Meshuggah's old sound

Nope, the Universe model is in fact a 25.5 inch scale guitar.
52 is perfectly fine at Bb, seriously. I've used a 52 once before on my 7 string for B, it was a tiny bit too thin for me, but there was no issues with tone or tension, I just preferred a marginally more meaty string because of how it felt under my finger tips (54 or 56, currently using 56 for my B).
It's all about having the correct technique to make it work. When you're playing music as technical as Meshuggah's, it just doesn't make sense to put heavy gauge strings on there and have to be fighting the guitar like a madman to make it work. Sure, it can be done (heavier strings) but I personally don't think it's the best way to do it.

Nope, the Universe model is in fact a 25.5 inch scale guitar.
52 is perfectly fine at Bb, seriously. I've used a 52 once before on my 7 string for B, it was a tiny bit too thin for me, but there was no issues with tone or tension, I just preferred a marginally more meaty string because of how it felt under my finger tips (54 or 56, currently using 56 for my B).
It's all about having the correct technique to make it work. When you're playing music as technical as Meshuggah's, it just doesn't make sense to put heavy gauge strings on there and have to be fighting the guitar like a madman to make it work. Sure, it can be done (heavier strings) but I personally don't think it's the best way to do it.

You must be one of those that have an incredibly light picking hand.

My picking hand isn't light at all. There are lots of riffs you just can't play with proper conviction unless you dig in hard enough. In fact I used to break so many D strings because I picked too hard.
The key is not picking EXCESSIVELY hard, rather than me having a light picking hand as such, so that you don't make things go out or tune and sound terrible. Having those light strings is a very essential part of that clarity and snap to Meshuggah's sound, something often overlooked. Bigger strings sound darker and are less snappy, which depending on the individual is better or worse. For me personally, 9-42-54 (56) is the best sounding gauge you can get for 7 strings.

Well you always have to put the string gauge in context, not only to the scale (and obviously the tuning) but also to the other string gauges, respectively the total amount of strain.

Right now I play with 13-56 tuned to B, and I have to hold back not to crush the strings. I mean, I bang the shit out of those fuckers, and I already broke a brand new (wound) G string picking so damn hard. I guess growing up loving Paul Gilbert and fellating Pat O' Brian didn't help! :lol:

Thanks everyone for posting all the meshuggah info! Its kinda weird to me that they describe EMGs as being too plasticy, as I have always considered their tone to have a plastic quality. I guess if you are using a preamp booster, you may not want the coloration EMGs will impart, because the pre booster will end up giving the sound a similar color.

Thanks everyone for posting all the meshuggah info! Its kinda weird to me that they describe EMGs as being too plasticy, as I have always considered their tone to have a plastic quality. I guess if you are using a preamp booster, you may not want the coloration EMGs will impart, because the pre booster will end up giving the sound a similar color.

Well I did a test some time ago with all our "regular" guitars and it sounded good. Then I borrowed an ESP Baritone with EMG's and it sounded just like that. Plastic.

However I can make an EMG sound awesome, but when I try one of the "regular" guitars, it sounds almost overwhelming.

I like them all, but the guitar sounds need to be tweaked according to the source, so I understand them.