Metal Archives

Firen

nothing wild
May 15, 2005
How many of you guys check this site out? I usually go check out bands I don't know much about and whatnot. I found the Children of Bodom page pretty interesting.

Something Wild = 83% SW Review
Hatebreeder = 73% HB Review
Follow The Reaper = 87% FTR Review
Hate Crew Deathroll = 80% HCDR Review
Are You Dead Yet = 65% AYDY Review
Blooddrunk = 52% BD Review

The score I am most shocked about is the HB score. Now I know you guys don't really give a shit what people think about Bodom but I just found it interesting enough to share with you guys.

Why do you wonder when some reviews are written by Mofos like this idiot:

A large part of Hatebreeder is the solos. Every solo section on the album follows the same pattern - guitar first, then keyboard. The keyboard always plays something incredibly similar to the guitar, so it's like a recycled version of the solo I've just heard, and combined with the keyboard's annoyingly chirpy tone the keyboard solos are pretty awful. Such is best on display during the painfully bad solo duel at the end of the title track. The guitar solos, sadly, aren't much better. I don't know if Alexi just needed more practice at this point, but many of the guitar solos are just not as well composed as later works - listen to the closing solo of 'Black Widow' to see what I mean. Also, considering there's a lengthy solo in each track and a lack of substantial diversity between them, there's just too many solos on Hatebreeder overall.

Wtf?

Wow, you've got people writing huge reviews of bullshit like this: Blooddrunk is completely disposable, the epitome of pussification and cowardice. I'm ashamed ever to have liked this band. Bodom has nowhere left to go, for they have already watered down their sound to the utmost extreme. Utterly worthless.

Maybe it's better for your own health not to read that too much, or you'll start to believe it.

THIS is harsh.

Imagine if Alexi had actually succeeded in killing himself after Something Wild. Bodom’s reputation might have been legendary…

That was in the review of 'Follow the reaper'

I hate reviewers... they give 1 or 0% sometimes. I think no album deserves that kind of note. It's still well made and original. Review fusssss

Ugh I'm glad I didn't click on the link and instead only read the excerpts you guys posted...

jeez what a bunch of retards.

Never go by those reviews. Only rarely do you find reviews done by anyone with reviewing skills. Those that do have skills and post reviews are usually just taken from a different website and submitted there. It will say at the bottom of the review if it was already from somewhere else.

The only reason for me to go to Metal Archives (I like the name Encyclopaedia Metallum better though) is to check out some new bands. Like what genre (not really a big isssue, but just to see what they make out of it this time) and to see the discography.

Reviews = Opinions.

Good reviews = when they decribe the music, how it's made etc, and how good it's composed, not mixing with personal opinions.

/thread

Like Goethe used to say : Da hatt ich einen Kerl zu Gast,
Er war mir eben nicht zur Last;
Ich hatt just mein gewöhnlich Essen,
Hat sich der Kerl pumpsatt gefressen,
Zum Nachtisch, was ich gespeichert hatt.
Und kaum ist mir der Kerl so satt,
Tut ihn der Teufel zum Nachbar führen,
Über mein Essen zu räsonieren:
"Die Supp hätt können gewürzter sein,
Der Braten brauner, firner der Wein."
Der Tausendsakerment!
Schlagt ihn tot, den Hund! Es ist ein Rezensent.

Reviews are shit. If they're not based on opinions they're based on rules like how something should have been composed(or written,etc). There rarely good reviews which deal with the content in an open minded way.

who gives a fuck what reviews say. if you like it, you like it, if youi dont you don't. why waste breath on writing stuff where most the people probably don't give a shit. most of them are biased.

Exactly the people who write reviews like that are the guys/girls who fail terribly at playing e.g. "In the shadows" at half the original speed and spread absolute bullshit about great skilled people just out of jealousy.

It's clearly visible that reviews are purely based on personal taste if you look at all reviews for Hatebreeder for example. Someone gave it 98% which is almost perfect, several people gave it 90-95% which is also very good and then someone gives it 3%... What the fuck? And in all those bad reviews it's stated in first sentence that reviewer doesn't like Bodom in general. What's the point in reviewing albums from bands you already hate? Perhaps some twisted sense of pleasure you get when officially bashing bands you don't like.