Meshuggah

I think Meshugga are pretty screwed up.
Once upon a time I had their first album, but it wasn't really worth much I thought, so I got rid of it.

Try Destroy Erase Improve or Chaosphere. Their older stuff was typical thrash metal but they have now defined themselves as an extremely talented, technical, and unique band. Listen to "Future Breed Machine" or "Suffer in Truth".

Meshuggah fucking rules.

Heaviest band I know. Awesome and very complex music. Destroy Erase Improve is probably my favorite.

Destroy Erase Improve
This was the one I had, I thought it was their first full length.
Sorry for the confusion.

Awesome band.
Meshuggah is absolutely one of the hardest in-your-face bands I know. And it is not "cheap" music : it's technical, intelligent, and smart metal - tight, etc.
One of my favorite bands!

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Awesome band.
Meshuggah is absolutely one of the hardest in-your-face bands I know. And it is not "cheap" music : it's technical, intelligent, and smart metal - tight, etc.
One of my favorite bands!

couldnt have put it in a better way.. meshuggah really is great..

The complexity is in the polyrythmic structures. Unreal drumming, and some pretty fucked up solo's too. Meshuggah definately has pushed the boundaries of heavyness.

GO RIGOR MORTIS!

LOL..

yes, when you want to just head bang, Meshuggah is the place to go...

they are ok in small doses. I think their weird time schtick gets old pretty fast. a lot of the time the riffs just take four repetitions to repeat on the one...big deal. and the vocals can be very annoying. definately heavier bands out there, and more intense bands too. i like none the best probably. good band, but overrated i think.

you're right, the time gimmick does get old, and actually, you could really strain yourself trying to headbang to chaosphere because of that. but i still love em. they are to me what korn and bands like that would sound like if they were swedish and had musical talent. ignore the complexity and they are pretty similar to korn. they could use a better vocalist. but damn, i love swedish music. at least they try to do something new, which very few bands here in the states seem to do.

Originally posted by LostInFog
ignore the complexity and they are pretty similar to korn.
...holy crap.

I didn't think I would see this type of comment at the message board of a talented band like Opeth. You can't recognize the immense talent of Meshuggah? They sound nothing like Korn. Their stuff is NOT easy to play at all...they are considered by many to be one of the technical masters of metal. And how can you people call polyrhythms a "time gimmick"? It's not a gimmick, it's a talent.

Meshuggah is one of those bands that is definitely an acquired taste. When some people first hear them, they think it's just noise because of the odd timing and heaviness. But I have truly grown to love them and I hope some of you will be able to as well.

I just saw this at a different forum and thought I should post it here...basically what I was attempting to say in my previous post. I did not come up with any of this but I agree wholeheartedly with it.

-Hands down the greatest rhythms in metal music. Very complex time
signatures - stuff unheard of in every other band I've ever come
across. This includes so-called progressive groups. Perhaps you have
to be a musician to appreciate things like this.

-Very talented lead guitarist, who does things no other guitarist
does. For instance, he often uses a MIDI breath controller in tandem
with his guitar to create amazing sounds. A real virtuoso.

-Cool lyrics - and you have to remember that english is not their
native language. Yet their vocabulary on Chaosphere is better than 99%
of the english-speaking bands I've heard.

-Overall power/emotion/etc. I think the vocalist is great. I'm not
into death metal music at all, and I usually like singers who "sing,"
but this guy is awesome. Kind of like Phil Anselmo, but better.

-Great songwriting. Progressive metal. No 4/4 power chord-only
bullshit here. And the songs go places. Especially on Destroy, Erase,
Improve, which is less straightforward than Chaosphere.

-Firstly, what is a polyrhythmic structure? I consider myself quite experienced in music and music theory but have never come across a polyrhythm.
-most of their songs are actually quite simple time signatures, they just follow the guitar riff over a few bars. If your'e looking for complex time signatures, try Autechre
-The music isn't hard to play at all- you just need a fast picking hand. And since only one or two chords are used, your left hand hardly moves at all.
-I associate emotion with melody, and you have to admit that melody is lacking in Meshuggah
-I agree, some of the rhythms are interesting, but nothing you won't find in decent electronic music, which i'd much rather listen to.