved humming/singing along with music, and i mistakenly thought i couldn't do that.

Actually i had the exact same problem and after the years went by i still had but eventually, i took the lead voice in my band for a while and after just 2 days of intense practice i found a nice ( well its not nice its just ok for a total amateur on vocals ) voice i could reach, kinda like the guy from Benediction in the grand leveler....I just tried to immitate other guys, first george fisher, then Lord Worm, Then David Vincent, and the list goes on until i was listening to Undirected aggression by benediction and right off i picked up a very similar voice...From there i started to actually get descent at some other range of voices and even high screams.

Since i dont wanna run away from making a point ( yet again ) i guess you should just try and try and try different styles until you hit a voice you can do and from there it might become easier

Originally posted by JesusChristPose
One example can be found in the first verse of Demon of the Fall - in my mind, with my ears, I can hear the emotion, the melody in the way he sings that verse.

What say you all?
That's strange...I agree with your point completely, that there is emotion and melody in Mikael's growlings. But I think that Demon of the Fall is not such a good example. I feel that the vocals at the beginning are some of the most different and least melodic growling Opeth has ever had, though I still love them. Anybody else see where I'm coming from...?

I think I know what you are talking about, JesusChristPose, but that's not true melody. I think if you hum along, you might find you are humming one note throughout. It's a trick that can be replicated on guitars using a wah pedal. You ever heard In Flames - Everything Counts? At the very beginning of it, there is a guitar part that I could swear isn't just one note, but it really is, it's just wah'ed. It's a trick of reducing or increasing the bass and treble in a certain note. In Demon of the Fall, there are parts where is growl is more bassy, and parts where it gets more trebly, sounding more like the screams on Morningrise. All the same note, just changes in the EQ, if you will.

Yes, definately. The effect of the vocals are increased on songs like Dirge For November (my fave on BWP) with the backing vocals. I love the lyrics of that song, which are incredibly emotional, as are the guitars. They have some excellent riffs in that song. One thing I like is the break where they have the litte sitar-like lead harmony there (or whatever you would call it), and then the grief and pain starts up again, and then it ends with that single note, conveying the slightest sliver of hope through all the despair.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Actually i had the exact same problem and after the years went by i still had but eventually, i took the lead voice in my band for a while and after just 2 days of intense practice i found a nice ( well its not nice its just ok for a total amateur on vocals ) voice i could reach, kinda like the guy from Benediction in the grand leveler....I just tried to immitate other guys, first george fisher, then Lord Worm, Then David Vincent, and the list goes on until i was listening to Undirected aggression by benediction and right off i picked up a very similar voice...From there i started to actually get descent at some other range of voices and even high screams.

Since i dont wanna run away from making a point ( yet again ) i guess you should just try and try and try different styles until you hit a voice you can do and from there it might become easier
hey, thanks for the advice, but i think you misunderstood me! :tickled: i meant that i, as a girl, wasn't able to sing along with him because he's not singing, he's growling, and i can't growl. hehe.

I knew that
Of course girls can growl and scream like the best of us. The only thing a girl couldnt do its some Deep clean voice like David Vincent on god of emptiness
If you still doubt girls can growl and scream try the new arch enemy :D

If growls are too hard start with a kinda black metalish high scream wich shouldnt present any problem and then start to lower your voice, at the end it might not sound exaclty like someone like george fish but you could reach someones voice like david vincent growls

I think it's insane to think that there is melody in those vocals. Most certainly, unless you have the lowest and most perceptive range of hearing in the universe, those vocals are nothing more than varying ranges of growls. No melody involved. Though the riffs on the guitars, by Opeth's nature, are very melodic, or at least oriented towards melodic leads or vocal melodies. I can easily come up with melodic vocal lines over almost any opeth riff, due to the way they are constructed. After listening to them for so long, I think you just start thinking that way. Therefore, I assume you are just imagining these melodies, and not really hearing them. :D

Hey JCP! It's martyrs lament from the DT board. Back on the topic of melody in the growls, aye? I totaly agree with you. No matter any one else says, I still think that there is melody in his growls.