Meshuggah's old sound

Uh, I'm not sure if you guys noticed but this thread was created specifically to discuss their old (Pre-Nothing) sound. You can love the sound of their newer material all you want - it just has no bearing or relevance to this thread.

I know, but it sounded like you were selling the truth on this subject ;)
Just making clear some people actually really like the catch 33 and Obzen sound, and saying that it doesn't go without saying hehe ;)

I need this one... NOW:

tc-booster.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks the Catch 33 tone is the greatest tone ever?

No, I think it's amazing too, but only when heard together with the bass. It's so smooth and has that elastic "rubber"-like quality too it that is unique for Meshuggah. Chaosphere has that same coherence between guitars and bass, but with a much more raw overall sound. Both types work exceptionally good, and I don't value one over the other. They're just a sign of a band evolving.

I had the TC integrated preamp pedal for a bit, it's a nice clean boost no doubt but there are plenty of other options that can do the same thing these days. My OD-9 works just fine as a boost for me, more coloration then the TC though.

tcelectronic_pre_001.jpg

This is the one you're looking for. 6,8Mohm input. 11db-22db of gain, depending on the power source. FYI the TS9 has a 550Kohm input. Maybe that can be a contribution to the coloration?

Most of the sound is the old Universe though. Instant classic chugga, especially through that old battered Marshall cab. ;)

Don't have much to add to this thread but... wtf is going on with the snare drum in those pics? I thought it was to stop bleed into the mic but I can't even SEE a mic.

Sorry, I haven't right answer for this, only idea:lol:
Mic is probably under this or probably only trigering (Daniel already do it with In flames album).

Btw Ermz, Daniel always use is TL Audio DTC for bass guitar...

Don't have much to add to this thread but... wtf is going on with the snare drum in those pics? I thought it was to stop bleed into the mic but I can't even SEE a mic.

Wouldn't it be aiming at the shell? I've read of people micing snare shells before, never tried it to be honest

Pickups used in the Universe? Dimarzio Blaze?
Or were they already using Lundgren at that point?
The sound is definitely pointing at Blaze pickups, which has a mid scooped quality to it.

I have to admit...
I had never listened to Chaosphere....
after Ermz mentioned the guitartone and after learning that it's g12t-75 (I'm still looking for t75 references), I ordered the Cd....it arrived today.
Fuck, this is indeed great! (also great bass sound)

I still wonder how DHIADW and Chaosphere can sound so clean and smooth with the t75 (usually I find them very fitty and a bit distant and hollow sounding)....I'll find out....